PDA

View Full Version : Potential parent no contact advice

Louise317
13-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Hello you lovely lot :)

I had a parent visit me Wednesday, seemed happy, child cried when leaving because she didn't want to go... I sent her away with a parent pack and said have a few days to think about it. She said she'd let me know Friday after speaking to her husband.

Well end of Monday now and no contact...

Do you make contact and ask for a decision ?
I was thinking of sending a text, saying it was nice to meet her did she want to take the place and maybe some feedback ??

This is my first one so don't really know how to handle it, if she says no its fine but just would like to know really.

TIA - Louise x

marnieb
13-06-2011, 04:26 PM
If I have a mobile number and the parent seemed keen, then I do text.

But - you have to get used to this, it happens so often!! Parenst dont seem to think/care about getting in touch, and I always make a point of asking them to let me know if they don't want the space, but even then they dont bother.

Louise0208
13-06-2011, 04:29 PM
i would drop a txt to ask if she is interested as you have had another enquiry and need to get back to the other potential parent within the next 24hrs & it only seemed fair that she had first refusal :thumbsup:

if they respond - all good

if they dont respond then its obviously there not interested & were not very reliable anyway :D

Bushpig
13-06-2011, 04:31 PM
I leave it. If they want me, they want me. And I never text parents unless to give updates re how a child is during the day when in my care. To me, texting is unprofessional otherwise. Phone/send an email rather.

Louise317
13-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Yeah have a mobile no'... prefer to text don't like talking lol

Would you ask for feedback ? or just nice to meet let me know kinda thing ?

I'm OK with rejection just don't like the unknown :)

acorns
13-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Yes I would text, just so you can stop wondering. I think it's just courtesy to let you know, but unfortunately the majorty of prospective clients I have had don't seem to agree.

Louise317
13-06-2011, 04:49 PM
thinking of sending

"Hi ***, I hope you are well. It was nice to meet you and your Daughter last week. I was just wondering if you wanted to take up one of my places as I have a couple more enquiries this week ? Thank you - Louise"

rickysmiths
13-06-2011, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't dream of texting. I always phone and talk. I would want my parent pack back. Ring and ask if they could pop it in or if you could go and pick it up because you have other parents coming round to see you.

Bushpig
13-06-2011, 05:00 PM
I would not text. It's lazy and unprofessional. Seriously.

I would phone her, thank her for coming and ask her to let you know if she has any more queries for you re your service? Hopefully that'll open up the conversation of whether she's interested or not.

The thing with asking if she'd like the place is it might make you sound desperate, and you don't want that (even if you are!).

grindal
13-06-2011, 05:00 PM
I would not have a problem with sending or receiving a text. I dont think there is anything unprofessional about a text (as long as it is not text speak!) it is an acceptable form of communication.
I always follow up parents who have come to see me and do not bother to get back in touch - although they often ignore the text!!

miffy
13-06-2011, 05:01 PM
I might be in the minority but I wouldn't text either.

It is only Monday and parent might have had a busy weekend or been ill.

If you really need to know then phone and speak to her but it could be she has just not made a decision yet.

Miffy xx

Louise317
13-06-2011, 05:16 PM
I do have a phone phobia but if I do it without really thinking I should be OK :)

I'm going to leave it till tomorrow, I have another parent visiting in the morning so I'll deal with that one first.

Thank you for your replies xx

miffy
13-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Good luck with the visit tomorrow :)

Maybe this one will sign up straight away!

Miffy xx

Louise317
13-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Good luck with the visit tomorrow :)

Maybe this one will sign up straight away!

Miffy xx

Thanks Miffy.

Tomorrows one is a lady I met on the Childminding course who didn't continue the journey (Infact out of the 7 that was in our little group(19 in total) only I did!!). Its only for a few hours a couple of days a week but its a start if she says yes.

alwaysright
13-06-2011, 06:00 PM
i dont think txting is unprofessional however i still wouldnt do it! if a parent comes to see me and doesnt bother to get back to me then i wouldnt dream of contacting them, i just think if they want to use me then they would get back to me, unfortunately its just part of the job....but what annoys me more is if they ring an make an appointment to come and see me and then dont turn up :angry:

Tealady
13-06-2011, 09:28 PM
but what annoys me more is if they ring an make an appointment to come and see me and then dont turn up :angry:

That is when I text... just a quick one to confirm our appointment, normally that day or the evening before. I have found it does prompt a response, often with a lame excuse, as to why they're not coming, but at least I haven't wasted time waiting.

Greengrass74
14-06-2011, 07:45 AM
I leave it. If they want me, they want me. And I never text parents unless to give updates re how a child is during the day when in my care. To me, texting is unprofessional otherwise. Phone/send an email rather.

Totally agree texting is unprofessional, give them a phone call

Louise0208
14-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Texting unproffesional??...... what a load of tosh! its the same as an email but though a phone! :rolleyes: :laughing:

banks text, schools text, our doctors surgery text, delivery companies text, gas/electricians/council repair men text with approx arrival times

if its so unprofessional then why do all the above professions use it as a completely acceptable way of communication?

i would rather receive a text message from a company or person than take time out and stop everything im doing to find the phone to be told the same thing! :thumbsup:

marnieb
14-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Texting unproffesional??...... what a load of tosh! its the same as an email but though a phone! :rolleyes: :laughing:

banks text, schools text, our doctors surgery text, delivery companies text, gas/electricians/council repair men text with approx arrival times

if its so unprofessional then why do all the above professions use it as a completely acceptable way of communication?

i would rather receive a text message from a company or person than take time out and stop everything im doing to find the phone to be told the same thing! :thumbsup:

Couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!

if I was looking for a cm, I'd be wondering what her mindees were doing while she was on the phone to me!!!! It's the same reason why I dont answer my home phone during the day - I'm working and can't answer the phone!!!

Rubybubbles
14-06-2011, 12:45 PM
I don't agree with texting either:p wait until a quiet period then phone :)

Or don't then when you fill the space and they phone say (whilst grinning to yourself) aw sorry the space has already been filled (teehee)

sweets
14-06-2011, 01:15 PM
i'm for texting :thumbsup:

Greengrass74
14-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!

if I was looking for a cm, I'd be wondering what her mindees were doing while she was on the phone to me!!!! It's the same reason why I dont answer my home phone during the day - I'm working and can't answer the phone!!!

Firstly I would phone out of hours.

I'll stick to my guns in this instance I believe texting is unprofessional you should be talking and getting feedback, if she does not want the space you can ask why, it might be something that you are able to improve or can discuss with her which means she might then want the space and you have another space filled..

I do agree that in some cases texting is ok like stated council men, deliveries etc. but you do loose the personal touch,

this is only my opinion and I certainly would not text any possible new parent

marnieb
14-06-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm at a loss why you think texting is unprofessional. In this day and age it is the most common form of communication, and when you work a 12 hour day and have your 2 small children to deal with at night, the opportunity to ring someone might not be until 8.30 at night, and I would never dream of phoning someone that late to find out if they want me or not!!!!!!

The long and the short of it is this - a parent comes to see you, makes all the right noises about liking you, your setting, and gives every impression that they will be calling you soon to arrange settling in sessions. Then you dont hear from them at all, probably because they found someone closer to home, someone cheaper, or someone they liked more than you. Then they are too embarrased to phone you as they had all but promised you the work, and dont want to tell you in person or over the phone the reason why.

So, texting is the easiest answer, because if they choose not to answer it, then you can move on as you've given them a chance to respond, or they can reply with a simple text saying 'no thank you', and no-ones feelings get hurt or gets embarrassed.

I'd be more embarrased at phoning someone up, and demanding to know why they didn't choose me!!!! :blush:

Bushpig
14-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Texting is certainly not the most common form of communication in my life. In a local teens life possibly, but not mine nor that of my friends or family.

No-one said you 'demand' to know why you've heard nothing via a phone, THAT would be unprofessional.. this is why I don't phone them at all. If they want me, they want me. They will contact me. Usually by... :eek: phone

I make any calls during lunch, if all the kids are sleeping okay, and in the early evening. I have busy commitments in the evenings, and am always aware others have sleepy-time/dinner happening etc. hence me emailing more often too, after hours. They can choose to ignore an email if they wish. But at least I have it in writing, with my childminding name, website, tel no. etc. on it.

The only time I text a parent is when a child is settling/feeling unwell, and I need to keep parents aware of how they are doing. They might text me if they're running late, which is fine. Usually they phone me.

Greengrass74
14-06-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm at a loss why you think texting is unprofessional. In this day and age it is the most common form of communication, and when you work a 12 hour day and have your 2 small children to deal with at night, the opportunity to ring someone might not be until 8.30 at night, and I would never dream of phoning someone that late to find out if they want me or not!!!!!!

The long and the short of it is this - a parent comes to see you, makes all the right noises about liking you, your setting, and gives every impression that they will be calling you soon to arrange settling in sessions. Then you dont hear from them at all, probably because they found someone closer to home, someone cheaper, or someone they liked more than you. Then they are too embarrased to phone you as they had all but promised you the work, and dont want to tell you in person or over the phone the reason why.

So, texting is the easiest answer, because if they choose not to answer it, then you can move on as you've given them a chance to respond, or they can reply with a simple text saying 'no thank you', and no-ones feelings get hurt or gets embarrassed.

I'd be more embarrased at phoning someone up, and demanding to know why they didn't choose me!!!! :blush:

Firstly I don't phone demanding to know why, just to get some feedback, after all it is our business and livelihood and in the current climate some of us cannot afford to loose business so getting feedback is great should we need to improve anything.

Maybe I am old school and believe that a good old fashioned conversation works best, works well for us anyway and I will continue to use the telephone to speak with potential new parents. :thumbsup:

Lady Haha
14-06-2011, 07:35 PM
I had a visit about a month ago and she seemed really keen, child didnt' want to leave etc etc, she even recognised the son of one her friends as being one of my mindees from our photo display in the playroom, so I was almost certain she would get back to me to do contracts (the current mindees mum thinks I'm the bees knees!!)

Well, a week later and nothing! So I did text!!!! Just a polite 'it was nice to meet you and x last week and I was wondering if you were still interested in the space?'.....within five mins she texted back saying she had decided to go with another childminder, thanks anyway blah blah. I was abit shocked as I thought it was in the bag! I sent her another text asking if she minded me asking why just in case it was something I needed to improve upon. She replied again saying her daughter had just clicked with the other minder and there was another child from the same preschool there that she was already friends with, so nothing personal. I then sent text thanking her for replying and wishing her and X all the best with the other minder.

As for texting, I think my experience shows that she only let me know because I sent her a text to ask first and she then had the easy option of texting me back to turn me down. Everyones a winner!

To be fair, it must be quite awkward to make a point of picking up the phone and ringing some one up just to tell them you don't want them!

Helcatt
14-06-2011, 08:41 PM
To be fair, it must be quite awkward to make a point of picking up the phone and ringing some one up just to tell them you don't want them!

This is why I do text, it doesn't put them on the spot - though they could refuse to answer if I called them.

Over the years I have had two people phone to tell me they wouldn't use me and one was happy to talk about reasons why - had thought it was in the bag! The other, I just knew before she left that I was not what she was looking for anyway

I have had a couple email but generally, I just don't hear from them again - one woman didn't get in touch for months and then when she finally did, I was very pleased to say that the space had been filled

I've had two recently who haven't been back to me, one I was so sure would! Even talking about dates for settling in - met her 4 times now, babies dad 3 times - what more can you do???? The other, again, I just knew before she left that I would not hear from her again

HX