PDA

View Full Version : Fire safety requirements

jumpinjen
30-04-2008, 08:05 PM
hi,

I'm abit confused about what posters or information I need to have displayed and where, about fire and evacuation... can you clarify it for me??

Also, what and how do you make an evacuation plan... we have three possible downstairs exit and I'd just go for the nearest one that wasn't right by the fire, how do I make that clear??

Finally, our little bed room that I want to register for overnight care, doesn't have awindow that opens big enough for breathing apparatus as is now standard in all new windows... fire service said it's ok as the layout of the house supports a good evacuation, but can i state in my fire policy/ procedure that I would collect from the little room first as to be trapped in there is the most dangerous???

Help please!!

Jenni x:eek:

donnahay0
30-04-2008, 08:11 PM
You could always make a floor plan of your house showing the fire exits - have a look at the Bromley childminding website http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/stands/national_standard5.html for a sample layout.

sarah707
30-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Just draw it like you see it... then practice it with the children when they are in different rooms.

I know, for example, that the fire brigade say not to go upstairs, just to get out and leave upstairs to them...

Write down how it went and what went wrong / well... this will tell you if what you are thinking you are going to do is actually do-able. :D

crazybones
30-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Just draw it like you see it... then practice it with the children when they are in different rooms.

I know, for example, that the fire brigade say not to go upstairs, just to get out and leave upstairs to them...

Write down how it went and what went wrong / well... this will tell you if what you are thinking you are going to do is actually do-able. :D

Good advice from Sarah. A little tip from me. I had a very reluctant mindee with regard to fire drills and had an inspection due so was worried she would ask him about what to do in a fire drill and he would say "I dont move and Anne-Marie grabs my arm and takes me to the door:o " Anyway I got him to draw a picture of what he thought fire would look like and then I would stick it around the house and do a drill so he could decide himself what exit we could use depending on where he could see his picture. It worked a treat but it would also make me think what exit to use. Sorry if this is a waffle but I am nearly at the end of the bottle and in the last minute of the match :panic:

jumpinjen
30-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Donna,

that was really helpful thankyou... i have book marked that to go back when I'm not so tired...

I was thinking of overnight if there was a fire, saying to collect from that room first... I'd be a fireman's nightmare cos i'd go back if at all possible if I hadn't managed to get everyone out the first time!!

Thanks for the hints though! Jenni x

buildingblocks
30-04-2008, 10:35 PM
I was thinking of overnight if there was a fire, saying to collect from that room first...

in the case of the fire overnight you would
collect all the children and take them into a room so you were all together
phone fire brigade on mobile (you make sure you have this if you are providing over night care with you in case of emergencies)
open window and shout for help and hope someone comes with a ladder to help you get out - not sure about me as I am trerrified of heights so not sure me and a ladder would go well together)
I also have a neighbours number and would ring htem to bring a ladder across

I'd be a fireman's nightmare cos i'd go back if at all possible if I hadn't managed to get everyone out the first time!!Thanks for the hints though! Jenni x

Like you though in the reality of it I would be trying to get everyone out especially if it was a mindee