PDA

View Full Version : Water, aaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

love381
13-06-2011, 06:45 AM
I have a parent who's requested her child NEVER to be offered/given any water. Says he doesn't really like it! He has drunk water for me in the past (been with me for 7 years on and off) and he drinks bottled water when we're out and I've seen him bring a bottle of water to Sports day and things. Has signed some paper and stated I must NEVER give him water, EVER!! Will this go against the 'must have access to water' type thing?! x

miffy
13-06-2011, 06:50 AM
Has she said why she doesn't want him to have water? Seems bizarre to me given that he takes it to school and I'm sure that school won't be giving him juice!

Miffy xx

gigglinggoblin
13-06-2011, 06:52 AM
thats one of the oddest things I have ever heard.

love381
13-06-2011, 06:56 AM
She says it becomes a battle to make him drink it. I don't normally have any "battles" with him in that sense. The only difficulty I have with him is if he isn't finished at the table and the others get down, but this is normally to do with meals. He tends to throw a mega paddy because he feels he's missing out on what the others might be doing when they've finished. (When I say mega paddy, I mean TOTALLY MENTAL!!) These "battles" are far and few between, he tends to learn his own lessons and eat a bit quicker and chat a bit less at the table etc. She's strange full stop, but hey-ho. My concern is what OFSTED will say as I won't be giving him access to any water. x

sonia ann
13-06-2011, 07:08 AM
you can make sure he has access to water if he wants it , just like you always do.....................you will fulfil Ofsted requirements............he doesn't have to drink it

love381
13-06-2011, 07:10 AM
you can make sure he has access to water if he wants it , just like you always do.....................you will fulfil Ofsted requirements............he doesn't have to drink it

Thank you, I did think that might be the case. Just had a wibble this morning, that's all! x

blue bear
13-06-2011, 07:12 AM
I bet he has had a paddy and in his rage had brought up you giving hm water, children can lay al sorts of guilt on parents for working. She has obviously promised him she would tell you not to give him water to calm hi
Down.

I would explain you can't possibly do the no water at all, that is your policy and eyfs ofsted etc, but will where possible offer a choice.

wendywu
13-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Yes and i would tell the mum this and also tell her that if you agree to with hold water then Ofsted would throw the book at you and she would have to find another CM as you would be struck off:laughing: :laughing:

That should scare her :thumbsup:

love381
13-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Yes and i would tell the mum this and also tell her that if you agree to with hold water then Ofsted would throw the book at you and she would have to find another CM as you would be struck off:laughing: :laughing:

That should scare her :thumbsup:

I've told her, she doesn't seem to care. She said OFSTED wouldn't be so stupid! HAHA, she should be so lucky! I think I'll stick with offering water out to ALL children and leave it up to him to choose in that sense! I know it's going to cause friction in the end though, because he'll want juice and then others will want juice etc!!! Might just start colouring water with natural colourings so he thinks it's juice!! It could even be coloured weeks etc!! HAHA! x

rickysmiths
13-06-2011, 08:33 AM
She says it becomes a battle to make him drink it. I don't normally have any "battles" with him in that sense. The only difficulty I have with him is if he isn't finished at the table and the others get down, but this is normally to do with meals. He tends to throw a mega paddy because he feels he's missing out on what the others might be doing when they've finished. (When I say mega paddy, I mean TOTALLY MENTAL!!) These "battles" are far and few between, he tends to learn his own lessons and eat a bit quicker and chat a bit less at the table etc. She's strange full stop, but hey-ho. My concern is what OFSTED will say as I won't be giving him access to any water. x

I must say in my house no one leaves the table until everyone has finished their meal. This is part of learning table manners.

As far as the water thing is concerned. If the child is 7+ then they can make their own choices. Unless there is a clear medical reason for him not to have water and this has been detailed in writing to you then if he asks for water to drink you can not refuse him, it is his human right to have access to water. You don't say what the mum is suggesting you do offer him to drink instead.

In my house I offer milk or water, water is always available in the childrens beakers on the table, the older ones have their cups and can help themselves from my fridge, it has a water dispenser on the front.

I would be having a serious chat with mum and be asking for her reasons in writing for not wanting her child to be offered water so it is on his file for OFSTED.

love381
13-06-2011, 08:39 AM
I must say in my house no one leaves the table until everyone has finished their meal. This is part of learning table manners. We used to do this, but a couple of children would nibble their food and enjoy holding other children back!!

As far as the water thing is concerned. If the child is 7+ then they can make their own choices. Unless there is a clear medical reason for him not to have water and this has been detailed in writing to you then if he asks for water to drink you can not refuse him, it is his human right to have access to water. You don't say what the mum is suggesting you do offer him to drink instead. She says he's to only have juice and will supply extra juice and will supply extra if necessary.

In my house I offer milk or water, water is always available in the childrens beakers on the table, the older ones have their cups and can help themselves from my fridge, it has a water dispenser on the front.

I would be having a serious chat with mum and be asking for her reasons in writing for not wanting her child to be offered water so it is on his file for OFSTED.

Like the idea of having a further chat so it can be logged, this is getting daft now! x

Jods
13-06-2011, 08:58 AM
I would just pop the jug of water out for all, if he drinks it he drinks it, dont beat yourself up over it, 'you can take a horse to water but you cant make them drink' x

If it really is hacking you off, then speak to your health visitor (obviously not about mum) but to see if there are any leaflets on drinking water blah blah, and the healthy eating bits, and shove them in his bag, as long as you try to do the information bit, and Ofsted can see this then there are no problems, you could also go down the Teeth/dentist route with her x

honestly dont worry, at the end of the day bad parental decisions do not make YOU a bad childminder :D

Cammie Doodle
13-06-2011, 09:05 AM

I totally agree Sonia ann.

What a strange request from a Parent, I can understand, no sweets etc , but WATER !!!!!!!!!!

mumto3
13-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Did u say she wanted u to sign something to say u wouldnt give him water?

I wouldnt dign it, I would say it goes against everything u and ofsted believe in, water is offered to all children and u allow them freedom of choice so if he choices to have it then thats his decision

I dont get it at all, does she not see that water is healthier than lots of juice, does she want his teeth to rot, silly woman, very odd i must say

love381
13-06-2011, 10:14 AM
This is turning into a nightmare. I get that I can just put the water out and let him not choose to drink it, but what am I supposed to do at meal times. Up until now, all children are given a beaker of water at the meal time and again it's their choice to drink or not etc. Afternoon snack is normally with milk and juice is a treat sometimes, always low sugar ones etc. What am I supposed to do, give him milk at meals and then all others will want milk etc? x

wendywu
13-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Mine have Milk with snacks, Juice or Milk with meals and water every other time they want a drink.:)

You could always give him PLJ juice :eek: think then he would rather have water :laughing:

ChocolateChip
13-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Never heard anything so strange, tbh.

I would explain that I couldn't agree to that as it against regulations, you have to have water available for everyone.
She is saying it is a 'battleground' issue, I would say that it may be at home but that it is not an issue at yours and therefore you will continue to offer water as you do for everyone else but there is no pressure and it is up to him if he wants to drink it.
She has been with you long enough to know your policies and what you provide I think it's a bit late in the day to be laying down the law about what he can and can't have. Unless she can give you written medical evidence to say there is a medical reason that he can't have it! ;)
I also think if you agree to this one it may pave the way for other requests in the future and before you know you'll be jumping through hoops to please everyone. It's one thing not making a child eat/drink things you know they don't like but it's another to start signing agreements to it :(

Just to add that I also give milk and juice, not just water!

onceinabluemoon
13-06-2011, 05:05 PM
personally I wouldn't do it! He would have water the same as the others or leave

I will not give children juice no matter how much they demand it. All the children who came here with 'he wont drink water it'll have to be juice' drink water perfectly well here because they know they're not going to get anything else! (other than their milk at snack time)

If mum wants to rot his teeth let her, but you stick to your policies. Good luck xx

ps low sugar juices can be worse for them than normal sugary ones, sugar may rot their teeth but aspartame has been linked with infertility and cancer amongst other things. x