PDA

View Full Version : Oxford Reading Tree

Jods
11-06-2011, 04:46 PM
I have heard great things about this, and just to say that a child in my setting can read (3) due to his dad following this structure x

Now its been a while (my youngest is 9) since I did any phonics/lower level reading support (apart from preschool), and I was wondering what do you use if any, and has anyone experienced this system ??

thyanks :)

sarah707
11-06-2011, 04:49 PM
It is always best to find out what system the child's teachers (reception / year 1) are going to use.... because otherwise you could have a very confused child when they start school.

Hth :D

Jods
11-06-2011, 05:07 PM
mmmmmm three schools local to me support this also, as have no mindees so will keep it open, just wondering of others exeprience, they do synthetic phonics the same as the school around here (no schools do Jolly Phonics), we support synthetic phonics at pre school x

WibbleWobble
11-06-2011, 05:28 PM
no advice but i do have lovely memories of DD1 reading about biff and kipper!

mandy xx

PixiePetal
11-06-2011, 07:05 PM
no advice but i do have lovely memories of DD1 reading about biff and kipper!

mandy xx

and chip and floppy!

onceinabluemoon
11-06-2011, 07:07 PM
My local school do this and I have the whole 'at home' set which I start reading to mindees /with mindees when they ask to read them.

loocyloo
11-06-2011, 07:17 PM
DS & DD learnt using a combination of jolly phonics and oxford reading tree.
(and some others that i can't remember the name of, but were australian and i thought excellent!)

oxford reading tree have recently published a new reading scheme called 'project X' which is aimed more at boys ( ;) !!! ) but the girls love them too. each level has a theme which has some story books and some non-fiction in it, using the same characters, and the lower level books have lots of parental involvement pages and ideas for as you are going along.

the school DD & DS now attend just use the oxford reading tree.

i've always used jolly phonics with LO, as as way of re-inforcing phonic sounds for letters & blends. they enjoy the stories & rhymes.

i loathe letterland!

Pipsqueak
11-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Check out the pack Letters and Sounds... this is what schools use.

Oxford reading tree... hate them.. having my three kids used them... and my mindees use them and they love reading to me.....

arrgghghhghhhhhhh

blue bear
12-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Big Ort fan, my boys loved the stories, I have lots of stage 1 ones got for mindees, just pictures, that they take home to read to mum and dad, gets them in the habit, starts page turning, left to right just the basics.
I'm always amazed how many families don't read with their children and this just gives some quality time together.

I have had children learn to read with them but that's only because they want to and were asking ( children) but really it's just fun and the pictures make me laugh even though Ïve seen them a million times!

RachelE
12-06-2011, 03:54 PM
We like Oxford reading tree too and both my children have used it at school.
I do like to listen to dd (just turned 5) read me the adventures of Biff, Floppy etc!

I have to say, I do like Letterland. Ds knew all of his letters before the age of 2 and this was through me reading letterland stories with a mindee and doing letterland activites with them.

Rachel x

miffy
12-06-2011, 04:19 PM
My youngest ds hated the Oxford reading tree books so we never used them.

I think you can buy them from WHSmith's if that is the scheme your schoolis using.

Miffy xx

love381
12-06-2011, 05:01 PM
We have every reading book the Oxford Tree have ever written, we are definately an Oxford Tree fan in here! My son is now nearly 10 and at 5 and a half years old he had the reading age of a 9 year old and at age 7 he had the reading age of a 13 and a half year old!! The variety was the key for my son as when he'd "mastered" a book, it was a bit boring after that!

My second son is reading at above average too and he's nearly 5. We've used all the Oxford Tree for him, but also bought a set similar to school which is the Rigby Star ones (not as impressed with these ones though, but children seem to love them!).

Also have some Ruth Miskin ones, she was mentioned in a governors meeting once, so I kept it in mind!! Picked up a full set of Independent Reading books by ladybird, in a sort of levels/scheme at a car boot once. Have some Gold Stars reading books that my parents got for the children at various times too.

Have since bought a few Snapdragons and Songbirds ones as the titles interested us.

Favourite ones of all though - Peter and Jane!! I have a two and a half year old who can read these beginners ones! And I do mean read, as she'll read it if you type the words on PC, write them out etc not just in the book!

I am a very strong believer in going with the child - what interests them, etc. As I said, my first is a variety reader, can't read a book more than once or twice as he remembers what is happening and this variety has lead to us having more books than a library (no joke!!).

x

Jiorjiina
12-06-2011, 05:42 PM
As I said, my first is a variety reader, can't read a book more than once or twice as he remembers what is happening and this variety has lead to us having more books than a library (no joke!!).
x

Ha, that is exactly what I was like as a child. I still have most of my books, and a lot more. Just to warn you, if your house looks like a library now, it'll look like if Amazon warehouse by the time they're off to uni! ;)

Um, since I'm still new to all of this, what do we do if we can't do phonics? I learned to read using Janet and John and the very old fashioned word recognition style (this was in the 80's, it was just an old fashioned school), and when I moved to prep school they used phonics. I could not for the life of me understand it meant, and I have never been able to get to grips with it (later turned out I have dyspraxia, which really doesn't help!).

love381
12-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Um, since I'm still new to all of this, what do we do if we can't do phonics? I learned to read using Janet and John and the very old fashioned word recognition style (this was in the 80's, it was just an old fashioned school), and when I moved to prep school they used phonics. I could not for the life of me understand it meant, and I have never been able to get to grips with it (later turned out I have dyspraxia, which really doesn't help!).

I would go with the children, they teach me the "new" ways at school etc. You don't have to know/do/teach it really, go with the flow! Even if you just do the initial bits at school, like A says a sort of thing. We've got lots of toys that teach the sounds too. The MOST amazing toy EVER is the Leapfrog Fridge Phonics toy - my 2 and a half year old knows all upper and lower case letters (what they look like, sound like etc) she is bright, I know that, but she's learnt so much from that toy (and my help too). My 4 and a half year old took this toy to his nursery last year and they have since bought two of them and he took it into reception a few months back and the reception teacher has bought one too!!

x