PDA

View Full Version : Lap belts and car seats

pinkbutterfly
10-06-2011, 11:49 AM
I've just bought a 'new' car (Vauxhall Zafira). This is my first seven seater and bought it in mind expanding my business. To my horror when I decided to put the car seats in today I realised that the middle seat has just a lap belt. Now I know that a booster seat will not be safe there ... are there any other seats that are compatible with lap belts ... or maybe a clever device somebody has thought of somehow to convert a lap belt into a proper seat belt. It really freaked me out as if I had realised this yesterday I probably wouldn't have bought it. Any advice appreciated ....

christine e
10-06-2011, 12:03 PM
There are some stage 2 car seats that can be fitted using a lap belt - suggest a visit to Halfords where you can have a chat with them and then test the seat in your car before buying

Cx

rickysmiths
10-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Can you take it back? Did they know you needed to put car seats in all the seats? If you got it from a garage and they knew this was what you needed you may be able to pursuade them to swap it on the grounds of 'Not fit for purpose' under the Sale of Goods Act.

clio0602
10-06-2011, 12:11 PM
I think britax prince seats can be fitted with lap belts 9 to 18kg and narrow aswell so can fit others nxt to it :thumbsup:

pinkbutterfly
10-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a britax car seat and spent 20 minutes fitting it in with the lap belt. I think it fits well ... the seat doesn't move when I try to shake it and the seatbelt is tight to the sides as recommended. So the panic is over .....

christine e
10-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a britax car seat and spent 20 minutes fitting it in with the lap belt. I think it fits well ... the seat doesn't move when I try to shake it and the seatbelt is tight to the sides as recommended. So the panic is over .....

So pleased now go and enjoy your new car

CX

kel1983
10-06-2011, 02:06 PM
We got a Zafira with a lapbelt. We looked on the Britax website and they show you what is suitable. I think its the Prince. We were looking at this one in Tesco today. It was £120 :eek:

gigglinggoblin
10-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Not all car seats can be used with lap belts, you need to check that yours is suitable, something to do with strength where the belt goes rather than fit. When we bought one the 'advisor' (i use the term loosely' at Halfords recommended one to us and we said it was no good as it had a big sign on saying 'not suitable for use with lap belts'. He said 'oh they all say that, doesnt mean anything'. I am guessing it would mean an awful lot in a crash or to your insurance!

pinkbutterfly
10-06-2011, 04:31 PM
He said 'oh they all say that, doesnt mean anything'.
:eek: I would just thank him for the advice :eek:

vix84
17-06-2011, 07:37 PM
:eek: I would just thank him for the advice :eek:

my advisor from there told me 'when I was younger I used to just use a lap belt with no seats and Im fine' :eek: I just stared lol, felt like asking so he had been involved in a crash had he lol. Absolute madness, how can a car seat fitter say this?!

Mookins
17-06-2011, 08:12 PM
I've just bought a 'new' car (Vauxhall Zafira). This is my first seven seater and bought it in mind expanding my business. To my horror when I decided to put the car seats in today I realised that the middle seat has just a lap belt. Now I know that a booster seat will not be safe there ... are there any other seats that are compatible with lap belts ... or maybe a clever device somebody has thought of somehow to convert a lap belt into a proper seat belt. It really freaked me out as if I had realised this yesterday I probably wouldn't have bought it. Any advice appreciated ....

this could be me writing this, just bought a zafira, first 7seater...bloomin lap belt, am currently shuffling seats round most days to suit who i have on the day:eek: NIGHTMARE
am now gonna look up the car seat mentioned xxx

SammyM
18-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Was interested to read this on the RoSPA website...

Q: I cannot fit three child restraints across the back of my vehicle?

A: It is best to keep children in the rear, where they are safest in a crash. However this is sometimes not possible when the three seats do not fit across the rear due to space. If you are having difficulty fitting three child restraints across the back because the central middle seat is a lap belt, then it is worth looking at the advice below on 'Can I use my booster seat with a lap belt?'

The law will allow one child, who is over 3 years old, to use the adult belt in the rear if two occupied child restraints prevent the fitment of the third. The largest child may gain the most benefit from an adult seat belt.

However, it may be safer to put a child in the correct restraint in the front seat of the car rather than using a seat belt in the rear - especially if there is only a lap belt available.

SammyM
18-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Oooh another thought, does it have IsoFix points???

TheBTeam
18-06-2011, 01:33 PM
There is a company that can fit a full 3 point seatbelt, something i considered for my old galaxy, they are based london way although cant think of the details.

They charged something like £150-£200 and did a good job for a friend of mine.

tulip0803
18-06-2011, 02:47 PM
I have the Britax Prince seat on my lap belt and it holds solid - does take 2 of us to fit it to ensure this, I put my knee in & DH pulls lap belt taught. It is also quite narrow fitting and I can still get to the seat belt clip on both sides:) . Children seem very comfortable in it and it is taller than my other Britax so will last a little longer as they grow:thumbsup: . It is also lightweight if you do move carseats around but I jut leave mine in unless I am going on holiday!