PDA

View Full Version : Pls help me find a solution for walking safely with toddler

chelseabun
10-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Need to find a safer way of walking out and about. Toddler reigns are fine, but my son will absolutely not let me put them on him, same with buggy board.

Does anyone know of fun, extra long reigns. Have tried the backpack ones, no good. Strap too short.

I know I need to get tougher perhaps, he has outgrown the buggy, and likes to walk, just need to keep him near me when I am pushing others in the buggy.

Reigns seem the obvious answer, just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions, or any particular reigns you can suggest?

Thanks alot.

grindal
10-06-2011, 10:39 AM
I use reins on my mindees when we are walking - if they dont like them they go back in the pushchair. How old is DS? Is it possible to get him to hold onto the pushchair? I have a nearly 2 year old mindee and mum and I have both drilled holding onto the pushchair into her. Having said that I still use the reins on her when we are walking on roads - but she is very good and holds on herself.
I would get tough with DS - if he wants to walk he wears the reins. Depends how much he likes walking too. I looked after one little boy he played up with reins and was ove the moon when I used to let him back in the pushchair :panic:

loocyloo
10-06-2011, 10:48 AM
i use reins, they are a 'non negotiable' in my house, along with hi viz jackets!

i also have a couple of straps on my buggy handles ( i use dog leads!;) ) that are attached to my buggy, but gives a walker a handle to hold, which means they can wiggle around a bit, but are still holding on. some children find it hard to walk close to the buggy, or holding a hand. i still put reins on, but these are so 'i don't get lost' ;) and i just hold them loosely in my hand/round my wrist.

good luck x

dolly daycare
10-06-2011, 10:51 AM
We use monkey reigns, they come in different animals.

I think I got them of the small dudes website. Think they are made by gold bug

My own little one, has always wanted to put his monkey on and now at the age of 4 still asks to wear it! My little mindees, now ask to wear the monkey, when we go out. :)

A big hit here, would definitely recommend.

sarah707
10-06-2011, 11:08 AM
I use reins until children are able to walk sensibly and hold onto the buggy.

They are not negotiable. I will negotiate on lots of things but not a child's safety :D

blue bear
10-06-2011, 11:14 AM
If you put a longer lead on him will he still be safe? You could always put reins on him and attach retractable dog lead but can't see how you can keep him safe if he has a long lead really.

The monkey ones sound fun and might work for your lo, really you need to decide what the rules are when walking and stick to it every time even when not working so he knows what's what. Easier said than done I know but after a couple of weeks of no nonsense, it's either this or this and usually children fall in.

auntym
10-06-2011, 11:25 AM
You could try wrist reigns and if still creating a fuss then its a strict reigns or buggy I'm afraid

wendywu
10-06-2011, 11:41 AM
[
[QUOTE]They are not negotiable. I will negotiate on lots of things but not a child's safety :D[/QUOTE

I agree, there is no such thing as 'will not' with a toddler. Im the grown up and i make the rules in my house. :D

Pipsqueak
10-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Reins (never a wrist strap) they are non - negotiable. I am the adult and my will is greater!
If a child 'won't' (start pratting around) wear them then back in teh buggy they go.

I used to care for a child who behaved like rope touching gollum..... he was melting, screaming, writhing on the floor. He soon got the message... he was either tucked under my arm paddying with the reins still on or put into the buggy with reins still on......

Its my way .. end of

wendywu
10-06-2011, 12:08 PM
[
He soon got the message... he was either tucked under my arm paddying

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
]
Best place for him :thumbsup:

sonia ann
10-06-2011, 01:29 PM
my lo's wear reins whether they like it or not....................I am the grown upand they are my rules full stop.

Probey9
10-06-2011, 01:42 PM
I use reins until children are able to walk sensibly and hold onto the buggy.

They are not negotiable. I will negotiate on lots of things but not a child's safety :D

Ditto to the above and for children who can walk sensibly but decide they are not going to listen on an occasion the reigns go on, it doesn't take them long to catch on but you need to be strong and consistent, good luck.

onceinabluemoon
10-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Agree with the others, you are the adult, just step up and tell him that you absolutely will not go out unless he has his reins on and stick to it. You just have to be consistent and you will win. x

Ali56
10-06-2011, 05:31 PM
I agree too, def the reins or in the pram. Even when LO's walk nicely they always know I have the reins with me. Any messing about and on they go. I never take chances with road safety, Its one of those things that are not negotiable. With many things children can learn by their mistakes, being hit by a car is another thing entirely. My rules all the way. As stated before-Iam the grown up and I make the rules :D

ChocolateChip
10-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Same here, reins whether they like it or not. But if they were good walkers fairly reliable I would unclip one side so the rein was longer but I still had a hold on them.

teacake2
10-06-2011, 06:04 PM
I use reins, but sometimes to give them a little bit of 'freedom' in very quiet areas I will unclip one side of the reins which instantly gives you a longer rein and so they can walk a little bit further away from you, but the minute they take advantage or we are not in too safe an area I shorten them again.
Teacake2

PixiePetal
10-06-2011, 07:46 PM
I use reins, but sometimes to give them a little bit of 'freedom' in very quiet areas I will unclip one side of the reins which instantly gives you a longer rein and so they can walk a little bit further away from you, but the minute they take advantage or we are not in too safe an area I shorten them again.
Teacake2

same here :thumbsup:

funemnx
10-06-2011, 07:49 PM
My little ones have only one side of the reins attatched and the other is attatched to the pushchair. They do get used to it - honest :thumbsup:

zippy
10-06-2011, 11:11 PM
I used to tie a wrist strap to my sons reins to give him slightly more length and then used to collect it up anywhere near roads etc

Julia
11-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Sorry I'm going to echo what others have said, if he doesn't want reins then it's the buggy! His safety is the most important thing, getting tough now and upsetting him is better than what could happen to him if he doesn't listen and gets hurt.

Sorry it's a painful truth but there it is :)

Louise0208
11-06-2011, 10:17 AM
im with everyone else........show him whos boss :thumbsup:

chelseabun
12-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks everyone, reigns it is! Going to order them and be tough!!

Kate M
12-06-2011, 06:30 PM
I use the back packs. I find they are brilliant because you can hook them over the pram handles and push the pram.
Mine are called Little Life x