PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody in a local network?

vix84
30-04-2008, 05:45 PM
I just wondered if any of you are in a local Childminding network and how you find it, and what you do etc?
Sometimes I find I loose a bit of my inspiration, and have days where the planning/planned day goes out the window and we just jump in the car and go to an activity centre etc. I think I lack some of the motivation by working on my own, and I always seem to look after under 2's, which I do love that age range, and normally opt for that age. But, sometimes I crave the pre-school age to do a few more activities like looking at numbers/colours etc.
Does this make sense?

Anyway, Ive gone off track lol! What I mean is, does joining a network give you a bit more of a purpose to keep up with planning, etc.

sarah707
30-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Aot really, no! And it's no bad thing to jump in the car and go off somewhere for the day - superwoman we do not have to be!

You cannot plan 24/7... you cannot spend every night planning so every day will have something you think is 'worthwhile' ... some days are for free play and chilling, so don't beat yourself up! :D

vix84
30-04-2008, 06:26 PM
I know we all have days, but I am undecided between wanting to do a bit more so I feel a bit more 'professional' or not so that we can have a more relaxfull day.
I used to get annoyed with the extra paperwork in a Nursery, so am thinking a network may mean extra work, and in the end Ill regret joining! But on the otherhand I may enjoy the extra challenge!
Im expecting my first baby in June so will wait and see, return to C.minding in Sept. and just see how busy I am etc. before I commit

avril
30-04-2008, 06:47 PM
I'm not a member of our local network, through my own choice as soooo tired at the end of a day and have enough paperwork, training etc..to do.
Other childminders I know are members they meet up once a mnth term time only have guest speakers, useful information,plan and work out policies, have resources that can be shared and generally meet up for a natter.

But I'm sure if you have a good root around on here you could plan activities from animals, healthy eating, various celebrations from all cultures. Even if the children are young they can still do colouring in, gluing sticking different fabrics for textures, tasting/feeling foods, day out to a farm and of course free play is a great way for the children to express themselves.

Sorry for waffling.:blush:

Avril x:)

vix84
30-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks for your reply, and waffle away lol! Good to get an idea about what network c.minders do etc.

We do all the sticking, painting, and monthly topics etc. but I feel like I have been with this age range for a long time.
When I left college I worked in a 1 to 2 year old room for 2 and a half years, then I Nannied for a 3 month old untill he was 2, and I nannied for a 2 year old untill she was almost 3, and then I childminded for two children who both started at 16 months, and now Im off on mat. leave and they are leaving at age 2. And most enquiries Ive had when I return are fro 16 month olds again!
So I always seem to get them to 2 years and start all over again, and I was just getting excited over all there new skills and the the new things we could try etc.

Not that I d ever turn a under 2 away as there are lots of great things we can do together, I just envy my friend who cares for a little one who is just over 3.

Gherkin
30-04-2008, 08:07 PM
I want to get on my local network but to do so have to do my Quality assurance. It is scattered about the house on printed bits of paper waiting for me to put it all together!!!!

John
30-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Local net work for early years lol, i went to the first ever one that was tonight and yet again the childminders got pushed to one side. All of the infomation was for bigger settings, nurserys, pre-schools, after school clubs etc.

They handed out hand outs call child care resorces lol not one word for the childminder but did mention all the brakfast clubs and after school clubs i thought here we go should of stayed at home, at the net work the early years worker said we could take some ITC toys to are setting a robot and PC crafts pack woo that would be good, no not for the childminders just for the bigger settings.

This got me mad:angry: saying i thought as much yet again childminders get pushed to the back. They tryed to come back saying well we are thinking about childminders but in in some ways, puting on toy libarerys and activities lol.

I don;t think i'll be going to another net work again and the other childminders said so too.

John.

buildingblocks
30-04-2008, 10:12 PM
I just wondered if any of you are in a local Childminding network and how you find it, and what you do etc?

This may well depend on the network itself and the coordinator who is in charge of it

Sometimes I find I loose a bit of my inspiration, and have days where the planning/planned day goes out the window and we just jump in the car and go to an activity centre etc. I think I lack some of the motivation by working on my own, and I always seem to look after under 2's, which I do love that age range, and normally opt for that age. But, sometimes I crave the pre-school age to do a few more activities like looking at numbers/colours etc.
Does this make sense?

Anyway, Ive gone off track lol! What I mean is, does joining a network give you a bit more of a purpose to keep up with planning, etc.

I joined my local network and was the first person to be accepted onto it and when I started it was really enthused (I was in from when it first started but infortunately due to personal reasons to do with the NC and the fact that I struggle with paperwork and eventually the thought of more paperwork got to me.

I enjoyed being on the network but the person runnning it was the problem for me. I was talking to someone the other day and said if I could join a network with a different NC then I would join again.

littlepixies
01-05-2008, 06:34 AM
:) Im with my local network ,, known as a network childminder now hehehhe.... as for planning i have always been on my own doing themes and ideas to be honest ever since i started. I even wrote in to profession childcare mag about them having a topic or theme area in the mag back in 2006 and it was published (not that i ever recieved a free gift grrrrr)

I have folders apon folders of printed themes which are in sections but i must really sort out now im not minding anyone at the mo. gives me a break as well as a chance to get more organised!!!

But im sure if you can think of a theme title we can throw in ideas and what it covers within eyfs!

Tatia
01-05-2008, 07:16 AM
I'm a network minder and I really like it. Our network is brilliant. But then, we have a really strong Early Years team and leadership (not from NCs but from Surestart itself which governs the network) in our area and I think it stems from that.

My network definitely give me motivation for planning because I am in the process of being accredited (to deliver nursery education) and you have to be on the network to do it. I'm working very intensely on my medium-term planning at the moment.

I am naive as I just assumed all areas had strong EY teams, training and networks. I feel lucky.

katickles
01-05-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm on a network & can't imagine not being now. I get such fab support & extra training. We have a monthly meeting & arrange visits & outings to places that wil be of help/interest to us. I also attent my local childminders group that has support from the network.

There was a fair bit of paperwork involved in the application, but it has such good beifits. It also pays my annual membership fees to the resource centres, i get free admission into toddler drop in sessions & my NC was so much help in the run up to my inspection.

:)

John
01-05-2008, 09:52 AM
The network i went on last night would of been better if it was just for childminders. Being for all early years child care was just one sided and i was talking to a few who was their from bigger setings and said it would of been better this way as the childminders got pushed to one side. But being the first one ever last night it might get better.

John.

katickles
01-05-2008, 09:55 AM
The network i went on last night would of been better if it was just for childminders. Being for all early years child care was just one sided and i was talking to a few who was their from bigger setings and said it would of been better this way as the childminders got pushed to one side. But being the first one ever last night it might get better.

John.

Hi John
Yeah the network i'm part of is just for childminders. Its organised through sure start.

vix84
02-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Hi, sorry Ive been away for a while, had a good week, quite bust and spent too much again on resources!
I ordered some new meal planners/activity planners/a book for keeping daily notes in/made a planning and activity folder/and started to fill in the mindee's all about me folders. So I feel like Im back on track - its fine aslong as I keep on top of it!

So what does joining a childminding network involve? Am I right in thinking someone assess's you etc? And that leads to being quality assured, and then you can provide places for pre-schoolers and claim back fee's from government or something?

Im quite lucky that our local Early Years team is really good and I always get the training books through and magazine. So guessing joinging a network would mean a co-ordinator would check policies etc?

Wendy Woo
02-05-2008, 10:01 PM
not a memebr of net work but do go to a drop in with some childminding friends. I met through a childminder i was linked with wen i first started to be my buddie and help me if i needed it.

Its good as u get to meet up let the kids all play 2gether and u can discuss hot topics with other minders

(appologies for typin v late!!!!)

Try and get in touch with some local minders if any
x

sarah707
02-05-2008, 10:55 PM
So what does joining a childminding network involve? Am I right in thinking someone assess's you etc? And that leads to being quality assured, and then you can provide places for pre-schoolers and claim back fee's from government or something?
guessing joinging a network would mean a co-ordinator would check policies etc?

With my network, I had to do the ncma quality first accreditation to become a member... and there are courses I've got to attend...

As far as pre-school education, they don't do that in Cheshire... but it is a long accreditation process and no guarantees you will get children at the end of it tbh.

My coordinator comes and gives me any help and advice I need and was very supportive when I needed her last year. :D

manjay
03-05-2008, 08:42 AM
I have my paperwork here to cmplete to become part of our local network. I am stalling a bit as they have apparently lost their funding so don't want to do extra work until I know it will not be in vain. My friend belongs and is also accredited for early years education. I was looking to join for the extra training and resources that would be made available to me but I will wait and see what happens first.

amanda xx

vix84
03-05-2008, 08:49 AM
I may look into it, Im expecting my first baby in June, and will be returning to Childminding in September if there is enough demand, so may see if I can get some of the paperwork and meet people while Im on Maternity Leave, thats if they let me.

Thanks for all the info!

netty
03-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Yes i am part of our local one it is well supported by our early years team. Ifind it very useful and we are treated as equals to nurserys, after school clubs and breakfast clubs.
Netty xxx:)

teacake2
04-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Hi, I have been a member of our local network for some years now. We have meetings every six weeks, we have guest speakers, ususally someone from the early years team and we do some training topic, last one was the Letters and Sounds that is mentioned in another section. The co-ordinator visits every six weeks as well to check everything is in place for us. She also inspects me under the government funding part, I currently have two children that I have funding for. The planning, etc that we have to do is very similar to what everyone will have to do for the EYFS.
We meet up every Tuesday at one of the local Surestart buildings for a get together with the children, I have no transport and so Surestart send a minibus to collect and take me back. We have been away for weekends to London and Dublin and have meals together. So our Network seems to be working quite well, it is a pity all of them are not available. Although we did have problems getting started and it did take about eight years to get going.

My own personal opinion but if you can join I would.
Teacake2:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

vix84
04-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Wow teacake, yours sound great!!

I think I will look at joining our local one, sometimes I just need to chat to others for some inspiration of activities etc. and the Childminders at my local toddler group all seem to just stick together, so may be good to meet others too