PDA

View Full Version : Double Maclaren Twin Techno Buggy?

jadavi
09-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Hi, I have a chance to buy this on ebay as its local pickup. I can buy it outright at 80 or start bidding from 45. It comes woth rainhood etc and seems in OK condition.

Do you think it's a good deal? Should I snap it up|? I have been on the look out for one for when I begin in Sept but stil have a few months to keep looking. Not fussy but want a cheapish bargain if possible.

Would appreciate feedback if people know what the Techno is like.
Cheers
Jac

blue bear
09-06-2011, 05:14 PM
I have twin triumph went for that as it was lighter and not such high handles. It's worn well, fold up small seen them go on eBay for less than £50.

rickysmiths
09-06-2011, 05:17 PM
I have had one for 11 years now and love it.
It is quite heavy, but it has stood the test of time. It fits easily in my boot and when you fold it and stand it up you can put the break on so it doesn't roll the way some makes do.

I use it all the time so its not as if its sat in a shed for years, its done 2 school runs today!! In this this time I replaced the rain cover once, they are not that generous around the bottom and a larger child can kick it and tear it. I still have and use the original foot muffs, they wash up a treat in the washing machine.

cs01
09-06-2011, 05:18 PM
My 1st double buggy purchase was a maclaren twin triumph, not sure how similar that is to a techno. It was not the easiest of doubles to push. It was very heavy with 2 toddlers in and impossible to steer with one hand if you needed one spare occasionally such as to hold another little one's hand across the road.

I think the wheel size plays a part in how easy the buggies are too push. The bigger the wheel the easier to push.

The footrest broke on my maclaren and I ended up replacing it with a double 360 nipper. Best thing that could have happended. I did not realise how difficult the maclaren was too push until I took the children out in the nipper.

onceinabluemoon
09-06-2011, 06:07 PM
The newer twin technos are absolutely awful to push!! You constantly kick the middle back wheel, they are harder to tip up curbs than other mac twins and very very heavy!! They are also huge when folded! I dumped mine!!

They made them better for baby but now they're awful for the adult.

Maclaren twin triumph is easier to push, smaller to fold, lighter to carry but does have issues with the seats as they are not fixed into place and if the child leans right forwards they are the devil to get up curbs etc (but great if the child is sitting back properly) and the seats are quite shortl compared with the techno but I think that may be because the techno has calf support and the triumph doesn't. Also the straps are short in the winter over thick coats

Maclaren Twin traveller is also harder to push than the triumph apparently

Personally if I had to pick a twin maclaren I'd go for the twin triumph. x

(but agree with previous post that nipper 360 is the easiest to push by far!)

appleblossom
09-06-2011, 06:17 PM
I had one and hated it! I had to take a run at kerbs, get the front wheels off the ground before arriving at the kerb. I got a new pushchair before the Twin Techno did my back in. I'd avoid at all costs.

kel1983
09-06-2011, 06:25 PM
I got a twin techno

Its awful to push with a 2 year old and 3 year old in it. I found that I kept kicking the wheels and the seat are very narrow. Very hard to get up the curbs

I havent tried it with smaller babies in it. Thinking of selling mine. I saw one sell for £80 ealier.

jadavi
09-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Thanks everyone... I did put a bid on before readiing the answers... but I can't afford to be too fussy as I have very little money for supplies. Thanks for the advice - not sure if I want to win it or not now!!!

cheers
jac x

sarah707
09-06-2011, 09:09 PM
I have a Maclaren and it's awful... hard to push, hard to get up kerbs, heavy etc.

However that's only when compared with my mothercare twin with big wheels, light as a feather and a lovely tight turning circle.

I keep it as a spare in case a tyre pops on my Mothercare one.

I think if I just had the Maclaren and didn't know what I was missing I'd probably be ok... until I did my back in of course :o

:D

Minstrel
09-06-2011, 09:13 PM
I got a twin techno

Its awful to push with a 2 year old and 3 year old in it. I found that I kept kicking the wheels and the seat are very narrow. Very hard to get up the curbs

I havent tried it with smaller babies in it. Thinking of selling mine. I saw one sell for £80 ealier.

Do you really push a two and three yr ols around? Must kill your back!!

I have to say as soon as mine hit 2 yrs i get them walking as much as poss.

rickysmiths
09-06-2011, 09:26 PM
I got a twin techno

I agree with Minstrel.

Golly it would be hard with an average 2.5-3yr old. Mine aren't ever in buggies by the time they are two, I get them walking :blush:

My current 15mth old is competently walking the school run now about a 20min round trip, and the other one won't be long before he is walking it as well.

samb
09-06-2011, 11:40 PM
I bought one for £20 in a 2nd hand sale with all the bits. My other double broke on school run so I had to find a replacement quick and cheap! It seems comfie for the kids, basket not too bad, raincover too small, it is REALLY heavy and hurts my back. I like the higher handles as it is a comfortable height. I used to push an old Mamas and Papas double with a buggy board attached and it was much lighter than this! Wish I had bought a different one!

kel1983
10-06-2011, 06:40 AM
I agree with Minstrel.

Golly it would be hard with an average 2.5-3yr old. Mine aren't ever in buggies by the time they are two, I get them walking :blush:

My current 15mth old is competently walking the school run now about a 20min round trip, and the other one won't be long before he is walking it as well.

I must just point out that the 3 year old (Only just 3) was a nightmare and would run off, always falling over and really tired by 3pm and plus I had an hour round trip to do school pick up. I dont drive so the double pushchair was the only other option. It would hve taken longer if they had both walked. Lukily I have only ever had to do it twice with the double pushchair.

The Juggler
10-06-2011, 07:05 AM
i had a maclaren twin and a friend has one they are light and I loved it but recently borrowed a maclaren twin techno and the difference in the weight was amazing. it is def. heavier but think of it positively - will save a few trips to the gym to build those biceps up :laughing:

everyone thinks I do weights in the gym but it's just the buggy pushing - I've always had a small wheeled buggy rather than the all terrain, bouncy wheel types and they are harder to push and give you a real good workout :laughing: ;)

Mouse
10-06-2011, 09:05 AM
I have the Techno XT as a single buggy & even that's heavy to push. I dread to think how heavy it would be if it was a double.

I have the Triumph double & that's OK to push, but the seats aren't as good for the children. I only usually have 2 one year olds in it, so it's bad for weight.

jadavi
10-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks, have a feeling I'm gonna win the ebay bid so I'll take juggler's advice and appreciate the work out!

jac