PDA

View Full Version : ahhhh mindee bitten on face

foxy lady
09-06-2011, 01:54 PM
oh no my 15 month mindee has been bitten on the face by my friends little girl who is also 15 months. it has left a really nasty bite mark, im dreading mum coming and having to tell her, it happened so quick i couldnt have stopped it and the little girl is normally lovely, i have put and icepack on it and put it in the accident book but i feel so bad about it . oh the joys of childmindidng

miffy
09-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Try not to worry, hopefully mum will understand.

Perhaps the mark will also have faded a bit by the time she picks up and if lo is playing happily mum will be reassured.

It's a horrible feeling but, as you say, there was nothing you could do (I know that doesn't make you feel any better though).

Hugs

Miffy xx

georgie456
09-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Oh dear - I know EXACTLY how you feel - I have been on the other side - one of my mindees bit a CM friend's new mindee on the face and left an appalling injury. I have never felt so awful. Thankfully the mum was fairly understanding (as much as she could be!), and I worked very hard with my mindee's parents (who I have to say were utterly mortified) to put a stop to the biting. 2 years on it is a distant, but horrible memory.

All you can do is, as you have said, fill in an accident form and assure mum that you will do everything to make sure this doesn't happen again.

As far as the biting goes, I would now have this child (who bit) attached to me at all times. My mindee even came to the toilet with me for weeks before I felt comfortable enough to leave him for a second. You just need to eliminate ANY opportunity for her to bite again. This is a completely normal phase for many children and I promise it won't last!

Sending hugs x

loocyloo
09-06-2011, 06:36 PM
my own DS at 2, bit a mindee 22mths on the cheek as i was answering the door to mum :eek: i was horrified and soooo apologetic. we put a cold pack on it and wrote in in the accident book, but mum laughed and said ''well she does have very podgy cheeks, i can see why he thought to bite one'' :eek:

DS had only bitten once before that ( and that was during my first inspection :rolleyes: ) and never since!

onceinabluemoon
09-06-2011, 08:27 PM
How did it go?

foxy lady
09-06-2011, 09:06 PM
How did it go?

not too bad mum was really good about it i could see she was a bit shocked as it was a really bad bite. i said i had been worried about telling her and i was sorry it had happened and she said oh dont be silly its not like you did it. :)

green4lynn
09-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Glad mum was understanding, I had this happen last year, and the parents went balistic! Grandma was called in to look after the little girl so she didn't have to come to me, dad threatened to send her to another childminder and mum called the other childs mum to have a rant at her and tell her what an awful parent she was! They told me they had spoken to the local FISH office who advised them it was a police matter! I rang FISH who said no-one had rung them, they said they would never advise getting the police involved in a child biting issue! Their doctor told them to get tetanus shots, which they did!

The whole thing caused me so much stress I even contemplated quitting childminding! Thankfully I didn't as they moved away shortly after that, and I now look after a bunch of wonderful kids.

It is something that a lot of children do, and we just have to do our best to deal with it calmly.

Lynn x

JCrakers
10-06-2011, 09:04 AM
:( I feel for you...glad it went well.
My 7yr old Mindee broke his arm last Thurs by falling 2-3 foot off some playground equipment. He was playing with another boy we met there and the boy pulled his leg and he fell awkwardly.
Mum was fantastic, she knew I felt bad but we both knew that it couldnt have been prevented. He was playing and it was safe etc.
We agreed that all children need to play and theres always a risk even though all risk assesment are in place.
I know some parents are not very understanding and I am so pleased she was fine about it.

Some children do bite, its a fact and there isnt a lot you can do to stop that first one. But I would now follow the child making sure it doesnt happen again. Esp to the same child :panic:

My son was 3 when he bit a friend at preschool. The preschool lady said he was shaking with excitment when he did it so it was affection but didnt make me feel any better.
Glad she was ok about it :D
Becky x

samb
10-06-2011, 01:25 PM
My son bit a mindee on the neck! I text her in the day to warn her so it wasn't too much of a shock and she would have a chance to calm down before collecting! But when she came, I burst into tears I was so upset - she ended up comforting me! Agh!