PDA

View Full Version : father's day gift

ChocolateChip
09-06-2011, 12:29 PM
What's everyone doing for father's day?
Just having a panic as haven't decided yet and I need to be getting on with it :panic:

Last year we did star cookies and decorated and wrapped them, year before decorated socks with fabric crayons so just trying to think of something different. Any ideas appreciated ! :thumbsup:

nicola1981
09-06-2011, 12:35 PM
i will be watching this thread with interest as only just started minding so this will be our first

flowerpots
09-06-2011, 12:36 PM
im bumping because i cant think of anything really interesting to do either :blush:

miss mopple
09-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Im giving it a miss this year as I just can't face doing it with them as this will be the 1st one since my own Dad died and I'm mostly trying to give it a good ignoring :( Hopefully the mums will sort something for the dads this time

singingcactus
09-06-2011, 01:52 PM
I've got very little guys this year so we are going very simple. I'm going to have the kids all mix up a decorated bag of trail mix for their dads. Then the dads can take the kids out for a walk, or watch a show and nibble on the trail mix together.

miffy
09-06-2011, 02:45 PM
I've bought some wooden pen pots from crafty crocodiles which the older ones will be painting and decorating.

The little ones will colour in DAD letters and in the cut outs of each letter I'll put a little photograph of them, stick it all onto an A4 sheet and laminate it - hey presto, personal placemat for dad! :)

Miffy xx

Kes
09-06-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm doing similar to what I did for mothers day and getting the kids to decorate a mug shaped card. Inside I am putting a chilli tea bag that I got form tea pigs. The mums got chocolate tea inside a tea cup card.

nannysue
09-06-2011, 03:39 PM
I ordered keyrings and coasters from CraftyCrocodiles ( very impressed with next day delivery:thumbsup: )

Keyrings...... put a pic of child one side and they drew a picture on the other , card insert provided , Coasters..... they went with their own ideas, drawing , stickers (flat ones) some wrote DAD, then i varnished them . They have come out really well.

I'm sure Dads will be happy !:)

mrs_scottydog
09-06-2011, 03:42 PM
I was going for the DIY clocks from Crafty Crocodiles but they're out of stock until 20th June! So instead like nannysue we're doing keyrings and coasters. Hx

JumpingJacks
09-06-2011, 03:55 PM
We had a local pottery business visit one of our toddler groups so we have decorated photo frames with them, being delivered on Wednesday(put a pic in and they are complete). Will do the usual cards and some biscuits/cakes maybe

Jac x

lou lou
09-06-2011, 04:06 PM
i am going to make some cup cakes and get the children to cut some green circles out of fondant icing and put those on the cup cakes and bought some choc footballs from tesco to stick on top to look like a football pitch

emmadines
09-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Hello, well, the kiddies are not being easily persuaded to do anything - all they want to do is play, not make anything..... I have gone out and brought a packet of "shrinkies" paper - have put some pics on them and the kiddies just need to colour them and cut them out for me to cook........

will be turning them onto key rings and magnets

other then that - will prob make a F/D card as the norm!!

xx

lma
09-06-2011, 06:02 PM
We have for the first time done 'hug a mug'. I got the little ones to paint their own hands and they all managed to do this really well, then I got them to hold onto the mug with 2 hands to make a handprint on each side. They turned out really well:D :laughing:

Am also think about stealing the biscuit idea and getting them to decorate some shaped biscuits and putting them in a nice bag with ribbon on.

I like the sound of the dad placemat idea.

BuggsieMoo
09-06-2011, 06:29 PM
We've done key holders shaped like houses that the kids have decorated. The younger ones have done a special 'My Daddy' poem with some hand and foot prints on it as a keepsake. We have done some cards and will make some cookies (Gingerbread Dad's) later on in week.

Lisa x

newbie1512
09-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Can somebody explain to my husband that its not my fault:laughing:

After reading these threads I looked at Crafty Crocodiles and just spent a small fortune :laughing: Its really good and quite cheap, my postman is going to be sick of me haha.

Anyway we will be doing the t-shirt keyrings and the coasters, and my arts and crafts boxes will be very well stocked :jump for joy:

karensmart4
09-06-2011, 06:33 PM
We have for the first time done 'hug a mug'. I got the little ones to paint their own hands and they all managed to do this really well, then I got them to hold onto the mug with 2 hands to make a handprint on each side. They turned out really well:D :laughing:

Am also think about stealing the biscuit idea and getting them to decorate some shaped biscuits and putting them in a nice bag with ribbon on.

I love the hug a mug idea :D

BuggsieMoo
09-06-2011, 06:34 PM
We've done key holders shaped like houses that the kids have decorated. The younger ones have done a special 'My Daddy' poem with some hand and foot prints on it as a keepsake. We have done some cards and will make some cookies (Gingerbread Dad's) later on in week.

Lisa x

If anyone wants to use the poem its

Walk A Little Slower Daddy
said a little girl/boy so small
I'm following in your footsteps
and I don't want to fall.
Sometimes your steps are very fast,
Sometimes they're hard to see;
So walk a little slower, Daddy,
For you are leading me.
Someday when I'm all grown up,
You're what I want to be;
Then I will have a little child
Who'll want to follow me.
And I would want to lead just right,
And know that I was true;
So, walk a little slower, Daddy,
For I must follow you.

Chell
09-06-2011, 09:03 PM
We're doing either shortbread biscuits or gingerbread with Father's day rice paper toppers.

http://michellecorbychildminder.blogspot.com/2011/05/fathers-day-gifts.html

keeks
09-06-2011, 09:16 PM

Can I ask what paint you used for the mugs? I want to paint mugs for the dads, but I am wondering how to make them washing up-proof?

xx

Happy Bunny
09-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Can somebody explain to my husband that its not my fault:laughing:

After reading these threads I looked at Crafty Crocodiles and just spent a small fortune :laughing: Its really good and quite cheap, my postman is going to be sick of me haha.

Anyway we will be doing the t-shirt keyrings and the coasters, and my arts and crafts boxes will be very well stocked :jump for joy:

HA HA HA HA i have done exactly the same.

Probey9
09-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Loving this thread, getting some really good ideas here.

My plan is decorated biscuits in fancy wrapping and have bought some drinks mats from crafty crocodiles to decorate and of course a fathers day card.

Looking forward to hearing more ideas.

Thanks

glitzygal
09-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Went to hobby craft for inspiration.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

older children are doing mosaic coasters,
http://direct.hobbycraft.co.uk/search/mosaic%20coasters

little ones are painting these boxes.. dosent matter if they dont get allpainted.
http://direct.hobbycraft.co.uk/products-HobbyCraft-Mini-Papier-Mache-Round-Box_331086.htm

a card each and a home made rosette with NO1 on it.... as some of my mindees dont see their dads so i choose that so they can give to anyone.......

i will be looking for extra ideas on this thread...:thumbsup:

ChocolateChip
10-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Wow, loads of fab ideas from everyone, thankyou!!!!

Think I might do the 'hug a mug' as they will all be able to do that, hopefully, even the 12mth old with some help and it will be soooo cute!

But love lots of the other ideas so will note them for the future ;)

Helen Dempster
10-06-2011, 10:38 PM
I only have one full-time mindee at the moment who's 23m. We just kept things simple. Printed a nice photo of him, mounted it onto a painting that he had done previously, leaving an edge for him to make fingerprints around. His dad's into golf so inside I stuck a couple of clip art pics and wrote "For someone who has being a great daddy down to a 'tee'" Get it? :laughing:

Trying to get the after schoolies to do something is a completely different matter however. They are 5 and 9 (siblings) and have absolutely no interest because "we will buy a card".