PDA

View Full Version : 1st settling in session!!

carebear25
09-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Just had 1st settling in session with my new baby mindee, wow it feels great to be working again.

Bit of a language barrier but worked round it (polish).

Cant wait 2 have her next week!!

Any tips for gluten an lactose problems xx

rebecca4573
09-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Hi Carebear,

How did you get round the language barrier? I'm stuck on the pre-reg questionnaire questions surrounding how I'd support a child for whom English isn't first language and would appreciate the input!

Rebecca

keeks
09-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Hi Carebear, congratulations to your new mindee! It's not always easy with a language barrier, but I find it usually works out if you talk clearly and slowly and use a lot of body language - including smiling a lot :D . With the babies it is usually pretty easy, they pick up new languages like little sponges!

I would use google to find info about gluten and lactose intolerance. My 13 year old had milk protein allergy as a baby and I read all I could find about it and learned to use substitutes. Now I've realised I'm gluten intolerant and so I use the supermarkets free from range. I also bake and cook from scratch a lot using gluten free flour.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

xx

miffy
09-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Glad the settling-in session went well for you.

Miffy xx

miffy
09-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi Carebear,

How did you get round the language barrier? I'm stuck on the pre-reg questionnaire questions surrounding how I'd support a child for whom English isn't first language and would appreciate the input!

Rebecca

You can get books in dual languages.

If you google you will find lots of free resources like flash cards you can download and display

You could ask the child's parents to do some translations for you or teach you a few phrases etc

Hope that gives you a few ideas

Miffy xx

carebear25
09-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Baby is only 7mths. Mum is happy for me 2 speak english as husband an her older ds speak english quite well. Language barrier more with mum but we managed 2 talk 4 an hr an like u have said slow an lots of hand movements.

I did however, ask her when she is comforting baby does she use certain polish words with her and if I learnt them wud that help comfort her but she is happy enough for me 2 carry on in english.

I did have a look at free from range in tesco an will try an use that. She is only just weaning so its all trail an error for a while i suppose.

carebear25
09-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Hi Carebear,

Rebecca

Hi I just talked slowly with her an used hand movements same with her really and she did bring her phrase book but only needed 2 look at it once x

catswhiskers
09-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Just to let you know if you have any cats.

I looked after a little Polish boy for a while and remember "cotak" meant cats!

Probey9
09-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Hi, I look after a little boy whose second language is English. Mum and dad speak Turkish at home and I speak English in my setting. His English is a little delayed but this is only natural, his understanding is far better than his speech. Not worrying at all it will come in time, I previously looked after an Indian boy who spoke English with me and could switch between English and Indian very easily by the age of 4.

carebear25
15-06-2011, 10:58 AM
update,

had 2 settling in sessions this week (despite my own dd having chicken pox), an they have been fab cant believe I was so worried about goin back to cm an even thou there is a small language barrier with mum we have worked round things (i give little notes each day)

2day when she picked mindee up i got hugs off mum due to mindee bein asleep in pram and i gave her a sheet of small photos from 2day just 2 show I have had smiles an she has played with toys an my dd.

Cant wait now til monday for her 2 start full time an get out an about xx