PDA

View Full Version : Safety Equipment buys

Louise317
09-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Hey all, I'm looking to buy my fire blanket and first aid kit and wondered where you found your best buys ? Also do I need an Fire Extinguisher if so is the powder one the right one to buy ?

Thank you :) x

The Juggler
09-06-2011, 11:03 AM
red cross sell a nice zip up kit with lots of stuff in for about £18. I just bought a cool lunchbox in wilkos with compartments in top (for my gels, plasters, gloves, eyewash) and put my bandages and pads etc in the bottom bit. Superdrug do a nice ready made box too.

In wilkos I paid £5 for the empty box and most of the bandages etc are £1/ish. Wilkos do some great, large plasters (boxes of 5) for knee scrapes and steristrip and someone told me poundland do first aid box fillers now too :thumbsup:

Also, best buy I have is one of those empty small spray bottles (think I got mine in superdrug). I keep filled witih water for cleaning grazes and cuts.

fireblankets you can buy from morton michel or NCMA.

Louise317
09-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Thank you Juggler I'll have a wonder into town for the wilko and cheap shops see what I can pick up.

I'm still undecided on the MM or NCMA (its working out whats best for cover and money-memberships etc as hubby been made redundant so need to get best but at the right price :( Really stressing me out making that decision) but will have a look at safety blankets... saw I could get one for £10 something from Screw fix.

And i'll defiantly use your spray bottle tip :)

blue bear
09-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Got my first ad kit in bookers think it was less than a tenner! It's a kitchen one with blue plasters . Got fire blanket off e bay £5 make sure it's 1.2metre not 1m as we have to have 1.2m square.

katie78
09-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Oh no ive bought a fire blanket thats just a metre squared :eek: I didnt know it had to be of a certain size ! I have got a first aid kit thats suitable for up to 10 people that i got off ebay for about a tenner ! Oh blinkin heck, i dont fancy having to have to buy another fire blanket :angry:
Catherynne

loocyloo
09-06-2011, 12:14 PM
all the firemen i've ever talked to ( coming to do fire safety checks, visits to fire stations etc ) say we shouldn't have to have a fire blanket, as very hard to use properly and if we need to use one, we would be much safer getting OUT and calling the fire brigade!

Louise317
09-06-2011, 12:17 PM
make sure it's 1.2metre not 1m as we have to have 1.2m square.

the one in NCMA is 1m blanket, did you read or someone tell you it had to be 1.2 fi fi ? Thank you :)

blue bear
09-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Its in the health a safety at work rules which apply to us, here we can do the course or not but rules still apply to all work places, to be honest I doubt many people bother but I always worry if sonething goes wrong...