PDA

View Full Version : Playroom ideas please x

Rain or Shine
08-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Hey guys

I am opening this thread to hopefully give new and already well established childminders ideas on how to set out their playrooms and what to put in them.

I have been registered since Nov 2010 and its not gone brilliantly for me, had some awful bully children and then lost my baby. I am now looking at starting up again and feel my room looks very plain. When I became a childminder I quickly bought lots of plastic stuff just soI had toys and now as I go I want to buy more natural items for the children I finally find. I do have a sensory basket so i am trying lol.

I was wondering if some of you lovely people would put pictures of your playrooms in this thread and maybe one of your most enjoyed toys.

I would really appreciate the inspiration and I am sure many others will too xxxx

I have attached some pics of my playroom (child is dd) xxx

Roseolivia
08-06-2011, 09:46 AM
I would attach pics of my playroom but whilst i've been on maternity leave i took everything off the walls to decorate and nothing is back up yet.

loocyloo
08-06-2011, 10:10 AM
sadly i don't have a playroom at all :( as renting a house and currently have some toys in my sitting room, and then once i have some new children to mind, i will get some more toys from where they are being stored!

i had toys in cupboards, and then a couple of low tables that had activities on them, posters on the wall, a 'washing line' of artwork and cars all over the floor! i had super lino that was printed with a road pattern !!! the boys used to create endless traffic jams!

samb
08-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Wow it looks lovely and professional. I haven't got a playroom either. I just have notices for parents on door in hallway, a toy cupboard in living room and others in my children's room that I get out and a piece of string along a wall in the living room to display "work" with pegs!

Ant_h18
08-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Hi i dont know why but i can't look at the pictures

Rain or Shine
08-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Well this is also good for those who don't have playrooms cause it gives others ideas on how it can work if you don't have a playroom.

Not sure why you can't see my pics, i can open them from there, how odd. Sorry.

I am doing this as I need some real inspiration.

Blaze
08-06-2011, 10:45 AM
I'll post pics of mine later in the week , as I'm re-organising.:)

PS Wanted to add that I don't think it is plain - there is a school of thought that the lovely calming colours you have are just the job:thumbsup:

Louise317
08-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Looks great Jo not plain at all.

I'm going to be using my conservatory, new storage coming the weekend.

Then its a big toy sort out, get some posters up and my kids art work.

I'm doing my parents notice board in my porch, with kids pegs and basket for shoes.

But when done i'll add pictures :)

Look forward to seeing other ideas too :)

nicoleon
08-06-2011, 11:15 AM
i like this thread simply because I'm very nosy :p

i don't have a play room but happy to take some pics of our lounge, will try and do that later

Rain or Shine
08-06-2011, 11:16 AM
All your ideas sound amazing, can't wait to see more pics and your ideas turn into the real thing xxx

linda2girls
08-06-2011, 11:19 AM
I think yours looks great, my children would happily play there!!! I love the parent noticeboard. My playroom is in the conservatory, will post pictures later.

Linda.

Adiamond
08-06-2011, 11:22 AM
My playroom is my conservatory too. I will add some piccies later x

miffy
08-06-2011, 11:44 AM
I think it looks lovely - not too busy with things on the walls and plenty of space for the children to move about.

Miffy xx

Bitsy Beans
08-06-2011, 05:03 PM
I don't have a playroom yet as I am in the process of trying to organise getting a conservatory.
BUT I made this collage the other week and was going to put it up in the conservatory when it's eventually built, it's currently in my dining area. Does it look pants and a bit "home made"???? :o
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bitsybeans/5811929039/in/photostream

For some reason I just can't get the image to load so you'll have to look at my album :o

sarah707
08-06-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't have a playroom yet as I am in the process of trying to organise getting a conservatory.
BUT I made this collage the other week and was going to put it up in the conservatory when it's eventually built, it's currently in my dining area. Does it look pants and a bit "home made"???? :o

For some reason I just can't get the image to load so you'll have to look at my album :o

I love the collage! It looks brilliant :D

PixiePetal
08-06-2011, 05:29 PM
my playroom is tiny - it is also my second (downstairs) spare room so need to be able to pack stuff away enough to pull out futon.

will get photos when I find the floor after todays play!

am needing to reorganise the wardrobe corner to trofast units but until I get new mindees signed up, I am unwilling to spend out more for now :o

miffy
08-06-2011, 05:32 PM

That looks great! :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Rain or Shine
08-06-2011, 05:39 PM
I love the look of the trofast, I shall be looking into getting some of that once I have enough mindees to pay for it, i hate that wardrobe, it takes up far to much room.

What areas do you have in your playrooms or other places???

blue bear
08-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Dont know how to attach photos (technophobe) I use the conservatory for playroom ( built just for childminding)

Areas :
Book shelf and cosy corner
Art table
Dressing up open shelves and toy box with hats in
Playkitchen with dolls cots hight chair etc
Wooden train table, we have different boards so set up Playmobil, Lego etc there
Two open shelves with baskets from lidl with variety of toys
Two high shelves with games, tiny Playmobil, hammer and nails etc that lo Could choke on

little miss chatterbox
08-06-2011, 09:42 PM

It looks brilliant!!!! Might have to steal that it's brilliant well done!

Bitsy Beans
09-06-2011, 11:24 AM
I love the look of the trofast, I shall be looking into getting some of that once I have enough mindees to pay for it, i hate that wardrobe, it takes up far to much room.

What areas do you have in your playrooms or other places???

I bought my Trofast unit off Ebay, including the trays for £35, worth keeping an eye open on there for one.

My conservatory is going to be 3m x 3m so not massive and I am just wondering the best way to shoe horn all the stuff in :o

Thanks for the positive comments re my collage :D Nice to see my old copies of Who Minds are good for something :thumbsup:

alwaysright
10-06-2011, 08:34 AM
i too love this thread as i love looking at other setting to see how they work the space and look!! i wouldnt worry about having plastic toys as you say it was when you were starting and you build up your stuff as you go along until you end up with too much and dont know what to do with it :laughing: i will take some photos of my playroom later and upload. looks a good size as well your room

alwaysright
10-06-2011, 08:55 AM
can someone tell me how do i upload a photo onto here please?? :blush:

Louise317
10-06-2011, 10:22 AM

Hey Kitty, when you go to post a thread look underneath message box you will find Additional Options - Attach Files - Manage Attachments - Choose File - Upload. Then post your message :) x

Louise317
10-06-2011, 10:22 AM

Hey Kitty, when you go to post a thread look underneath message box you will find Additional Options - Attach Files - Manage Attachments - Choose File - Upload. Then post your message :) x

alwaysright
10-06-2011, 10:48 AM
thanks for that louise, i am having a problem uploading them, dont know if they are too big?? they are 3.64mb and max size is 195.3kb, so not sure if thats the reason

alwaysright
10-06-2011, 11:10 AM
hope this works :laughing:

Louise317
10-06-2011, 11:12 AM
thanks for that louise, i am having a problem uploading them, dont know if they are too big?? they are 3.64mb and max size is 195.3kb, so not sure if thats the reason

Not sure on sizing, but I know when I take with my camera (8 mega pixels) I usually have to do some magic to make them smaller in size to upload.

My magic is open your photo in Paint, click on Image and resize horizontal and vertical to 25% save.

Hope that helps :)

Louise317
10-06-2011, 11:14 AM
took me too long to reply lol we posted at the same time.

Your play room looks great!! Love the all about me board and the different nationalities up the top :)

alwaysright
10-06-2011, 11:18 AM
well i've learnt something new today :laughing: i've learnt how to resize a jpeg and upload onto this site :laughing:

Aimi-jo
10-06-2011, 01:26 PM
I wish i had a playroom :( all the pics are lovely x

Rain or Shine
10-06-2011, 02:34 PM
You guys have some really lovely playrooms, full of toys and colours. Mines so boring, hmmmmm................mission lol

More pics please xxxx

francinejayne
10-06-2011, 02:41 PM
I would love a playroom but it will never happen. I just think it's so lovely having so many things on the wall, but I can't do it to that extent as it's my house! Kitty2910 - yours is lovely, I love everything!!!

alwaysright
10-06-2011, 11:24 PM
I would love a playroom but it will never happen. I just think it's so lovely having so many things on the wall, but I can't do it to that extent as it's my house! Kitty2910 - yours is lovely, I love everything!!!

argh thankyou francine, before i had my playroom i didnt put stuff on my walls either and i worked for a few years before i had my playroom before it was my dining room!!

Roseolivia
11-06-2011, 06:29 AM
This is how my playroom was before going on maternity. Once decorated it will be the same apart from the kitchen area is now in the wendy house outside.

Rmead
11-06-2011, 08:13 AM
It's great to see other's playrooms as I'm a newbie.

I can't work out attachments so am putting links to Facebook album if it works.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7042944&l=bc1901ed42&id=509333516

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7042941&l=cc453ae930&id=509333516

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7125217&l=279eaaec68&id=509333516

Mine's a bit too chaotic at the moment, it doesn't show the one side which has more storage and the table with artwork above it, which is next to the sunflower. where the mirror house is is normally our reading corner and I'm going to make that into a proper cosy one on my holiday next week and also label all my drawers/storage systems and put up photos/artwork. My holiday is going to be mainly childminding organisation!

kitty2910 I love your display of people around the world :)

kel1983
11-06-2011, 08:24 AM
I so so jelous. I wanna playroom. :(
We use our lounge as the main playing are which has patio doors out on to a large decking area which has a roof over it

The toys are currently stored up in our small box room so every morning we have to get them down and then put them back in the evenings.

I cant stick anything on the walls :(

We have an office room at the front of our house which has a sofa, pc and tv in. Our plan is to use this for a chillout room. Perhaps let the older ones use it after school so they are not annoying the lo's. Hopefully get some more child friendly picyures on the wall in there with more toy storage. I use the trofast system so hopefully can get some more of this for the office room so that the toys can be rotated with the ones upstairs and make it easier in the mornings and evenings

Rain or Shine
11-06-2011, 08:31 AM
If i minded from my home i wouldn't have a playroom, no room to even mind.

I use my Dads house, the playroom used to be his office/study. When i moved out he moved it into my bedroom and let me have the playroom. I do love my playroom, just can't wait to get some kids in so i can get earning and get it looking the way i want it too. Really wanna label up my boxes but can't afford a laminator yet. grrrrrr lol

Loving the pics guys, some real nice colourful playrooms. Be nice to see pictures of minders areas who do not have playrooms, how do you guys get set up? xxx

sweets
11-06-2011, 09:21 AM
All your playrooms look lovely,

i used to desperatly want a playroom as got so sick of toys everywhere, i live in a small terraced house and have to use my through lounge diner as living area/playarea.

At one point i even considered moving to a 2 bed bungalow so i could use the second bedroom as a playroom.

BUT my outlook on it has changed, parents place their children with us for home care and not nursery care, and even though playrooms are great they are often set up as 'nursery rooms'.
I condensed a lot of my toys and got rid of quite a few and store a lot in a double wardrobe upstairs, i am lucky at the mo as my mindees are of similar ages so the toys upstairs are mostly the aged inappropriate ones.
i have a large 5x5 expedit unit in my dining room and the toys are stored in nice baskets which 'hide' them, but the children know exactly whats in each.
we get one or baskets out each morn and change them as and when rather than having everything accessable.
just interested to know from the people with playrooms, don't the children just 'trash' it? lol and get EVERYTHING out at once.

What i would REALLY REALLY want instead of a playroom is a downstairs loo:laughing:

so those people without playrooms don't look at as a disadvantage, its just a different way of working.

saying all that if i did move and had a room i could use as a playroom then i would but i would still set it up to be a living area too. but it would be nice to be able shut the door on it in the eve and to be able to put posters/artwork up which is something i cant do at the mo.:thumbsup:

zoomzoom
11-06-2011, 10:40 AM
removed as pics come up too big

PixiePetal
11-06-2011, 10:58 AM
All your playrooms look lovely,

i used to desperatly want a playroom as got so sick of toys everywhere, i live in a small terraced house and have to use my through lounge diner as living area/playarea.

At one point i even considered moving to a 2 bed bungalow so i could use the second bedroom as a playroom.

BUT my outlook on it has changed, parents place their children with us for home care and not nursery care, and even though playrooms are great they are often set up as 'nursery rooms'.
I condensed a lot of my toys and got rid of quite a few and store a lot in a double wardrobe upstairs, i am lucky at the mo as my mindees are of similar ages so the toys upstairs are mostly the aged inappropriate ones.
i have a large 5x5 expedit unit in my dining room and the toys are stored in nice baskets which 'hide' them, but the children know exactly whats in each.
we get one or baskets out each morn and change them as and when rather than having everything accessable.
just interested to know from the people with playrooms, don't the children just 'trash' it? lol and get EVERYTHING out at once.

What i would REALLY REALLY want instead of a playroom is a downstairs loo:laughing:

so those people without playrooms don't look at as a disadvantage, its just a different way of working.

saying all that if i did move and had a room i could use as a playroom then i would but i would still set it up to be a living area too. but it would be nice to be able shut the door on it in the eve and to be able to put posters/artwork up which is something i cant do at the mo.:thumbsup:

I have to agree - the playroom is great - even though it is small, it has a futon to be used as a spare room too :) but since moving to this house the downstairs loo is a real winner :thumbsup: :laughing: my kids are teens so great not to have the toys in our living room anymore, but the loo :clapping: :laughing:

nokidshere
11-06-2011, 05:42 PM
hope this works :laughing:

Thats Lovely :thumbsup:

I used to have a playroom but I only do 1.5 hours after school for older children now and don't really need one. We use the conservatory for toys and games storage but the children use the whole house to play in.

Dragonfly
11-06-2011, 07:33 PM
I can really understand what Sweets is saying. childminding is becoming more like a nursery setting. even though I am guilty of having a small playroom. when I started 15 years ago I wouldnt of dreamt of having one and certainly not put things up like a notice board:eek: ( yes, got a big one in the playroom).Why Do we look like nurseries? its our homes after all.I bet the parents of the children that we mind wonted a home from home thats why they chose a childminder.

And yes, your play rooms are really, really lovely I dont mean to cause offence.

Rain or Shine
11-06-2011, 08:09 PM
I can really understand what Sweets is saying. childminding is becoming more like a nursery setting. even though I am guilty of having a small playroom. when I started 15 years ago I wouldnt of dreamt of having one and certainly not put things up like a notice board:eek: ( yes, got a big one in the playroom).Why Do we look like nurseries? its our homes after all.I bet the parents of the children that we mind wonted a home from home thats why they chose a childminder.

And yes, your play rooms are really, really lovely I dont mean to cause offence.

I have a playroom because its inside my Dads house and he doesn't want my business to take over his home. Ofsted have completely changed home from home care, it is more structured than what it once was, but its just making sure we are dedcated to the job and the best is done for the children. Least with it being like this no Tom, Dick or Harry will do it just for the money. Its all the people who abuse childrens faults really, its made the world unsafe for them and now Ofsted are on top of carers.

I was a nursery nurse before i became a child minder so that side of things comes easily and naturally to me. I think thats why my notice board is so over the top.

I didn't create this post for negativity, i created it so i could get some ideas for my playroom and also find out how people set out their homes if they don't have a playroom. I'm only just getting back into it after losing my baby so just wanted a little help.

Jods
11-06-2011, 08:15 PM
I was a nursery nurse before i became a child minder so that side of things comes easily and naturally to me. I think thats why my notice board is so over the top.

I didn't create this post for negativity, i created it so i could get some ideas for my playroom and also find out how people set out their homes if they don't have a playroom. I'm only just getting back into it after losing my baby so just wanted a little help.

I am a preshool assistant, and as much will be supporting play through the EYFS, am intending not to provide a 'playroom', there will be opportunities for play, and toys will be accessable, and there will be a notice board lol!!

but I had a really good chat with my ECO, prior to becomming a childminder and its all to do with outdoor play, so maybe look outside a little more than inside x we wont always agree, what suits one does not suit another, and what one parent loves another will hate, but as much as you have a playroom, I dont x different strokes for different folks :)

sweets
11-06-2011, 08:19 PM
I have a playroom because its inside my Dads house and he doesn't want my business to take over his home. Ofsted have completely changed home from home care, it is more structured than what it once was, but its just making sure we are dedcated to the job and the best is done for the children. Least with it being like this no Tom, Dick or Harry will do it just for the money. Its all the people who abuse childrens faults really, its made the world unsafe for them and now Ofsted are on top of carers.

sorry i didnt mean to cause offence or negativity, i love all your playrooms but was just trying to make a point that everyone doesnt need a playroom and that minders can work just as well without one. :)

Mrs Book
11-06-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm jelous I'd love a playroom only because I'd like a room to sit at night and not have to look at toys everwhere and also to give my children their bedrooms back and not have toys they don't play with :laughing:

Rain or Shine
11-06-2011, 08:47 PM
You know the saying, the grass is always greener on the other side, no matter what is said or done people will always want something else or something to be different.

I'm happy to keep the real messy play in the playroom rather than around Dads house. We can use all rooms but he just doesn't want it to completely take over. I want my playroom to look appealing.

Ant_h18
11-06-2011, 09:40 PM
I was going to upload our playroom but cant upload for some reason.

But it say this down the bottom of the page

You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

Rain or Shine
11-06-2011, 09:48 PM
I was going to upload our playroom but cant upload for some reason.

But it say this down the bottom of the page

You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

You currently only have a really basic profile, once you make so many posts you then become entitled to upload pics. Best to ask Pauline or Sarah as i'm not sure when it will change x

kim-d
12-06-2011, 03:25 PM
It looks great
Hers some pictures of mine I have only been doing this since april. My son and I have painted the window this weekend. I hope they have worked.
:thumbsup:
Sorry keeps saying its failed don't know what I am doing really sorry did try.

mumto3
12-06-2011, 05:11 PM
I thought having no playroom was a disadvantage but after reading this I sort of agree with the home from home thing, it is true, playrooms are lovely but do look alot like nursery rooms but there is nothing wrong with them, its peoples choice how they choose to work, I do however have a downstairs loo and I love it when we have guests, no-one needs to go upstairs :thumbsup: which is a bonus

blue bear
12-06-2011, 05:50 PM
I think play rooms are just convenient, it's all there ready to go, no lugging boxes around and you can shut the door and Its gone when last mindee goes home.
On the whole mine prefer playing in the rest of the house or garden and play room is more like a massive wardrobe with toys stored in there.

Yes it does look like a nursery room but it's the type of care you give that gives childminding that home from home touch, we don't spend all day in there like you would in a nursery it's just storage really

Rain or Shine
12-06-2011, 06:47 PM
I think play rooms are just convenient, it's all there ready to go, no lugging boxes around and you can shut the door and Its gone when last mindee goes home.
On the whole mine prefer playing in the rest of the house or garden and play room is more like a massive wardrobe with toys stored in there.

Yes it does look like a nursery room but it's the type of care you give that gives childminding that home from home touch, we don't spend all day in there like you would in a nursery it's just storage really

I totally agree Fi Fi x

ziggy
13-06-2011, 02:45 PM
i have just taken sofa out of my playroom as it was used as a trampoline, given me lots more space and after reading this, cant wait for mindees to go home so i can go mad and totally reorganise playroom:clapping:

Ant_h18
14-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Hi here is are playroom dont know if its ok :)

Rain or Shine
14-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Hi here is are playroom dont know if its ok :)

Its lovely, looks really nice xxxx

glitzygal
14-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Here is my sensory garden, the tubes are great fun, the children find the balls that i hide and roll them down the tubes, they are excited when they come out the other end.

I have lots of outside play, even in the rain, we have great fun, making a mad dash to the gazebo........

As you can see in the picture my LO has a nice sleep under the gazebo in the shade, while we play in the garden, he is on a cot matress.

:thumbsup:

sdean
15-06-2011, 09:37 PM
I am struggling to attach my photos but I have a facebook page with some photos on.
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Sarah-Dean-Childminding/129648067109473

chibault
15-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Hi Rain or Shine,
you're so lucky to have a play room, I'd soooo love to have one! My play room is basically every room in my house other than the bathroom.

This page should give you lots of inspiration for your playroom.:)
http://pinterest.com/thelittlelist/learning-spaces/

Personally I have incorporated the Montessori method into my home and find it's much nicer to live with, as everything is neat and tidy and a pleasure to look at. I tried plastic boxes of toys and they drove me round the bend. Also it's cheaper to make the toys and you don't end up with piles of plastic toys everywhere.

My advice would be have areas, as it's easier for the children to select what they want to do next and where the toys are to be put away, so even if they're not put away exactly right, they're still in the right area. So I have areas and change the items once the children stop playing with them:

- a music area (tray on a shelf with a few musical instruments which are changed regularly).
- a book nook/literacy area by the sofa (books, shapes to draw around, pencils, paper, sandpaper letters, a simple painted alphabet, phonics cards)
- a nature area which covers botany and zoology (tray with different things from nature, such as feathers, conkers, sticks, leaves, pine cones and stones, plus magnifying glasses, plastic animals to match up with the flags of the world they come from, a leaf, tree and flower puzzle - this names all the parts of the flower, wooden puzzle matching baby animals to their parents)
- practical life area (play post box, a set to learn to use tongs to pick up pom poms - made from egg box, mini tongs and a bowl on a tray, basket with pegs in - to peg around the edge, money box and change, two bowls and a spoon with cereal - to learn spooning, jugs and water - to learn pouring skills, threading buttons, nuts and bolts board, hammering).
- sensorial area (generally montessori materials I have purchased or made, like sand paper cards, which kids match the grains of sandpaper to develop their sense of touch, colour matching games - made with laminated colour cards (made from paint charts) and a box of matching coloured items like buttons, toys, stones, spoons and coloured wooden blocks. Anything else which develops their senses, like tasting cups (to match flavours), sound pots (to match sounds) these are film canisters filled with things like rice or pasta, but superglued down! And a few russian dolls and a wooden sequence puzzle)
- geography area (land and water forms made from sculpey - lake/island, strait/isthumus, peninsula/bay, home made globe painted so the water area is blue and smooth and land is rough and mustard colour, flags.
- science area (mainly magnet play as other science things I tend to set up every so often)
- art area and others such as dress up are in flux, as I am currently working on moving the remaining plastic items (such as toy shop/kitchen) out to the playhouse.

There are loads of websites and blogs out there on how to make your own educational equipment, so worth checking it out.

Good luck,
Becky x

kel1983
16-06-2011, 07:07 AM
I am struggling to attach my photos but I have a facebook page with some photos on.

Love your playroom. I want one.

Louise317
16-06-2011, 12:57 PM

Your setting looks great Sarah :)

fiona
16-06-2011, 08:27 PM
this is out play room form one end!! :clapping:

holly...007
17-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Luv luv luv your playroom fiona! do you mind me asking where you got ur mat? :D

watgem
18-06-2011, 04:43 PM
am loving all these playrooms, although i don't have one its giving me ideas that i could adapt and use, thank you for sharing everyone:)

Terri R
18-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Loving the playrooms, i use our conservatory but definatly need to get more organised.

moljak
18-06-2011, 07:59 PM
loving all these pictures.I'm currently furnishing a 12ft x 8ft shed in my garden to take the inside outside :)

These ideas are fab and I will come back and show you my end pictures soon I hope!

clio0602
18-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Hi Rain or Shine,
you're so lucky to have a play room, I'd soooo love to have one! My play room is basically every room in my house other than the bathroom.

This page should give you lots of inspiration for your playroom.:)
http://pinterest.com/thelittlelist/learning-spaces/

Personally I have incorporated the Montessori method into my home and find it's much nicer to live with, as everything is neat and tidy and a pleasure to look at. I tried plastic boxes of toys and they drove me round the bend. Also it's cheaper to make the toys and you don't end up with piles of plastic toys everywhere.

My advice would be have areas, as it's easier for the children to select what they want to do next and where the toys are to be put away, so even if they're not put away exactly right, they're still in the right area. So I have areas and change the items once the children stop playing with them:

- a music area (tray on a shelf with a few musical instruments which are changed regularly).
- a book nook/literacy area by the sofa (books, shapes to draw around, pencils, paper, sandpaper letters, a simple painted alphabet, phonics cards)
- a nature area which covers botany and zoology (tray with different things from nature, such as feathers, conkers, sticks, leaves, pine cones and stones, plus magnifying glasses, plastic animals to match up with the flags of the world they come from, a leaf, tree and flower puzzle - this names all the parts of the flower, wooden puzzle matching baby animals to their parents)
- practical life area (play post box, a set to learn to use tongs to pick up pom poms - made from egg box, mini tongs and a bowl on a tray, basket with pegs in - to peg around the edge, money box and change, two bowls and a spoon with cereal - to learn spooning, jugs and water - to learn pouring skills, threading buttons, nuts and bolts board, hammering).
- sensorial area (generally montessori materials I have purchased or made, like sand paper cards, which kids match the grains of sandpaper to develop their sense of touch, colour matching games - made with laminated colour cards (made from paint charts) and a box of matching coloured items like buttons, toys, stones, spoons and coloured wooden blocks. Anything else which develops their senses, like tasting cups (to match flavours), sound pots (to match sounds) these are film canisters filled with things like rice or pasta, but superglued down! And a few russian dolls and a wooden sequence puzzle)
- geography area (land and water forms made from sculpey - lake/island, strait/isthumus, peninsula/bay, home made globe painted so the water area is blue and smooth and land is rough and mustard colour, flags.
- science area (mainly magnet play as other science things I tend to set up every so often)
- art area and others such as dress up are in flux, as I am currently working on moving the remaining plastic items (such as toy shop/kitchen) out to the playhouse.

There are loads of websites and blogs out there on how to make your own educational equipment, so worth checking it out.

Good luck,
Becky x

Love all these ideas. Def going to incorporate more montessori when I start up fully again later in the yr!

fiona
18-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Luv luv luv your playroom fiona! do you mind me asking where you got ur mat? :D

hi ya, i got my rug from tts :) they had lots of different ones

cchildcare
18-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Some great playrooms on here, good to get ideas! I've just finished painting the radiator guard! x

alwaysright
18-06-2011, 10:10 PM
loving the radiator cover!!

Jiorjiina
18-06-2011, 10:38 PM
That radiator cover is awesome, I love it!

Chimps Childminding
19-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Some great playrooms on here, good to get ideas! I've just finished painting the radiator guard! x

Love the radiator guard and the butterfly's on the wall!!! Now I REALLY want a playroom :(

Dragonfly
19-06-2011, 06:03 PM
cchildcare WOW!! great radiator cover.

Playmate
19-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Love that radiator cover, but I don't have a radiator in my playroom :(

snufflepuff
19-06-2011, 08:15 PM
I don't have a playroom. I used to have one but it was upstairs and it just didn't work.
I do use our smallest bedroom as toy storage though (and now there's a travel cot up in there, so the room is really rammed full!), plus my son's room is huge so we have lots of toys in there. And I have a big unit in my lounge full of toys. Apart from a small noticeboard in the hallway with my registration certificate and parent poster on, you wouldn't know I was a childminder. My son is only 2 so even if I wasn't minding we would have toys all over the place!
I'd love a downstairs playroom- for starters it would save my lounge carpet from getting ruined! I'd be able to store all the toys in there which would free up the small bedroom for a second baby one day. And i'd be able to put up a nice big display board and hang lots of pictures all over the walls- I don't feel I can do this anywhere else because it needs to still be my home at the end of each day.

adele1985
20-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Hey guys

I am opening this thread to hopefully give new and already well established childminders ideas on how to set out their playrooms and what to put in them.

I have been registered since Nov 2010 and its not gone brilliantly for me, had some awful bully children and then lost my baby. I am now looking at starting up again and feel my room looks very plain. When I became a childminder I quickly bought lots of plastic stuff just soI had toys and now as I go I want to buy more natural items for the children I finally find. I do have a sensory basket so i am trying lol.

I was wondering if some of you lovely people would put pictures of your playrooms in this thread and maybe one of your most enjoyed toys.

I would really appreciate the inspiration and I am sure many others will too xxxx

I have attached some pics of my playroom (child is dd) xxx

Hi hun ive just redcorated my playroom tried to attach pics but for some reason it keeps failing. Ive got them on my facebook page (adeles childminding) if you wanna have a look on there feel free to leave a comment :-). all I need now are children to go in it as my only child is starting school in september :-(