PDA

View Full Version : Wasted Food...

sarah32
30-04-2008, 02:44 PM
I have a 2 1.2 year old I mind and shes really fussy with her food. Mum told me when she first started.

Mum sends food, she'll eat it one day and next she wont even touch it, not even a mouthful. I try and persuade her and try to help but she refuses. Then mum wants me to give them a snack at 2.30 as they get collected at 3pm. Ive tried everything and she just wont eat it. Today shes not eaten with me at all.:(

Mum doesnt know what to do as shes fighting a battle with husband because when she doesnt eat something he feeds her somethink behind her back like biscuits (which she loves). Said that will end up worse if carries on.:angry:

Ive even tried giving her my own food. Ive tried fruit, vegetables, cheeses and so on trying to be healthy but she just wont try it. She just sits there and stares at me. Wont even talk to me. Ive never known a child not even to try a food.

Im getting fed up throwing so much food in the bin and now little brother is copying.:mad:

I was wondering if anyone else going through this. My own two went through stages of not eating certain foods but this is all new to me and I feel bad when shes not eaten anything all day.

sarah707
30-04-2008, 02:48 PM
I cannot abide waste... so I give them tiny plates with only a little bit on there and there's always a little bit more if they finish... I do not push or bribe - like this one's father seems to be doing :rolleyes:

My dd was a very particular eater - still is... my ds will eat anything and usually does... they are both strapping teenagers...

Try not to worry! :D

Pipsqueak
30-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Sometimes the more fuss we create about children not eating then the more they pick up on it.

Perhaps you and mum can agree - child gets presented with food, given reasonable amount of time to eat, no reminders etc. After time period has expired, just take the plate/food away. Continue to do this at all meal/snack times. Child will soon learn - no fuss, no problem with parents = I am getting hungry.... hmmm I will eat. Saying that, some kids are just poor/minimal eaters - so long as they are thriving then there is no problem.

Mum really really needs to tackle the dad and get him to understand that he is undermining mum, you and that he is not doing himself any favours in the long run nor his child. He could be creating a bigger problem later on - an eating problem (dare I say it - a disorder) but encouraging this child to eat in secret, allowing the "fad" to continue etc.

xxx

sarah32
30-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Ive already learnt not to say anything to her while shes eating, like eat up, eat some more. I just say things like this is nice, doing very well etc. As we use to have tears when she first started, she didnt want to do something she just started crying, well sceaming. Nothing wrong with her so I thought best to ignore and she no longer does this now.

I did say to mum that she needs to stop husband from giving her food. He gave her biscuits in the morning once as she didnt eat her breakfast.:angry:

Mum has cut down on there portions, did tell her I felt they were too big. Just the right size now. She just wants to eat junk, I know if I give her biscuits or crisps she';d eat it.:mad:

Pipsqueak
30-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Could you have a meeting with both parents (mum in on "it") for a discussion about childs eating whereby you all agree on the plan - this may "ram" it home a bit with Dad. (Don't forget to take notes and get parents to sign including Dad):D

Also do some healthy eating topics and get some information booklets and leaflets to send home. You can include good oral hygiene in all this and the effects of sugary biccies blah blah

flora
30-04-2008, 04:28 PM
My dd is a total night mare to feed. She likes a fair variety of foods, but choses not to eat them with any regularity. One day she'll eat cheerios for breakfast, the next day she'll look at you as though you are trying to poison her :D

Gets mighty fustrating as some days you feel like she has only eaten junk. Balance it over the week and she does ok.

Like your mindee, talking or encouraging just makes her eat less :mad: .

Get Dad to quit with the biscuits if you can, give very small bits, maybe just one mouthfull of each thing your serving and don't fuss/ worry. If she's healthy in every other way, she must be getting it from somewhere ( that what my doc says anyway)

breezy
30-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Don't fret or give in, she'll eat when she's hungry! Stop dad giving her junk would be the key!
Present her ,as Sarah said, with small portions, if she doesn't eat it then offer nothing else and quietly clear away.
Good luck

tulip0803
30-04-2008, 06:17 PM
When DD2 went to her cm she very rarely ate anything and if she did it would only be cherry tomatoes - unless cake was on offer:rolleyes:

We decided not to fuss and if she ate she ate and if she didn't she didn't. She started by eating her packed lunch on the way home and eventually she would eat at lunchtime. Like the others say commenting or fussing can make it worse. Some children do not seem to need much and then suddenly you cannot keep up with the hunger.

Hope you can work something out.

Twinkles
30-04-2008, 06:26 PM
I had two really good eaters and then my third child was the fussiest eater ever.
He only liked baked beans, chicken nuggets and yoghurt.

I remember a holiday in America when I asked for yoghurt at the supermarket all they could come up with was frozen yoghurt or directions to the health food store :rolleyes:

He's now 19 and eats for England.

Gherkin
30-04-2008, 08:22 PM
I have a mindee who when they started with me last year did not talk to me and would eat nothing at my house.

I now cannot keep her quiet (bless) and she will eat sandwiches, bananas, yogurts, peas. Ok so it isn't much but to me and her mum it is a huge victory. She'll eat ham at my house but will not eat it for mum now.

I honestly think because I didn't make a fuss it is why she came round. I always offer her what ever is going. My dd always asks to have a bite of my sarny and I always offer the mindee in case she wants a bit.

Sorry I'm not being much help.

ma7ie
30-04-2008, 08:50 PM
My dd 2yrs is a terrible eater and like Flora's dd likes something one day and not another.

I just don't make an issue out of it. All she's eaten all day is a fruit pouch and a bit of mashed potato but I know if I'd offered her chocolate or biscuits she would have wolfed them down.

She is very slender but not skinny. I know that if she was hungry she would eat and if she is being fussy about something she usually eats then it gets taken away and nothing else is offered.

My sister suffered from anorexia from mid teens until late 20's and it is a horrible thing to watch and I'd advise everybody not to make an issue out of food.

sarah32
01-05-2008, 07:00 AM
As suggested.
From now on im going to put her food in front of her, help the 2 x 1 year old eat their lunches and by the time they have eaten theirs she should be either finished or shes not going to eat it. Ill just take it away and say she can get down from the table.

I'll tell mum to do the same at home and maybe she realise thats all shes going to get.

Hoping at works.:)

Thanks everyone for the advice.

honey
01-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Sometimes the more fuss we create about children not eating then the more they pick up on it.

Perhaps you and mum can agree - child gets presented with food, given reasonable amount of time to eat, no reminders etc. After time period has expired, just take the plate/food away. Continue to do this at all meal/snack times. Child will soon learn - no fuss, no problem with parents = I am getting hungry.... hmmm I will eat. Saying that, some kids are just poor/minimal eaters - so long as they are thriving then there is no problem.

Mum really really needs to tackle the dad and get him to understand that he is undermining mum, you and that he is not doing himself any favours in the long run nor his child. He could be creating a bigger problem later on - an eating problem (dare I say it - a disorder) but encouraging this child to eat in secret, allowing the "fad" to continue etc.

xxx
Yes i agreee with this my child was a fusy eater, take no notice at al even if you walk out the room or just carry on cleaning the kitchen etc. it does work

mummyof3
01-05-2008, 10:03 AM
My little boy is 2 and he is a really fussy eater - he can go for days without eating much and like the dad I usually give him a flapjack/yogurt/biscuit - anything just so he will eat! My older daughter was like that as well (they are like two peas in a pod!) she now eats anything and everything and comes back for second helpings! I think its a control thing and once they are hungry they will eventually eat! Thats what I keep telling myself with my little one anyway :laughing:

sarah32
01-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Today I put the food in front of her, didnt say anything and just left her to get on with it, started feeding the other two and had little looks without her knowing, she looked at it for a while and then started eating. Didnt eat alot but its better, gave her a yoghurt for trying but didnt say this.:)

Im going to mention to mum to do the same and try not to talk about it in front her because I know shes listening. Ill just put in her diary daily what shes eaten.

Hopefully this will work.

Pipsqueak
01-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Good start Sarah:clapping: Hope it all goes from strength to strength

ma7ie
01-05-2008, 01:59 PM
You're definately doing the right thing. Hope it carries on and she starts eating more.