PDA

View Full Version : Registering my daughter-help needed please!

JOANNE
07-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Hi
My Daughter is 16 and has had her routine CRB check done.
She is on exam leave now with only 2 more exams to go, then she`s not back at college until Sept.
My query is, can i get her registered as my assistant (that way she can earn some £ in the holidays (i have been asked to mind an 8 yr old in the holidays)
Would i need to inform the tax and N.I that i would be paying her a wage?
Could i deduct those earnings from my income as i am paying her a wage?

Any info would be great-thanks :)

anisha
07-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Hi Joanne, hope someone comes on soon with some info as I am in the same boat.

Rain or Shine
07-06-2011, 09:45 AM
I thought If you are employing someone then you have to do it properly? Doesn't she have to make her tax contribution and she would be entitled to all workers rights, holidays, sick pay etc....

I might be wrong x

bandlady
07-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Hi

I have just done this for the same reasons as you my 16 year old daughter is just about to leave school and go onto college in September. I have regisitered her as my assistant and had to fill in an enchanced crb check. Phone Ofsted and they will give you all information you need and send out forms for you to fill in. I had mine sent email to save time. It does take a few weeks so the quicker you get forms the better. As for wages I am not to sure about tax and n.i but I am sure she will be earning well below her taxable allowance to have to worry about it but hopefully someone else will come along and put you straight on that one.

I have been paying my daughter a 'wage' for a while and have used it against my taxable income.

Denise

Goatgirl
07-06-2011, 10:08 AM
HI :),
There are specific rules about 'employing' a young person this age: is she going back to college/6th form? As a student they can only work a certain number of hours I think and earn a certain amount before any NI would be payable...
In your position I would ring HMRC to get clarification, preferably in writing, but definitely take the name of the person you speak to.

You can claim their wages against your income :thumbsup:

I'm sure Debbie26 has posted info about this (and others ), previously so a search of old posts may shed some light on the situation.

Good luck :)

p.s. If you are registering her to increase your numbers, this sometimes doesn't happen: its not automatic. But as the holiday mindee is 8 he/she doesn't count in numbers anyway :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)

glitzygal
28-06-2011, 10:00 PM
I was understanding that to be an assistant you had to be 18.......

i know when someone becomes 16 you need a CRB check done from ofsted...

am I correct or wrong,,,,

gazanne
30-06-2011, 06:30 PM
At 16 they can help look after the children but never left alone with them until they are 18 then you need to tell ofsted and go through the usual checks/first aid.

sharonmanc
30-06-2011, 08:17 PM
I was just reading up on this as my daughter will be in her last year of school from september, and 16 from january.

You can pay a child of yours to help with setting up, clearing dishes etc andcalim against yoru income, but you have to make sure you check employemtn laws about hours they can work for their age, and yes once 16 they can be an assistant, but not left alone with kids, i need to read up on it some more as it will be a good "job" for my daughter as saturday, part time jobs are few and far between at this age range