PDA

View Full Version : Batch cooking

JumpingJacks
07-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Does anyone do this? and if so what are good dishes to freeze. At present I cook fresh every day, but it's not every day that we can eat as a family with mindees. So was thinking about batch cooking.

Also as 2 mindees I have after school are only with me for an hour or so after school so feel guilty when I have to cook on those days as I don't get to do as much as I would like with them.

Obviously I would need to follow H&S guidelines with regards to freezing food etc, but just wondered if anyone could offer tips in things that are good to freeze :)

Only things I have ever frozen are curry and spag bol

Thanks in advance

Jac xx

edayhouse
07-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Morning
Well i dont have to cook tea for any mindees but i do batch cook for my own family - foods i generally do are:

Bolognaise
Chilli
Mince
Soups (loads of different kinds)
Chicken in a sauce
Sausage casserole or any type of casserole meat/chicken etc
curry

cant think of anything else just now my mind has went blank but it definately makes life so much easier during the week when i have limited time.

JumpingJacks
07-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. Just having a google with a quick cuppa as 2 mindees are fast asleep! That walk in the rain from pre school must have worn them out!!

Cammie Doodle
07-06-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't supply meals now, but I used to , and I made cottage pies, fish pies, fishcakes, casseroles (various types) soups, spag bol, chilli, lasagne etc . I used to have a full shelf in my freezer with child sized portions :D

Chell
07-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Do you have a slow cooker? I use mine alot but fill it to the top. That way it does two meals or a meal plus lunches for DH.

We're veggie, I freeze:
Lasagne
A puy lentil mix that can be made into lasagne or a potato topped pie
Veg/bean chilli - can be topped with potatoes/cheese to make a wintery meal Nigellas fully loaded potato skins
Tomato pasta sauce
Tomato and marscapone sauce
Green lentil sauce to serve with veggie sausages

ChocolateChip
07-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Most things everyone else has put, also
moussaka
hot pot

miffy
07-06-2011, 08:33 PM
I often double up quantities especially if I'm using the slow cooker then freeze whatever is left over.

It means we're never stuck for a meal - great if I don't fancy cooking from scratch one day :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

JumpingJacks
08-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Thanks for all of your advice :)

I am going to have a batch cooking day on tuesday I think! Just seems more practicle than what I am doing now.

Thanks again

Jac x

flowerpots
08-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Ive been thinking about batch cooking for a while, think i might give it a try this weekend. :thumbsup:

georgie456
08-06-2011, 01:17 PM
I batch cook!
I do all of the above suggestions, and also make my own little pies - I buy the puff pastry from the supermaket, and then I make up a mince batch and a chicken batch - lots of veggies and stock and then cut out circles (sometimes I make hearts or stars, depending on what large cutters I have), make up the pies, brish with beaten egg and cook until golden brown. Then they can be frozen and when I need them, i take them out the freezer in the morning, and then reheat in the oven for about 15 mins for dinner. The kids love them.

If you want my proper recipes, feel free to pop me a pm and I'll send it over :)

JumpingJacks
08-06-2011, 05:24 PM
I batch cook!
I do all of the above suggestions, and also make my own little pies - I buy the puff pastry from the supermaket, and then I make up a mince batch and a chicken batch - lots of veggies and stock and then cut out circles (sometimes I make hearts or stars, depending on what large cutters I have), make up the pies, brish with beaten egg and cook until golden brown. Then they can be frozen and when I need them, i take them out the freezer in the morning, and then reheat in the oven for about 15 mins for dinner. The kids love them.

If you want my proper recipes, feel free to pop me a pm and I'll send it over :)

Yummmmmmm!! Sounds lovely! Will be pm'ing you :D thank you