PDA

View Full Version : bank holiday !

haribo
30-04-2008, 01:09 PM
hi , i could do with a bit of help, im minding a lo whose mum is on maternity leave, i have him monday and wednesday. mums at home with baby but she sends lo because i charged her for two days a week to keep the place. anyway i have a feeling they will ask me if i will have the lo on a different day so he still gets two days here next week. now they know i have a place but i am reluctant because i know they wii only expect to pay 2 days still even tho im supposed to get paid on bank hols. any ideas? what would you do? i am quite flexible but dont want to be a mug, after all they get paid And a day off for b. hols.xx

katickles
30-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi can't realy help as i'm in similar position, well kind of! I charge for bank hols & this next week don't know how i'm going to handle to whole payment issue. I had child A Mon, Thurs & Fri. Last bank hol & good Fri I didn't get paid as was only temp & I let it go. Now have signed contract & realy don't think i'll get paid as I get paid cash on Mondays:panic:

Just wanted to say that I think you should stick to your rules, easier said than done sometimes though isn't it:rolleyes:

sarah707
30-04-2008, 01:25 PM
I do not want to work bank holidays so I do not charge. :D

Lou
30-04-2008, 01:28 PM
If it is in the contract then be strong and enforce it.

Haribo, i would agree to have a child a different day if they ask but just say very casually of course you will have to pay for three days though as you are contracted for monday. THen invoice for it.

Kate, I would ask your parent on thurs, are you going to bring my money tomorrow for next week as i wont see you on mon? if they get funny point them to the contract.

Sorry i feel quite strongly about bank holidays most people (i know not all) get paid and get a day off, but yet they think they shouldnt have to pay you if the child isnt coming. I have always charged for bank hols and not worked them.

Noodles
30-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi i charge half fees for bank holidays as they are counted as my holiday entitlement and i charge half fees for my holidays:)

Pipsqueak
30-04-2008, 01:42 PM
I do not want to work bank holidays so I do not charge. :D

Ditto. Sorry I can't help:blush:

deeb66
30-04-2008, 01:50 PM
I do charge full fee for Bank Holidays and I do not work them.

I totally agree with what Lou says and that is in a majority of cases the parents have the day off and get paid.

I have had a similar problem in the past where I had to remind the parent that they still had to pay for the day as per our agreed contract.

I agreed to take the child on another day but made it quite clear that they would have to pay for that day also......I was therefore paid for 5 days that week as I had the child on the Friday when normally she came Mon -Thur.

You need to decide what you want to do and if it is to charge for the Monday and the extra day (if that is what parent wants) then you need to be quite strong about it and remind them that it is in the contract that you are paid for Bank Holidays.

I hope it all goes well....good luck!

wendywu
30-04-2008, 01:52 PM
The NCMA advise you get some paid time off. The only holidays i charge for are bank holidays, even if i am away.

Just say to her, "as you know Monday is a bank holiday, but if you want two days rest from lo, i can always work an extra day for you but of course it will mean you paying for three days. i dont mind either way it is your choice" Thats nice and polite and it looks like you are doing her a favor.:)

ma7ie
30-04-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm the same as Sarahnev and Pipsqueak. Don't want to work Bank Holidays so don't charge.

haribo
30-04-2008, 05:51 PM
thanks for all the advice . well i was worrying unnecessarily as when mum came she just said the lo would be a bit later than usual on wednesday, so would see me then! no mention of a different day. even though i dont want to work bank hols they are kind of forced on us and a days pay is a lot to lose, plus they come along thick and fast at this time of year!!

Gherkin
30-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Ditto. Sorry I can't help:blush:

Double ditto - my bank hols are precious family time, especially as I am starting to work on saturdays.

Lou
30-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Double ditto - my bank hols are precious family time, especially as I am starting to work on saturdays.

me too absoulutly!!! Thats why i charge for them but wont work them!!! If someone was in a position where they needed me to work them, they would have to pay at least double!!!!