PDA

View Full Version : Mindee has damaged my wall

catlyn
06-06-2011, 08:56 PM
I am after a bit of advice please...this afternoon while i was changing babys nappy his sister (3) picked up a toy and started bashing the wall...despite me repeatedly telling her to stop she carried on...as I was in the middle of a very dirty and messy nappy I couldnt get up off the floor to reach her and take it off her(not without leaving baby at the mercy of a very smelly opened nappy :( ) By the time I had finished changing the nappy she had done considerable damage to the wall (cream paint on plaster) my question is....is this general wear and tear or can I put it through my books as expenses and have it repaired...it will probably need replastered and repainted
Thanks xx

Ripeberry
06-06-2011, 08:59 PM
It's more than wear and tear, I'd put it down as expenses. Hope you told the parents about it, maybe they would like to contribute?

catlyn
06-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks xx
I did mention it to dad tonight and he just smiled and said "kids eh?" I didnt ask for a contribution :blush: I'm not that brave

auntym
06-06-2011, 09:04 PM
You could always ring HMRC and ask, but in all honesty i also think its more than wear and tear and would be inclined to put it through, im sure Debbie or mr a will pop along to give u correct information.

Rain or Shine
06-06-2011, 09:06 PM
One of my mindees rammed a ride on car into the radiator pipes and caused them to leak, the plumber wanted £30 just to look at it. I told the parent and she said "oh kids break everything". Luckily my oh managed to sort it, for now.

auntym
06-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Parents dont tend to want to contribute, when i had my first 7 seater, my mindee (age 4) turned his head to my passenger middle door and bit throught the (leatherish) covering and bit a chunk of foam out and at 4 they clearly know that this is not the right thing to do, told parents and i too got a "kids eh"

Pipsqueak
06-06-2011, 09:17 PM
no I am sorry i wouldn;t be waiting for them to contribute i would be TELLING them they are contributing. There is a cause for reasonable expectations of your house/home/property taking a battering but wilful large scale damage is not acceptable or expected.

School will ask parents to contribute to the costs of damaged items, therefore I will.

gigglinggoblin
06-06-2011, 09:26 PM
I dont really understand why people think parents should pay for damage done by their child while you are looking after them. When my son was little he scraped a big hole in my cms table with a pen, I offered to contribute and she said no, she was looking after him at the time so there was nothing I could have done to prevent it. Maybe if it was the first time you looked after the child and they had massive behaviour problems you werent warned about or if it was an ongoing problem you spoke to a parent about already but otherwise I wouldnt.

snufflepuff
06-06-2011, 09:28 PM
I'd like to say ask the parents for a contribution but I myself wouldn't have the balls to do it!
My mindee once rammed the handle end of a push along crocodile in to my kitchen floor and ripped several holes in the lino. The flooring was less than a year old! We are claiming on the insurance and will put the insurance excess through my books.

Pipsqueak
06-06-2011, 09:34 PM
I dont really understand why people think parents should pay for damage done by their child while you are looking after them. When my son was little he scraped a big hole in my cms table with a pen, I offered to contribute and she said no, she was looking after him at the time so there was nothing I could have done to prevent it. Maybe if it was the first time you looked after the child and they had massive behaviour problems you werent warned about or if it was an ongoing problem you spoke to a parent about already but otherwise I wouldnt.

There is wilful damage by children who are old enough to know better, have been repeatedly told and they still continue etc.
Accidental damage is different.

Despite this why heck should I allow my home to be trashed? My kids from a young age knew that sofas were not for bouncing on, walls were not for drawing on, that we don't gouge chunks out of the table. Like I say, there is a difference between wilful and accidental damage.

So, schools, because they are looking after the children should not ask parents to contribute to a deliberately smashed window/chair/door/ripped up book etc?

catlyn
06-06-2011, 09:46 PM
lots of interesting theories on here...thank you....I wonder if my insurance will cover it (never thought of that but i have accidental damage cover)

gigglinggoblin
06-06-2011, 09:46 PM
There is wilful damage by children who are old enough to know better, have been repeatedly told and they still continue etc.
Accidental damage is different.

Despite this why heck should I allow my home to be trashed? My kids from a young age knew that sofas were not for bouncing on, walls were not for drawing on, that we don't gouge chunks out of the table. Like I say, there is a difference between wilful and accidental damage.

So, schools, because they are looking after the children should not ask parents to contribute to a deliberately smashed window/chair/door/ripped up book etc?

Old enough to know better is kind of a point of view, while they know not to do some things they dont have the understanding or knowledge to back it up, if they did they could be left home alone and we wouldnt be needed!

You dont allow your home to be trashed because you look after the child, you have rules and behaviour management strategies in place. The parent has no control over the child because the parent isnt there. I would be genuinely interested to hear your arguments, this just seems logical to me.

If there are ongoing problems with the parent not backing you up over behaviour then I would agree with charging but every now and then all children push the boundaries ansd its our job to deal with that. When my son wrecked my cms table I felt horrible but after the event I thought if he could do that what else could he do? If a cm pushes for money out of a parent theres nothing to stop a parent accusing the cm of not supervising the child closely enough and if they can damage a wall or table they could do it to themselves or another child. Its potentially a very dodgy situation.

I have told my sons school I wouldnt be paying for damage, he is autistic and I made it clear that if they said they could cope with him then they were responsible for his behaviour, not me. If one of my other kids damaged something fair enough but they are genuinely old enough to know better and have the capacity to control themselves.

ajs
06-06-2011, 09:53 PM
When one of my.mindees kicked a football through the playroom window I asked mum.to pay which she did

rickysmiths
06-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Whe a 12yr old mindee willfully threw my sons £30 Dictionary, which he had had for 5 years (he was 11yr at the time) and kept it pristine because I taught my children to respect and look after books, on the floor and broke the spine I gave the parent a bill for the new one we bought my son. The child was made by the parent to pay for it out of pocket money. Too right otherwise they never learn boundries.

A 3yr old should respond to a 'please stop that'. Gosh I would be spitting if any child did something like that to my house :eek: I have been very fortuneate that they haven't. However I would pay for it on a Wear and Tear Basis this time. I would try and envolve the child in the nappy changing process next time, like holding the wet wipe packet for me, so they we occupied and right next to me.

mama2three
07-06-2011, 06:43 AM
A 'friend' once asked me for £300 for her car repairs - my ds ( was 4 ) ( who she was looking after , playdate) has scraped down the side of her car on his friends bike.
I paid of course - but must admit was rather miffed - she was looking after him and should have been watching where he was riding the blooming bike! I wasnt there , it wasnt his bike and felt that it wasnt actually my responsibilty!

Completely irrelevent little story but I thought Id share!!

Pipsqueak
07-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Old enough to know better is kind of a point of view, while they know not to do some things they dont have the understanding or knowledge to back it up, if they did they could be left home alone and we wouldnt be needed!

You dont allow your home to be trashed because you look after the child, you have rules and behaviour management strategies in place. The parent has no control over the child because the parent isnt there. I would be genuinely interested to hear your arguments, this just seems logical to me.

If there are ongoing problems with the parent not backing you up over behaviour then I would agree with charging but every now and then all children push the boundaries ansd its our job to deal with that. When my son wrecked my cms table I felt horrible but after the event I thought if he could do that what else could he do? If a cm pushes for money out of a parent theres nothing to stop a parent accusing the cm of not supervising the child closely enough and if they can damage a wall or table they could do it to themselves or another child. Its potentially a very dodgy situation.

I have told my sons school I wouldnt be paying for damage, he is autistic and I made it clear that if they said they could cope with him then they were responsible for his behaviour, not me. If one of my other kids damaged something fair enough but they are genuinely old enough to know better and have the capacity to control themselves.

Will come back to you on this... in a rush this morning (got dentist straight after school run urgghhh)

ziggy
07-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Cant count number of things i've had broken/damaged in the last 3 yrs since i started this job including fones, so many toys, toy boxes etc etc. Also had walls drawn on, sofa cushions ruined by child with v v runny nappy but to be honest i have never thought of asking parents to contribute to cost of replacing items or repainting!

All my mindees are under 5's and most damage has been caused by the 2 yr olds. I think that is just part of learning rules and I wouldnt hold a 2 yr old responsible or expect parents to pay...........just my opnion

catlyn
07-06-2011, 11:39 AM
thanks for all the replies folks...a mixed response then.....I was tempted to go with the wear and tear option at first....I wouldnt push parents for a contribution if they didnt offer...but i might try the insurance option with the excess going through my books....a good tip from ricky re the nappy changing...i will keep her close by me next time!!

catlyn
07-06-2011, 11:40 AM
A 'friend' once asked me for £300 for her car repairs - my ds ( was 4 ) ( who she was looking after , playdate) has scraped down the side of her car on his friends bike.
I paid of course - but must admit was rather miffed - she was looking after him and should have been watching where he was riding the blooming bike! I wasnt there , it wasnt his bike and felt that it wasnt actually my responsibilty!

Oh.,....and i wouldnt have paid this:eek: as you say...she was supposed to be watching him and it wasnt deliberate

BuggsieMoo
07-06-2011, 12:50 PM
I had a mindee (aged 5) purposely break a toy train making it unsafe for any other child to use. When his mum picked him up (I had noted it in his daily diary and gave mum heads up just to inform but not replace) he was rather proud of his achievement. Mum told him that he would be replacing it and nearly 10 months down the line, it has never materialised. I have not asked for a replacement as toys do and will get broken and inevitably some property damaged, I thought this is why we have 10% wear and tear and insurance?

If it was major damage and was done on purpose, by a child who should have known better then I think I would be inclined to ask for a contribution and even consider termination of contract.

Interesting one this.............

Pipsqueak
07-06-2011, 01:00 PM

Yes its a personal thing... when are children old enough to know better? I suppose you could then argue about the age and the law and so on..... Should a child at the age of 10 know its wrong to steal - do they have the knowledge and understanding to back it up?

Well as a parent - that is my job is INSTILL into my child - and the children I am looking after that they don't damage things, hurt animals or other people, steal and so. It should be enough when they are little to say 'no' to a child and that is that. Of course things are still going to get broken and damaged and the KEY here I believe it WILFUL and MALICIOUS damage... something that is not purely down to wear and tear or accident.

As the OP says... she was in the middle of a nappy - something she could't leave... she told the child no stop and the child didn't. Whilst the child is still young the child should have responded to no stop.

All my older children know that there is no football in the garden I don't want one of the smaller children hurt, I don't want my windows broken and I don't want my neighbours x 2 greenhouses broken... I have made it very clear to clients.. if children deliberately, wilfully and persistantly ignore the rules then any resulting damage caused will be billed to the parent.

You dont allow your home to be trashed because you look after the child, you have rules and behaviour management strategies in place.
Darned right

The parent has no control over the child because the parent isnt there. I would be genuinely interested to hear your arguments, this just seems logical to me.

No the parent is not there HOWEVER, if I have said to the parent I am having a battle with the child over certain behaviours and made it clear that they kept doing damage and so on, I would be expecting the parent to be working VERY HARD and closely with me on some behaviour managment strategies. I would and do make it very clear from the outset that I will not tolerate malicious, persistant or wilful damage and may pass on half the costs to the parents.
Of course there are circumstances to consider.

You could argue that when you let your child out playing...... you are not with them therefore not responsible for their behaviours..... which we all know is twaddle.
You could argue when they are at school we are not responsible for their behaviour because someone else is supposed to be responsible for them

No matter where my child is I am ultimately responsible for their behaviour ergo I instill in them from an early age we don't bounce on couches, we don't walk through the house with shoes.

C'mon we have ALL interviewed clients where their little darling whirlwinds through our house and empties all the toys and then tramples them with obvious delight. You know the sort... honest to goodness downright no respect for ANYTHING type children and the parents sit there weakly smiling beautfically and half laughing at their little angel.

If there are ongoing problems with the parent not backing you up over behaviour then I would agree with charging but every now and then all children push the boundaries ansd its our job to deal with that.
Couldn't agree more but its not part of my job nor part of my families remit to have their home trashed

When my son wrecked my cms table I felt horrible but after the event I thought if he could do that what else could he do?

sorry I would have given the minder half the money regardless of whether she refused or not.

If a cm pushes for money out of a parent theres nothing to stop a parent accusing the cm of not supervising the child closely enough and if they can damage a wall or table they could do it to themselves or another child. Its potentially a very dodgy situation.

They could TRY accusing but when you are up to your elbows in a poopy nappy and you have documented evidence that little Will is Demolition Expert Extraondinare........

This is a different kettle of fish.

So what about the child that deliberately and persistantly hurts one of your pets? Is that a matter of supervision and age of knowing better?

Pipsqueak
07-06-2011, 01:05 PM

Going to argue the point here.... car damage is a rather pricey thing. So if someone else - an adult tootling past on their bike with their little one and they scraped your car you would be 'oh never mind matey'

It is irrelevant who is looking after the child... if damage of that magnititude happens the DECENT thing (as you done) is to go halves.

Just because you are the 'carer' does not equate to you footing the bill for damage on a massive/expensive etc scale.

gigglinggoblin
07-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Hope the dentsit wasnt too bad, I have to go in a few weeks and it makes me feel slightly sick just to think about it!

I think we just draw the line in different places. If a child was constantly pushing the boundaries I would get the parent in for a chat and make it clear they needed to back up what I was doing or I would have to give notice. Yes I would warn them that I would be charging if their child was trashing my house but without that meeting I wouldnt feel it was right. I dont think that was the case here though was it if it has been well documented that these things keep happening then its quite different.

I totally agree that it is often the parents fault, the whirlwind is very familiar! But in that case I talk about behaviour management at the start. If they dont back me up thats what the notice period is for. However, children are very well able to adapt to one rule at cms house and another at home. I bet thats something else almost all of us have witnessed, the show down at home time when parent takes over and child refuses to do anything they ask. It should be up to parents to instill discipline in their children. But ultimately if we cant control them when they are here then thats down to our house rules.

If a child of mine went out and caused damage then I would be responsible because I decided my child was mature enough to go out alone. You dont have footballs because you consider them too much of a risk, perfectly acceptable. But if a friend thinks it ok to have footballs next to her green house and lets your kids play out there with them I dont agree thats your fault. I do think its fair that 10 is the age they take responsibility for themselves legally, I think most are ready before that. My 12 year old isnt. So he doesnt go out alone.

Tbh I would have left the nappy. If she was about to hurt herself it would have been possible I am guessing the nappy would have been abandoned, it just wouldnt be very nice to clean up but at least it wouldnt have cost anything. If I had paid for half the table it would have absolutely crippled me financially, I couldnt afford it. At that time if one of the kids had bashed a hole in my wall I couldnt have afforded to have it replastered either, it would have to be left which is another consideration.

Hurting one of my pets is similar to biting other children. Child is stuck to me like glue and if it doesnt stop then I would have to consider giving notice. Thing is they tend to learn pretty quick if you are consistent about it - I dont mean letting them hurt them then saying no but each time they put out a hand to grab reinforce that it has to be gentle and hovering all the time. Bit of a nightmare for a while but usually works, I dont think most kids do it for kicks so yes I would say its age and knowledge.

Chatterbox Childcare
07-06-2011, 03:17 PM
I would say repair and recoup the costs - I would also be telling the parents how much it is and that I won't be doing the same next time

Jods
07-06-2011, 03:33 PM
interesting reading mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!! can see it from both angles would a minimum amount on repairs in a policy be a suggestion, and that if dammage goes over that amount then you will be expecting the parents to cover the cost x

I mean what if a child dammages something exspensive like the PC, accidental or not, and you claim on your insurance would the parent then be liable for the excess ?

gigglinggoblin
07-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Just out of interest those who would charge do you have this written in your contracts? And if not what would you do if the parent refused to pay? Or if they refused and it was in your contract for that matter?

Pipsqueak
07-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Just out of interest those who would charge do you have this written in your contracts? And if not what would you do if the parent refused to pay? Or if they refused and it was in your contract for that matter?

Yep I have it in my contracts and P&P's and I explain fully at the outset. I also explain fully at the outset that whilst I expect a reasonable amount of wear and tear, I do not expect nor tolerate my house and property being demolished.

I agree its down to standards, expectations and rules. I enforce what probably seems rather harsh rules sometimes in my home.

Take for tonight... H my middle son age 10 - several (about 5) of his mates call round and they sit at the end of the road - about 2 houses up.
When I came out again they had all disappeared (this is fine with me). Anyway my neighbour where they were sitting started saying they have left a load of rubbish outside her gate (she was about to sweep it up) and they have pulled the wire and cable ties of her fence and she was about to remend. That to me is not acceptable (she assured me it wasn't H but one of his friends).

OK I am not responsible for ANY of apart from H.. so I rang him to see where they were... and marched round and made them ALL come back, pick up the rubbish and mend my neighbours fence (went and dug cable ties out of hubbies shed) and apologise (giving them all a talking too about respectful behaviour) So was I wrong? Should I have let it go or spoken to their parents?

Its a matter of proportion - I do everything you say about behaviour management strategies, working with parent etc etc , however I would still charge a parent for malicious/wilful damage and I as a parent would offer to reimburse someone for the damage my child done as a matter of malice/will/stupidity. Actually it would come out of their pocket (including the 6 yr old). I suppose its a matter of pride, the way I was bought up I guess. Again there is no take responsibility within society now... its always someone elses' problem.

I have, reimbursed school where my child has trashed a book - they didn't ask for it but I done it all the same.

You say it would have crippled you to reimburse your cm'r... well I wonder what it done to her finances. Thing is there are probably different circumstances and I am talking about extreme circumstances.

mama2three
07-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Going to argue the point here.... car damage is a rather pricey thing. So if someone else - an adult tootling past on their bike with their little one and they scraped your car you would be 'oh never mind matey'

It is irrelevant who is looking after the child... if damage of that magnititude happens the DECENT thing (as you done) is to go halves.

Just because you are the 'carer' does not equate to you footing the bill for damage on a massive/expensive etc scale.

If i was looking after a ( just) 4 year old and was daft enough to let them play on a bike round the front of my house and round my car - and they had a wobble and accidentely scratched it then it would be my own daft fault and I would cover the cost myself.
If an adult and child passing my house did it then it was their fault , not mine so I would ask for a contribution to the costs.
2 different issues imo.

funemnx
07-06-2011, 06:26 PM
I did ask (and received) money to repair my car that her lo had scratched with a stone. The mum had called to collect, we were standing at the front door and lo asked mum if she could throw a stone on the road. Mum said no, you might hit a car, to which she walked over to my car and scratched it with the stone!!! :eek:

What was mum's reaction? Come on M time to go - I don't think so, she had to pay several hundred pounds to have my car repaired. As I'd handed lo over to mum at the time of the incident, mum had 'control' of the child :rolleyes:

gigglinggoblin
08-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Yep I have it in my contracts and P&P's and I explain fully at the outset. I also explain fully at the outset that whilst I expect a reasonable amount of wear and tear, I do not expect nor tolerate my house and property being demolished.

Thats the difference, I dont so I have nothing to back it up. I dont plan to introduce it for little ones but would consider it for after schoolies if I ever take them on now you have mentioned it

I agree its down to standards, expectations and rules. I enforce what probably seems rather harsh rules sometimes in my home.

Take for tonight... H my middle son age 10 - several (about 5) of his mates call round and they sit at the end of the road - about 2 houses up.
When I came out again they had all disappeared (this is fine with me). Anyway my neighbour where they were sitting started saying they have left a load of rubbish outside her gate (she was about to sweep it up) and they have pulled the wire and cable ties of her fence and she was about to remend. That to me is not acceptable (she assured me it wasn't H but one of his friends).

OK I am not responsible for ANY of apart from H.. so I rang him to see where they were... and marched round and made them ALL come back, pick up the rubbish and mend my neighbours fence (went and dug cable ties out of hubbies shed) and apologise (giving them all a talking too about respectful behaviour) So was I wrong? Should I have let it go or spoken to their parents?

Absolutely right and I would have done the same. I would have spoken to the parents if they had refused to do it but I think its important for kids to see that parents arent the only ones who can get involved if they are not behaving properly, it probably did more good that you sorted it rather than a phone call home.

Its a matter of proportion - I do everything you say about behaviour management strategies, working with parent etc etc , however I would still charge a parent for malicious/wilful damage and I as a parent would offer to reimburse someone for the damage my child done as a matter of malice/will/stupidity. Actually it would come out of their pocket (including the 6 yr old).

I suppose its a matter of pride, the way I was bought up I guess. Again there is no take responsibility within society now... its always someone elses' problem.

I agree and I think thats really sad

I have, reimbursed school where my child has trashed a book - they didn't ask for it but I done it all the same.

I would also, with my older son the issue I was concerned about was broken windows, chairs, etc which could potentially be very expensive. As he had history of this sort of behaviour I wanted school to acknowledge it more than anything else rather than just say everything woul dbe fine when I knew it probably wouldnt! (been to a few schools so its a problem I have come across before). If my other kids damaged a book accidentally I would replace it and would probably make them contribute out of their pocket money so they could see there are consequences to careless behaviour

You say it would have crippled you to reimburse your cm'r... well I wonder what it done to her finances. Thing is there are probably different circumstances and I am talking about extreme circumstances.

I do understand that but she was the one who left out the pen and didnt notice he had picked it up. He was under 2 at the time and made a big mess so it must have taken him time. I do still think she was a fab cm, its just these things do happen and when you are dealing with teeny kids you have to have eyes in the back of your head!It wasnt my fault she wasnt watching him, or that the pen was left where he could get it.

I think the main thing we disagree about is the age of the child making a difference and whether part of the fault lies with the supervising adult

gigglinggoblin
08-06-2011, 10:05 AM
I did ask (and received) money to repair my car that her lo had scratched with a stone. The mum had called to collect, we were standing at the front door and lo asked mum if she could throw a stone on the road. Mum said no, you might hit a car, to which she walked over to my car and scratched it with the stone!!! :eek:

What was mum's reaction? Come on M time to go - I don't think so, she had to pay several hundred pounds to have my car repaired. As I'd handed lo over to mum at the time of the incident, mum had 'control' of the child :rolleyes:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I would have charged her for the repair in those circumstances! Unbelievable!

mrs coops
08-06-2011, 10:27 AM

Its a matter of proportion - I do everything you say about behaviour management strategies, working with parent etc etc , however I would still charge a parent for malicious/wilful damage and I as a parent would offer to reimburse someone for the damage my child done as a matter of malice/will/stupidity. Actually it would come out of their pocket (including the 6 yr old). I suppose its a matter of pride, the way I was bought up I guess. Again there is no take responsibility within society now... its always someone elses' problem.

I completley agree with with pip Children should learn to respect others property and rules

catlyn
08-06-2011, 01:15 PM
LOL.....I seem to have opened a good debate here...lots of interesting points and comments....
gigglingoblin...with hindsight maybe i should have left the nappy and gone to stop her but then i would probably have ended up with a carpet cleaning bill..:eek: :D
samhunt...adding something to my policies is certainly something i am going to do now....and I will put something in my next newsletter about damage over and above reasonable wear and tear will be charged to parents ( if its wilful and deliberate)
I'm gonna chalk this one up to experience but if there is a "next time" parents will be sharing the costs
Thanks for all the input x

Curvylou
01-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Hiya

Those of you that have it written in your P&P's/contracts what wording did you use?

Thanks