PDA

View Full Version : EYFS

caz
30-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Hi I was just talking to a childminding friend of mine and she was saying that one of the mums was saying she dosn't want her to be doing observations and planning when she should be concentrating on taking her child to mums and toddlers and playing with her instead as my friend has only got one child under 5 and the rest are a lot older she wants to know if she gets the parents permission to not do eyfs would this be allowed or is she still required by law even when the parent dosnt want her to. Sorry to babble on has anyone got any advise I can give her as i'm not registerd yet and don't have a clue.
Thanks
Caron

Tatia
30-04-2008, 01:08 PM
This makes me wonder if the minder was complaining to Mum about EYFS and all the extra work? Cos my parents all go "EY-huh?". Except for one, who works in a playgroup and so is learning to apply it to her own key children!:D

I'm inclined to think parental permission will NOT exempt us from EYFS and I don't really think it should anyway. Then again, OFSTED has been known to surprise us!:rolleyes: I think the childminder needs to be more positve about what she is doing with the mother and show her the benefits, such as the lovely learning story she'll have of her child and how the minder will better be able tp provide for her child's needs with regular,written obs and planning.

It's not much more than we do now. It's just being written down.

Pipsqueak
30-04-2008, 01:17 PM
No - parental permission will not exempt you from it.

You would have to find a way round it in more general terms without identifying the child in any way.

Minders ought to be explaining to parents that we will not be stopping what we are already doing - just doing a bit of paperwork (mostly in our own time) to back up what we are already doing.

Think Tatia is right - perhaps this minder was being v negative about it....????

sarah707
30-04-2008, 01:24 PM
It's important we remember we do not have a choice!! It is the law!

I agree it's how we sell it to parents... we need to say that it's brill and their children will really benefit from it...

I've started feeding my lot a few bits and pieces already so when it starts they will be fully informed. :D

caz
30-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the info, I showed my friend the site and she said that she will explain to her parent that she already does birth to three and the child dosn't miss out, like everyone says it's how you explain it to the parents. I suppose i'm in a good place at the moment as when I finally get my certificate through more parents will be informed about the new changes I'm actually looking forward to attending a eyfs course to get as much info as possible, anyway thanks again.
X Caron:)