PDA

View Full Version : text received this morning

julie w
06-06-2011, 12:52 PM
I received a text from a mum this morning that went like this: mum'' just to let you know I've got to work late tomorrow so I can't collect children til half 6'' (I only work until 6). Me'' I'm really sorry but I'm running Race for life tomorrow night and I cant have them any later than usual''. Mum'' Well I'm sorry too, but I've got to work and there's no one else to have them''. :( What am I supposed to say to that..gobsmacked. If she'd actually asked in the first place, it might have been nice.

caz3007
06-06-2011, 01:00 PM
I would like to say in your shoes

Well its not my problem, I dont work after 6 and its not convenient anyway

But would probably say

ok

and resent it hugely

q:laughing: :laughing:

georgie456
06-06-2011, 01:03 PM
WHAT?!?!? That is outrageous!!!!
You are busy and it's not your responsibility to act as an after hours babysitter when she demands it.
I'm not sure of what you CAN say - she seems determined that you doing it - the problem is, she has you in a difficult positionand she knows it - whether you are prepared to do it or not, she knows full well that if she just doesn't turn up, you're not going to turf her child out and go are you? Grrrr this makes me SO mad!!!!
I would suggest you send a quick text back saying you will discuss this properly with her later.

caz3007
06-06-2011, 01:10 PM
WHAT?!?!? That is outrageous!!!!
You are busy and it's not your responsibility to act as an after hours babysitter when she demands it.
I'm not sure of what you CAN say - she seems determined that you doing it - the problem is, she has you in a difficult positionand she knows it - whether you are prepared to do it or not, she knows full well that if she just doesn't turn up, you're not going to turf her child out and go are you? Grrrr this makes me SO mad!!!!
I would suggest you send a quick text back saying you will discuss this properly with her later.

I agree, she has no intention of turning up until 6.30 and what can you do, you cant leave the children on the doorstep, but it would really make me wonder if I could continue working with this parent.

I got treated really badly by a parent who I had worked with for 4 years and our relationship hasnt been the same since, luckily the boys are older now and leaving at the end of term.

ORKSIE
06-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Tell her your contract states that you do not look after LO after 6 o clock.....therefore your not insured to do so:rolleyes:

Unless she wants to change said contract but that will not come into affect for 4 weeks :D

Alibali
06-06-2011, 01:11 PM
I would like to say in your shoes

Well its not my problem, I dont work after 6 and its not convenient anyway

But would probably say

ok

and resent it hugely

q:laughing: :laughing:

This is exactly what i'd do too:blush: :blush:

But seriously, why is her work more important than yours?:angry:

marnieb
06-06-2011, 01:12 PM
text back saying as it's emergency childcare/non-working hours, you'll charge her £15 for the extra half hour!!! Wouldn't be surprised if she managed to get there on time then!!!! :laughing:

sue m
06-06-2011, 01:14 PM
[QUOTE=georgie456;934637]WHAT?!?!? That is outrageous!!!!
I would suggest you send a quick text back saying you will discuss this properly with her later.[/QUOTE

Absolutely agree, if she doesn't turn up, what are you supposed to do. What a :angry: cheek! Good luck. x

The Juggler
06-06-2011, 01:15 PM
I received a text from a mum this morning that went like this: mum'' just to let you know I've got to work late tomorrow so I can't collect children til half 6'' (I only work until 6). Me'' I'm really sorry but I'm running Race for life tomorrow night and I cant have them any later than usual''. Mum'' Well I'm sorry too, but I've got to work and there's no one else to have them''. :( What am I supposed to say to that..gobsmacked. If she'd actually asked in the first place, it might have been nice.

:eek: :eek:

YOU: well I'm very sorry but I am registered to run a race to raise money for a cancer charity and people have sponsored me to do so. You will need to make arrangements for someone to collect at 6pm as usual. I don't want to seem inflexible and I am usually more than happy to work later than usual where I can accommodate this, but I will only be able to do so if I am not already busy. It would be easier therefore if you checked with me if I can do the extra time you need before you commit to work late or make other plans.

Thank you

;)

caz3007
text back saying as it's emergency childcare/non-working hours, you'll charge her £15 for the extra half hour!!! Wouldn't be surprised if she managed to get there on time then!!!! :laughing:

I like your thinking.

Actually do you have a late collection policy, say collection time is 6 and you will be implementing your late collection fees from that time.

georgie456

Oooh good idea!!!! I vote for doing that!!!

Pipsqueak
06-06-2011, 01:26 PM
:eek: :eek:

YOU: well I'm very sorry but I am registered to run a race to raise money for a cancer charity and people have sponsored me to do so. You will need to make arrangements for someone to collect at 6pm as usual. I don't want to seem inflexible and I am usually more than happy to work later than usual where I can accommodate this, but I will only be able to do so if I am not already busy. It would be easier therefore if you checked with me if I can do the extra time you need before you commit to work late or make other plans.

Thank you

;)

Like^^^^^^
totally agree with this and i think at some point you may have to explain to her that you are not at her beck and call and that you do not respond well to demands.

Cheeky moobag

Helen Dempster
06-06-2011, 01:26 PM
I think that I would tell her that if you hadn't had prior commitments that you can't get out of, then you would have done it. However you DO have prior commitments so therefore you can't do it and she'll have to arrange for someone else to collect them at normal time...else leave them with your hubby/partner/suitable adult?

Hebs
06-06-2011, 01:42 PM
I would take them to her place of work if she didnt collect and would be telling her so,
or telling her you will be contacting her emergency contact (as thats what they are for) and if you cant get an answer calling SS :thumbsup:

or ringing in sick tomorrow :laughing:

mumto3
06-06-2011, 01:50 PM

good plan, if u can stay late i would say this

but if u cant do the extra half hr then i agree with this, from juggler:

Thank you

or as hebs said threaten that u will contact emergency contact and then social services

auntym
06-06-2011, 01:54 PM
I agree with reply from juggler. Tel her its also cost you thirty odd quid to enter the race as well as sponsors. And if she.should deliberatley be late then you shall be implementing large charges. I think sometimes parents think we have no life out side minding.

rickysmiths
06-06-2011, 01:55 PM
I would take them to her place of work if she didnt collect and would be telling her so,
or telling her you will be contacting her emergency contact (as thats what they are for) and if you cant get an answer calling SS :thumbsup:

or ringing in sick tomorrow :laughing:

I was just going to say that!!

I would tell her that you cannot work late because you have a prior commitment.

If she is adament that she will not come the normal time or make alternative arrangements.Tell her you will Have no option but to drop lo to her at work. Make it clear that this will be earlier than normal pick up because you will have to get back home by normal pick up time in order to get to you commitment (and for oter parents to collect? so maybe even earlier?).

If this is not practical then phone one of the emergeny contacts now and make alternative arrangements in advance and have it in writing for mum tomorrow morning..

Chimps Childminding
06-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Tell her thats fine, but it will cost her all the money you have been sponsored for Running the Race for Life, as you will be letting people down!!! :D

ajs
06-06-2011, 02:15 PM
that is outrageous but I am afraid i would just have to say no sorry. I am busy i cannot work later then agreed.

Flisspaps
06-06-2011, 02:59 PM
I would say no, and then tell her that non-agreed late collections are charged at £5 per 15 minutes as per my policy and that if she is not on time, I will drop the children off at her place of work. She will be charged at the late collection rate from 6pm until the children are safely deposited at her place of work once you have established she is in the building.

I might also point out that I am not her employee, and that if she needs someone who can offer the service she is looking for here, she needs a nanny not a childminder.

If she's going to be a PITA, I'd be happy to risk losing her.

AliceK
06-06-2011, 03:23 PM
I would say no, and then tell her that non-agreed late collections are charged at £5 per 15 minutes as per my policy and that if she is not on time, I will drop the children off at her place of work. She will be charged at the late collection rate from 6pm until the children are safely deposited at her place of work once you have established she is in the building.

I might also point out that I am not her employee, and that if she needs someone who can offer the service she is looking for here, she needs a nanny not a childminder.

If she's going to be a PITA, I'd be happy to risk losing her.

Me too:angry:
It does sound like she just wont turn up till 6.30 so I would advise her she needs to arrange for someone else to collect the children and if she can't do that then you will arrange for her children to be dropped off at her work place by 6pm.

What a cheek :censored:

xxx

Toothfairy
06-06-2011, 03:30 PM
I agree - I would be dropping them off at Mum's work.

Tell her that being late is not an option and that you will drop the children off to her early! :angry:

the happy house
06-06-2011, 03:37 PM
OMG! What a :censored: cheek!
How dare she expect you to change plans to accommodate her needs?!

I would make it absolutely clear that you are unable to care for the child after 6pm... put it in writing too. Even though you know full well she still won't turn up until 6.30, still make sure she's aware of your refusal.
When she does turn up late, make sure all late fees/anti social hours fees etc are applied.
At 1 minute past 6 phone her work, explain your are her childminder and had been expecting her at 6... and you're wanting to make sure nothing's happened to her as she hasn't arrived to collect her child ;) .

Best of luck!

kells_bells
06-06-2011, 04:23 PM
I forgot our job description entails doormat!

I'd be telling her if she's late she can start looking elsewhere as her lack of respect and consideration for you and your family life has left you no alternative but to give notice.

What a B!!

Lou
06-06-2011, 04:49 PM
This is an outrage!

I hope you have had serious words with her and told her there is no way on earth you will be dictated to in this manner!!!!

Let us know whats happened......

wendywu
06-06-2011, 04:59 PM
I would tell her that you will be dropping them at 5.30 to be home and child free by 6.

Tell her that if she wants to ruin a perfectly good working relationship over 30 min then go ahead :angry:

auntym
06-06-2011, 04:59 PM
how did you go on

onceinabluemoon
06-06-2011, 05:01 PM

I cannot believe anybody could be so darned rude!!! Maybe she needs to be reminded whose children they are!!!

I hope you manage to get this sorted, some great advice already so nothing to add but give you moral support and tell you to sock it to them!!. x

georgie456
06-06-2011, 06:55 PM
how did you go on

Yes, how did it go?

mushpea
06-06-2011, 07:16 PM
I would either charge a highter rate for the last halfhour or take the kids on the race for life with you,,, tell her if she cant be there on time then the children will come with you and she will have to find you or drop them at her place of work.

probably to late now though, how did it go?

auntym
06-06-2011, 07:17 PM
haha yes u can take kids lol - tell her she will have to chase u round and u will be charging extra time ;)

singingcactus
06-06-2011, 08:21 PM
I would be telling her since she clearly had no intention of collecting the children at the contracted time then I would be unwilling to provide care on that day at all as I would be unwilling to risk her simply not picking them up.
She has written in text that she intends to break the contact agreement and has no care at all for your needs or opinions so you are under no obligation to provide that care.

poppinschildcar
06-06-2011, 08:29 PM

I thought only nannies got spoken to like that, but as we are employed by the family and our one job is our only income we tend to put up with it. I am a childminder now, I would not put up with being spoken to like that again. Poor you, some people are so ungrateful.

julie w
06-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks for your messages. I'll tell you tomorrow how it went.xx

miffy
06-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Good luck - I can't believe the cheek of the woman!

Miffy xx

JennyM
06-06-2011, 08:46 PM
How rude! I have only had two clients so far and the second one has been awful. I can't believe how they thing they can treat us!

Good Luck!

newandlearning
07-06-2011, 12:25 PM
hi Julie..

I hope you managed to get things sorted and can go on the race for life..

good luck with race and let us know how you got on..

xx:)

georgie456
07-06-2011, 08:15 PM
So.....did she collect on time?!?! I'm itching to know!
Hope the race went well x

onceinabluemoon
07-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Arrgg I have to go to bed now so I'm gonna miss your update!

Hope the race went well and the mother was good and picked up her child on time x

zippy
07-06-2011, 08:25 PM
I'd send her the telephone number of a local babysitter lol what a nightmare

~Chelle~
07-06-2011, 08:32 PM
How did you get on??

Hope you managed to do the Race for Life x

miffy
07-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Oh we're all waiting to hear how you got on - in the race for life AND with the inconsiderate parent!

Miffy xx

Toothfairy
08-06-2011, 06:48 AM
Any news yet?

Carol M
08-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Do let us know how you got on .
Carol xx

jelly15
09-06-2011, 08:40 PM
What happened, any news?

The Juggler
09-06-2011, 08:50 PM
oh no! i can't stand suspense. we NEED to know what happened. did you give her what for????

Probey9
09-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Spent ages reading all the posts, got to the end and really itching to find out the outcome, what happened?

Susana0600
09-06-2011, 10:07 PM

Exactly this is a very good idea, :laughing: :laughing:

wendywu
09-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Perhaps she still has the children there now :panic: :mad:

Jiorjiina
09-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Maybe she's still doing the race?

To catch up after having to work late! ;)

Mookins
10-06-2011, 06:11 AM
pleeeeeeaaaaaaassssssse tell us xx

angeldelight
10-06-2011, 06:20 AM
What was the out come in the end ?

Hope you are ok Julie

Angel xx

crazyXstitcher
10-06-2011, 01:45 PM
I saw you managed to do the race, so how did it go with the mum?
<nosey emoticon>

Mouse
10-06-2011, 01:50 PM
I think there should be new forum rule that if you post something that leaves us all on tenterhooks, you have to come back within 24 hours to post an update :laughing:

~Chelle~
10-06-2011, 01:58 PM
I think there should be new forum rule that if you post something that leaves us all on tenterhooks, you have to come back within 24 hours to post an update :laughing:

Great idea :D

ChocolateChip
10-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Julie, pleeeeeeease tell us what happened!!!

miffy
10-06-2011, 07:09 PM

That's a very good idea!

Miffy xx

SYLVIA
10-06-2011, 07:13 PM
I keep checking this thread hoping for the end of the story. Is there anybody who knows her personally to check shes ok. I'm hoping she got the better of the mum involved!

Blaze
10-06-2011, 07:45 PM
This is driving me NUTS!:rolleyes: :laughing:

Playmate
10-06-2011, 08:02 PM
missed this originally, but like everyone else Inowwant to know the outcome :panic:

wendywu
10-06-2011, 08:15 PM
For goodness sake, does anyone live near her. Just go and knock on her door will you.

PLEASE !!!!!!!:laughing:

janminder
10-06-2011, 08:41 PM
I have logged in so many times just to find out what happened - hope you are ok

Will be trying again in a couple of hours.

Julia
11-06-2011, 10:24 AM
What a complete cow :angry:

Do they not think we have our own lives

The Juggler
11-06-2011, 10:35 AM
What a complete cow :angry:

Do they not think we have our own lives

lol at first I thought you meant the OP because she hadn't let us know what was happening!:laughing: :laughing:

pLEEEEEASE let us know what happened.

kel1983
11-06-2011, 10:47 AM
lol at first I thought you meant the OP because she hadn't let us know what was happening!:laughing: :laughing:

hahaha. Thats what I thought too

mumto3
11-06-2011, 10:50 AM

Haha i thought that too

FussyElmo
11-06-2011, 10:56 AM
I have sent her a message on fb asking her to come and update you lot :laughing:

The Juggler
11-06-2011, 11:10 AM
I have sent her a message on fb asking her to come and update you lot :laughing:

how sad/nosey are us lot :laughing: :laughing:

Bushpig
11-06-2011, 11:21 AM
For goodness sake, does anyone live near her. Just go and knock on her door will you.

PLEASE !!!!!!!:laughing:

Keen to know too!!

julie w
11-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Hi it's me. Sorry for not replying, for some reason I havent been able to get on here, then I can! The mystery of the pc. Any way thank you all so much for caring, Mum came at 5 o'clock and picked him up, which is extra early. Didn't speak to me at all. Next morning, right as rain as if nothing had ever happened. Some people are so strange. Us lot must be the only normal people on this planet ha ha . So no great drama after all, but she never said she'd come at 5 oclock, just had me waiting in my running gear with fingers crossed. It is time for a contract renewal anyway, so things WILL be pointed out and stressed to mum. I love her little boy so much and wouldnt want to lose him. Once again, thanks girls.xxxxand thanks Tina for contacting me on facebook.:thumbsup:

WibbleWobble
11-06-2011, 05:13 PM
thank goodness for that...

actually thats a thankgoodness for you getting back to us....there have been some very very excited folk here !!!:laughing: :laughing:

mandy xx

Jods
11-06-2011, 05:49 PM
resisted the urge to beg for what happened, but I now feel strangely complete x

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!! she sighs x

The Juggler
11-06-2011, 05:51 PM
glad all worked out hon. I think she has seen she won't get away with this behaviour again.

hope so x

Mookins
11-06-2011, 05:59 PM
nowt as strange as folk:rolleyes:

glad it was ok though

xx

wendywu
11-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Oh thats so boring Julie, i wanted her to be clutching onto your legs and sobbing as you dragged her round the race course. :laughing: But then i love a bit of drama :rolleyes:

No really, im glad it was all OK in the end :thumbsup:

carol cameron
12-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Glad it went well and congratulations on doing the race.
:)

~Chelle~
12-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Oh thats so boring Julie, i wanted her to be clutching onto your legs and sobbing as you dragged her round the race course. :laughing: But then i love a bit of drama :rolleyes:

No really, im glad it was all OK in the end :thumbsup:

Still have this image in my head lol

Glad things worked out for you Julie and glad you managed to do the Race For Life, well done hun xxx