PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

gemmcd
30-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Hi - jsut a Q as I am now in a new situation! My now nearly 13mth old has amazingly started taking his naps in a travel cot which is in my sons bedroom upstairs. It took me a few days to master but he goes down in a few minutes now. I have a baby monitor set up.

To get to the room you need to go up 2 flights of stairs as live in a large victorian house so it seems a long way and a bit longer time wise. What should I do with my own son and other mindee while I am gone for say 5 mins - if I took them with me then baby would not sleep - they are very noisy and my sons room has too many things to appeal! I do not wnat them going in any other rooms as they belong to my older children but am I being 'neglectful' if I leave them (they are aged nearly 2 and 2 and 9 mths) What do others do when they need to settle a baby to sleep but have toddlers? Just wondered especially with an OFsted due in next few months! This is when I need an assistant!

Gemma

Alibali
30-04-2008, 12:57 PM
I know up here in Scotland there are new fire regulations coming into place about having smoke detectors in rooms where children sleep. With regards to toddlers, you know them best and as long as you risk assess the situation and be able to answer clearly on how you ensure safety it is ok to take your eyes off them for a very short while. Could the baby not sleep in travel cot downstairs? That's what mine do, and they very quickly get used to sleeping through the noise.

Good luck.

Ali x

sarah707
30-04-2008, 01:02 PM
You need to risk assess to be sure in your own mind that the ones downstairs are safe while you are up there... what if one hit the other? What if one slipped? etc... Are they in your hearing all the way upstairs?

If they are not in sight or hearing or if there are too many risks, then you either have to take them with you or bring the travel cot down.

Hope this helps :D

buildingblocks
30-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Have Ofsted okayed you using the rooms and the second floor. If they registered you for them then you just need to risk assess the situation. I know a friend of mine is not allowed to use her second floor but think it might be a loft conversion and therefore slightly different.

angeldelight
01-05-2008, 06:47 AM
Maybe you could move the cot downstairs to be safe ?

Angel xx