PDA

View Full Version : Observation that covers more than one area of learning?

lau
05-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Hi, I think I have finally found a way which I find workable for my observations and planning. (Mostly thanks to everyone here!)

I have just been catching up on my observations for last month and have a few that cover more than one area of learning. I was just wondering what everyone does for this?

At the moment I have a ring binder for each child which is divided into the 6 areas of learning. I have my observation sheets with a picture attached and file it in the area of learning but I have a few which cover more than one and I have photocopied the observation sheet and then put it in the sections that apply with a note on saying 'pic in CLL' etc. Is this right or just duplication?

argh!

Mouse
05-06-2011, 09:51 AM
I find that all observations cover more than one are of learning, so I don't separate them out into sections. As you've found, that just leads to too much dupliction.

I do my observations in date order, so you can see how the child is progressing. I do an obs, stick in a photo and write a bit about it. I then say which areas of learning it covers and what next steps might be. I then use the next steps for individual planning. After a while you can see which areas of learning are being covered more than others, so I will also plan to include activities that cover those areas.

sarah707
05-06-2011, 10:16 AM
I file everything by month so you can clearly see how a child is learning and developing over time.

:D

lau
05-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks, that makes much more sense and will save on paper, time and ink! Think I will rejig my files

I will get there eventually!

:laughing: