PDA

View Full Version : those that dont do themes

mushpea
05-06-2011, 08:46 AM
at the moment i have a plan each week with somthing written on each day for what we will do based around a theme, but i want to get away from themes and do what ever the children want to do that day which obviously means some very loose planning , is it ok to put on my plan the following
mon-
tue-toddler group
wed-zoo
thur-
fri-
then I would write on the plan what child led activites there were for that day, so basicly its less planning on my side and more doing what the children want to do, do you think this is ok for ofsted?

sarah707
05-06-2011, 09:01 AM
My inspector was happy that I have themed activities for the children to join in with group things.

However she was most interested in my individual planning and how I follow on from next steps.

Having said that, the 2 children here on the day were under 3... she grew more interested in group planning when the older ones came home.

I am sure it will be fine to follow interests but you do need to think about how you will extend the children's understanding of the world around us - growing, planting, festivals, celebrations etc if you do not have some kind of group planning in the background.

Hth :D

bandlady
05-06-2011, 09:11 AM
This is exactly what Ofsted are looking for. I have a weekly plan of everyday activities such as school and preschool runs and groups that we attend and the only other planning is a yearly sheet and beside each month I note any celebrations, birthdays and special days and added to this a general theme to follow.

Hopefuly I have managed to attach the document that I work from I more than likely got it from this site in the first place. I find it easy to work from and use it as a guide to use if we are looking for ideas for something to do.

I have recently had an inspection and my inspector thought that this was more than adequate and insured that i had plently of scope to follow child led interests and activities.

hth

Denise

blue bear
05-06-2011, 11:56 AM
I work like band lady, I have a yearly theme/ plan but run weekly from individual plans ( write a summary for each child termly) building on what theycan do with what interests them throwing in seasonal interests as we go.

Older children introduce themes (can we go on a bus lead to a term of transport topics) also school and preschool themes transfer here

I really struggled with running a theme because I let the children take the lead on planning and interests so individual planning works best for me

Chimps Childminding
05-06-2011, 03:38 PM
I have themes that I follow. But I am really struggling with planning around the individual child's interests when they are all into something different. How does everyone involve all the children. For example I have one mindee (aged 4) who only wants to run around, shooting (with whatever he has in his hand, banana, finger, anything :panic: ) at home he is into ben 10, action man etc. or kick a ball about. He isn't interested in anything craftwise, puzzles etc. On the same day I have an 18 month old girl who only seems interested in emptying every toy box, but not actually playing with anything. How do you do individual planning for these? HELP PLEASE :(

Jiorjiina
05-06-2011, 04:18 PM
For example I have one mindee (aged 4) who only wants to run around, shooting (with whatever he has in his hand, banana, finger, anything :panic: ) at home he is into ben 10, action man etc. or kick a ball about. He isn't interested in anything craftwise, puzzles etc.

Do some Ben 10 based crafts with him:

Cards (http://www.crafts-beautiful.com/index.php/project/ben_10_holiday_makes/)
Omnitrix (http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Ben-10-Omnitrix)

Or, do a combination and let him make his own 'weapon'. Controversial, I know, but it might get him interested in making things.

On the same day I have an 18 month old girl who only seems interested in emptying every toy box, but not actually playing with anything. How do you do individual planning for these? HELP PLEASE :(

Get different types of box for her to empty? Perhaps it is the empty boxes she is actually interested in, rather than the toys, so many empty boxes for her to explore?