PDA

View Full Version : Still owed money

twinkle3005
30-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi All

Bit of a long one but really need advice. Last September one of my mindee's parents was sacked from her job so obviously she stopped childcare. She didn't give me 4 weeks notice but agreed to pay for the notice period. This was £720 as her little one stayed overnight as well as days. I was paid £500from her last payment from the Tax Credits office and we agreed that she could pay me £20 per week for the rest. I haven't received any payments until the last 3 months where she has paid me £65. She was declared bankrupt in Dec 07. I've contacted her to see if she can pay me before the middle of May as I have my tax return to complete and she's said she can't afford the £155 still outstanding. What do I do? I've been more than patient and given her plenty of time (8 mths) to pay this. Any advice would be much appreciated. I will get in touch with NCMA for legal advice but don't really want to take legal action against her. Thanks

Blaze
30-04-2008, 10:43 AM
As far as i'm aware there is nothing you can do if she's been declared bancrupt...apart from get payed in advance in future...sorry not much help!:blush: Think your best bet is to ring NCMA legal line & see what they say!

angeldelight
30-04-2008, 12:38 PM
I agree with Blaze

In future make sure you receive all payments in advance

Angel xx

Alibali
30-04-2008, 12:51 PM
I know it's frustrating, but I'd let it lie and be grateful that you got most of the money. Poor parent has been through enough.

Ali xx

Pudding Girl
30-04-2008, 01:01 PM
If she was made bankrupt then you would have to let someone know you are a creditor of hers- not sure who or where though!! maybe google or phone up for legal advice.

sarah707
30-04-2008, 01:04 PM
I know it's frustrating, but I'd let it lie and be grateful that you got most of the money. Poor parent has been through enough.

Ali xx

I agree with Ali. Plus I think you've probably been through enough too and could do with drawing a line under the whole thing and moving on. Sorry! xx

disney
30-04-2008, 01:05 PM
im sorry you didnt get all the money owed ,but hey at least you did get some . and to be honest im also feeling a bit sorry for the parent for losing their job . i think taking legal action would be awful as im sure she probably owes to other people as well & is worried .in my time i have had parents that have not payed me but not because they couldnt afford it they just refused .

but in future like angel has said & i do this now as well payments are all made in advance x :)

cloud9
30-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi All

Bit of a long one but really need advice. Last September one of my mindee's parents was sacked from her job so obviously she stopped childcare. She didn't give me 4 weeks notice but agreed to pay for the notice period. This was £720 as her little one stayed overnight as well as days. I was paid £500from her last payment from the Tax Credits office and we agreed that she could pay me £20 per week for the rest. I haven't received any payments until the last 3 months where she has paid me £65. She was declared bankrupt in Dec 07. I've contacted her to see if she can pay me before the middle of May as I have my tax return to complete and she's said she can't afford the £155 still outstanding. What do I do? I've been more than patient and given her plenty of time (8 mths) to pay this. Any advice would be much appreciated. I will get in touch with NCMA for legal advice but don't really want to take legal action against her. Thanks

Twinkle i really do feel for you after going through a situation like this myself recently. The only thing i can say about the ncma legal line which i found out recently was the solicitors weigh up the chances of recovering your loses before they go ahead with any claim and as she's bankrupt i cant imagine they will be able to do much. After all even if you go to court and win she's bankrupt so there is no way of collecting the debt.
But surely as someone mentioned above there must be a way of making yourself known as being owed to someone so when all her debts are sorted you may get some. But good luck with it all

brillminder
06-05-2008, 04:49 PM
i always get £ up front on 1/2nd day week no later no cash no child :) good luck

miffy
06-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Did you decide what to do Twinkle?

Hope you got something sorted out

miffy xx

mrsb
06-05-2008, 06:05 PM
I agree with Ali. Plus I think you've probably been through enough too and could do with drawing a line under the whole thing and moving on. Sorry! xx
Yes I agree with this too :)

angeldelight
07-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Did you get the rest of your money?

Angel xx

twinkle3005
07-05-2008, 01:23 PM
I contacted the Mum who got really stroppy with me and had the cheek to say because my hubby and me work it's nothing to us. Like I do 2 jobs for fun. I've agreed for her to pay £5 per week but when that will start I don't know as she's not been in touch again. Oh well live and learn eh! I think I might get a months fee's or a deposit up front for new starters which will cover notice period and I won't have this again. Thanks for all replies. xx

mum22
07-05-2008, 01:28 PM
I know its a hard lesson to learn but money upfront has to be the way forward - i had a similar situation but not as much money.

Hope she does pay but if she doesnt - draw a line - chin up and move on and i am sure you;ll feel better.

x helen

angeldelight
07-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Yes I agree hope you do get paid but if not then you wont be the only one most of us have been in this sort of situation in the past but you do learn

I always have a mths deposit up front none refundable if they change their mind

I always get paid weekly or monthly in advance

Good luck with this

Angel xx