PDA

View Full Version : did i do something wrong?

munch149
04-06-2011, 04:21 PM
do you think ive done something wrong? mum was only on thursday discussing having her two boys after school as well as in the school holidays. then today i got a brief message, saying that they no longer required a childminder. no explanation. I have also thought that I actually have nothing in place to cover myself for this, as my notice is two weeks but as no school holidays are coming up, the two weeks notice will be unworked and she will get her full deposit back. Thus meaning, unaware to me, I have worked this week for free (sort of). Do you think i upset her, although cant think how. and how do other people cover themselves for this happening

Mookins
04-06-2011, 04:28 PM
i thought the a deposit was non refundable... you paya deposit, if you decide against it then tough you lose your deposit, if she paid deposit for a holiday then didnt go she wouldnt gether money back!!!

it would be different if you had canceled then by al means hand the deposit back

dont cut yaself short hun

xxx

Hebs
04-06-2011, 04:42 PM
do you think ive done something wrong? mum was only on thursday discussing having her two boys after school as well as in the school holidays. then today i got a brief message, saying that they no longer required a childminder. no explanation. I have also thought that I actually have nothing in place to cover myself for this, as my notice is two weeks but as no school holidays are coming up, the two weeks notice will be unworked and she will get her full deposit back. Thus meaning, unaware to me, I have worked this week for free (sort of). Do you think i upset her, although cant think how. and how do other people cover themselves for this happening

2 weeks notice is 2 weeks PAID notice............. so yes notice still has to be paid so no refund

munch149
04-06-2011, 04:58 PM
true never thought of that. will have to work out an average of the hours she has done tho as she does vary. most weeks about 80 but this week was 150.

munch149
04-06-2011, 05:01 PM
actually then again she pays weekly and deposit was 170 this meaning she will technically still owe me money as two average weeks are 103 which two weeks are 206. think i will have to discuss this with her as very much doubt i will get that money if im not working for it so she may want to consider doing first two weeks of summer holidays

munch149
04-06-2011, 05:04 PM
just checked contract and notice is actually four weeks.

Mookins
04-06-2011, 05:10 PM
just checked contract and notice is actually four weeks.

lol, glad you checked you might of done yourself short

xx

munch149
04-06-2011, 05:17 PM
if i suggest her to let me have them tho over summer for 4 weeks notice, as we have a flexible contract, there is nothing stopping her just bringing them for two hours each week is there? if i do this i could potentially lose money taking someone else on.

sandy64
04-06-2011, 05:36 PM
hi not sure if Ive understood this right? if mum has told you she doesn't need you any more then she needs to pay 4 Weeks money as from day she gave notice its irrelevant if its hols or not do you take a retainer for termtime? you dont have to work it if she doesnt need you to and she cant save month till summer hols,
As a good will and only if you wanted to you could charge her half fees for notice period if not used.:)

munch149
04-06-2011, 06:48 PM
dont you think its a bit much to expect her to pay 4 weeks when they are unused and can see that she would feel this unfair too and would complain and i think i would struggle to get the money. think i might do that and just charge half rate as this would mean she would just lose her deposit

miffy
04-06-2011, 09:14 PM
I would make sure you have been paid in full for the hours you've worked before you even think of returning her deposit

Miffy xx

Hebs
04-06-2011, 09:23 PM
dont you think its a bit much to expect her to pay 4 weeks when they are unused and can see that she would feel this unfair too and would complain and i think i would struggle to get the money. think i might do that and just charge half rate as this would mean she would just lose her deposit

no 100% NOT unfair, thats what the notice period is for :thumbsup:

Lawwa
04-06-2011, 10:02 PM

It's not unfair and as she signed the contract, she can't argue that it is. You are entitled to 4 weeks paid notice. If she choses not to use you during those 4 weeks then that's her call but no reason for you to lose out on money whilst advertising your vacancies.

onceinabluemoon
05-06-2011, 07:40 AM
I think you need to look at your contract and see what you actually have in writing about the notice period. If you do not have a minimum amount of hours (eg flexible contract, used when needed etc) then there's not a lot you can do as she could just say she needs you for 15 minutes each week for the next 4 weeks...

However you should obviously be paid for what you have worked.

Why don't you call her and find out why they have cancelled instead of worrying about it then you can discuss the notice period.

Then use this experience to ensure you have a water tight contract for future mindees

The Juggler
05-06-2011, 11:00 AM
i'm a bit confused hon, are you already working for this mum and you have already provided care?

then make sure you are paid for care actually provided to date. Are the boys not coming back at all, not even after school? then she owes you two weeks at after school rate as that is what she owes you contractually.

munch149
05-06-2011, 05:56 PM
a complaint has now been officially made and i am freaking out. dont know why she wasnt just upfront about it. at least i could have already reacted rather than having a sleepless night tonight as cant ring anyone for advice or contact ofsted until the morning

jaja
05-06-2011, 06:02 PM
ok, breath, how do you know that they have made a complaint? have they spoken to you about anything? you are well within your right to request payment for the notice period... could this just have been said to scare you into not going for the money?

sending hugs xxx

munch149
06-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Not sure yet but feel better after speaking to ncma and them suggesting this was possible. Think only error is within my paperwork so feel better.