PDA

View Full Version : How many children would you potty at once?

leeloo1
03-06-2011, 01:36 PM
I've just finished the first full week of potty training my daughter L (1st time I've done this, so its been a lot of work) which is starting to improve, but is still at a tentative early stage.

But... I just heard from a friend (who is friends with a mindee's mum) that the mum has just started potty training her little one (my mindee) too (I suspect after seeing I was doing so with L). The mum hasn't mentioned it to me, but I suspect she may well turn up next week and announce she wants her to use the potty from now on. I do have a policy (which she won't have read, but was given to her) which says when they feel child is ready we'll discuss it, and I can contact her to remind her of this, but I'm not sure how to proceed...

Do I say I'd like to give it another week or so, to get L using the potty more confidently before beginning with another child?

Also, with L I did 2 weeks of having a nappy on in between using potty, which was brilliant at getting her used to using the potty and in minimising accidents when we started with pants full time... can I ask her to do this?

I'm dreading mindee coming and having loads of accidents (with other toddlers and babies crawling through the mess!), which may well confuse/upset L too. Also, I'm fairly certain she won't bring a potty and will expect to share L's, which I don't think is fair either.

:( This really is my week for dilemma's - between the threat of chicken pox and potty training nightmares I'm just ready for the weekend!

Penny1959
03-06-2011, 01:53 PM
I have potty trained 2 and even 3 at once - so that bit is not an issue - provided you can see them all the time to look for the 'signs' if they get engrossed in play and 'forget' to ask.

However a potty each is a must - so if you don't have a second potty ask mum to provide - mindee may be more comfortable on own anyway.

Frequent accidents are not acceptable - especially if have crawlers - and so if Mum says mindee is ready but you have lots of accidents just explain that either she needs to wait until mindee has more control / asks in time or that she provides nappies for in between potty use (or pull ups if she prefers).

Basically though it is your setting and so you decide if mindee ready to cope with potty training at your setting - working in partnership does not mean parents dictating it means discussion and some times compromise.

Good Luck with the potty training

Penny :)

blue bear
03-06-2011, 01:56 PM
You need to go with when lo is ready, I have trained three at once before it's easier as the potty is the main hocus of the day for everyone for the first couple of days. Personally I don't do Napier in between I start on Monday taking child to potty and expect child to be aski g by Wednesday if not I stop and try again in a couple of weeks.

Why not just buy another potty for mindee?

leeloo1
03-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Wow Penny you are a champion potty trainer! :) I need to get you round to whip them all (and me) into shape!

I think its just that I've not done it before, so like anything else its proving a steep learning curve. L pretty much has wees sorted, but poos are still an issue (which seems common) so it'd be nice to only have her to worry about for a little while... but I don't want to hold mindee back if she is ready - its hard to tell if she is as there are major behaviour issues which normally take precedence over looking for signs that she wants to wee/poo.

You make very good points about discussion and compromise, I think they will need to be keywords when I call to discuss with her mum.

leeloo1
03-06-2011, 02:03 PM
You need to go with when lo is ready, I have trained three at once before it's easier as the potty is the main hocus of the day for everyone for the first couple of days. Personally I don't do Napier in between I start on Monday taking child to potty and expect child to be aski g by Wednesday if not I stop and try again in a couple of weeks.

Why not just buy another potty for mindee?

I followed the Potty Training in a week book, which suggested a preparation stage of nappies between potty trips, which has worked well.

Re buying a second potty, of course I could, but I don't actually know they're potty training (as haven't mentioned to me, just rumour) and it'd be better if its the same one they use at home?!

rickysmiths
03-06-2011, 02:13 PM
I haven't helped with potty training for a couple of years but I have 2 14mth olds and a nearly 1yr old so if they all stay with me I will have 3 boys all at a similar time. Deep joy :laughing:

I expect the parents to potty train and suggest when the child is ready they have 2 weeks holiday and crack it at home before they come back to me. I then support and carry on. I hate pull ups with an avengance and always advise parents to put the child straight into pants.

I have 2 potties and have never asked a parent to provide one I never thought to ask to be honest.

gigglinggoblin
03-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Frequent accidents = not ready imo so I ask that they are in nappies or pull ups if that happens. I would expect a cm to have a potty my child could use, I assume you bought a changing mat, car seat, toys etc? I wouldnt have a problem with two children training at once, it means you are not going to have to go through it all again in a couple of months.

Mouse
03-06-2011, 02:57 PM
I've had 2 potty training at once and it's not that bad once you get into a good routine. I've always provided the potties (one each) and wouldn't expect children to brig their own from home. It's actually better to get them used to going on different potties, so it doesn't become an issue if you're out somewhere and don't have their potty with you. It could become a problem if the child will only go on their potty.

I agree with what others have said. If mum does approach you about potty training, say "great, we'll give it a go", then go onto explain that if there are more than 2 accidents lo will have to go back into nappies.

carol cameron
03-06-2011, 02:59 PM
I have toilet trained two girls at the same time and then three boys a couple of years later. It really isn't as bad as it sounds. I just popped them onto their own potty at the same time!
I bought cheap 99p ones from Morrisons in different colours and it really worked for me.
Good luck with it tho, every child is different and I had discussions with the parents of each child to make sure we were doing the same kind of routines when I was happy that the children were ready.
At the end of the day it is my home and I was not going to be involved in a situation where children were weeing everywhere because they weren't ready. Odd accidents were fine to cope with though.:)

leeloo1
03-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm ready for a holiday, as everything is stressing me out at the moment! Its really reassuring to hear that other people have successfully potty trained multiples and lived to tell the tale though! :)

I'l have to have a look in Morrisons for a cheapy potty - I bought L a babybjorn one (well 2, as 1 for upstairs, but 2nd was 2nd hand for £5) which was about £25 :blush: (she's very tall, so seemed more comfy for her) so I couldn't fund more of those...

I'l talk to the mum next week and see what she has to say about it all. :)

aly
03-06-2011, 09:37 PM
my daughter and her frined my mindee {at the time} are 4 weeks differenc ein age, I potty trained the 2 of them together...I did dread it but if you are doign 1 anyway 2 wasnt any harm....like someone said as long as you are watchign for signs etc and have the space to do them together..i had 1 on the potty and 1 on the loo so i was able to sit with both of them {me not on the potty though :p}
they sort of egged each other on.

grindal
03-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Im dreading potty training my girl mindees. Its so easy with boys - they wee and you pour it away. With girls theres the whole wiping thing. I do not have a downstairs loo - its gonna be so complicated.

leeloo1
06-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't look forward to potty training! Still haven't been able to get hold of the parents, so I don't know what they're doing/not doing... :rolleyes:

I still don't know what I'll be doing when we go out - I guess I'll need to try and take 2 potties out with me - eek!