PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what to advise this mum!

juslh
02-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Hiya, I have posted here before about my non-sleeping baby charge. He is just turned one and is a nightmare to get to sleep ie will NEVER drift off in buggy or car, and cries for up to 45 mins when put in his cot. Mum says to leave him to cry since if you go up, he sort of starts all over again, if you know what I mean. Thankfully, on the whole he falls asleep after 15 mins or so since I dont like letting them cry for ages. He has lasted the whole 45 mins tho :( It transpires she is at her wits end with him.. he resists day time naps yet is clearly tired, wakes in the night and will only settle with a bottle, and wakes early too. He grizzles and cries all day, presumably because he is knackered. If she (or I!) take him and his sister out he is in meltdown after an hour or so. What do I do and what can I suggest???

Mookins
02-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Hiya, I have posted here before about my non-sleeping baby charge. He is just turned one and is a nightmare to get to sleep ie will NEVER drift off in buggy or car, and cries for up to 45 mins when put in his cot. Mum says to leave him to cry since if you go up, he sort of starts all over again, if you know what I mean. Thankfully, on the whole he falls asleep after 15 mins or so since I dont like letting them cry for ages. He has lasted the whole 45 mins tho :( It transpires she is at her wits end with him.. he resists day time naps yet is clearly tired, wakes in the night and will only settle with a bottle, and wakes early too. He grizzles and cries all day, presumably because he is knackered. If she (or I!) take him and his sister out he is in meltdown after an hour or so. What do I do and what can I suggest???

this sounds like one of my mindees , he seems to hate sleeping full stop...when hes here, i lay him on the sofa with a bottle of milk and a blanket so he gets all snuggly and sit next to him but avoid eye contact, weve now got it to he nods off knowing that im there next to him and once hes asleep i slowly quietly get up...one false move and hes wide awake again.... he has to sleep on the sofa here too cos if i try to move him he wakes up:rolleyes:

hope that helps

xxx

juslh
02-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. I so wish I could just sit with him or rock him to sleep but I have at least 1, and in the hols 3 other bodies around (and not the quietest of children either) so he does just have to go up and thats it. Mum has an older (demanding) child so may well be similarly limited in what she can do. Oh I don't know!!

Twinkles
02-06-2011, 08:04 PM
I don't know what brought this to mind but has she tried cranial osteopathy ?

http://www.cranial.org.uk/page3.html

I think if it was my child I'd try anything and I have had reports of this working.

Mookins
02-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the reply. I so wish I could just sit with him or rock him to sleep but I have at least 1, and in the hols 3 other bodies around (and not the quietest of children either) so he does just have to go up and thats it. Mum has an older (demanding) child so may well be similarly limited in what she can do. Oh I don't know!!

i too have other kids here...to start off with it was a nightmare everytime i got up to see to one he would cry or get up....now ive managed to wangle itso when my easy sleeper goes for a nap i try with the non sleeper and then my dd gets to watch her telly so shes definatly quiet;)

bless your heart xxx

miffy
02-06-2011, 08:40 PM

I think if it was my child I'd try anything and I have had reports of this working.

I know someone who tried this for feeding difficulties and the results were amazing.

I know it's not the same problem but worth suggesting to mum.

Miffy xx

The Juggler
02-06-2011, 08:44 PM
hon, you have just described my now 2 year old mindee when she first started - I was lucky if she slept 20 mins actually. In her cot she almost panicked, had to put my hand on her (bless) and had to sit for a good 10 mins after she dropped off or she'd wake again when I moved. Mum and Dad had to lie with her at bedtime too but then she'd wake again if they moved.

Last Easter, (just after she was 1) they decided to do controlled crying and get her a proper bedtime and them a proper evening - bingo! she came back, put her in cot, she waved me night night and off to sleep she went. now she'll happily sleep 2 hours if I let her and she sleeps loads at home too :)

I suggest some bedtime routine advice for mum and dad :thumbsup:

Chimps Childminding
02-06-2011, 09:02 PM

New mindee due to start end of this month has just been for this. Not really know too much about it, but I asked dad today how he was (have older sister at present) and he said he was a different child. sleeping all night, not whingy during the day and finishing off all his bottles.

He is just 6 months old. Not sure if its coincidence or not but dad seemed to think it was what made the difference!!

Louise0208
03-06-2011, 07:10 AM

my daughter had this once a month from 4 months old......it was amazing, after copius doctors visits i was about ready to admit myself to the funny farm through her screaming, sickness, odd poohs and not sleeping...i was told by 1 doctor i was imagining it....baby suffered for 8 months before diagnosed!

turned out to be a dairy allery in the end so nothing to do with skull malforming during birth (which is what they thought) but she slept like a dream after each session....the practitioner even helped me with my IBS :thumbsup: