PDA

View Full Version : Fracture :o(

JCrakers
02-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Went to the park this morning wiht the kids...We'd been there 1.5hrs and only had about 5mins left.
Little boy (7) who's been with me for 3.5yrs was playing with some children on the climbing playhouse, fell off and hurt his arm.

I could see he had done something as he wouldnt move it..made him a sling from a jumper, rang Mum, got in gave him some nurofen, made a proper sling for him as he couldnt straighten his arm.

Mum rang me from the local minor injuries clinic..its fractured. :(
Poor lamb ...first time in 3.5yrs that a child has hurt themselves and I feel really bad. I know there was nothing I could have dome to prevent it but it doesnt make me feel any better

Becky x

lynnslittleuns
02-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Aah bless him.

At least you did what you could at the time.

Lynn xx

The Juggler
02-06-2011, 01:41 PM
a sling out of a jumper now our first aid tutors would have loved you - they had us comign up with all sorts of ideas for slings.

sorry this happened hon. don't worry. Sure you have but just make sure it's all recorded and you've informed who you need to inform. Off top of my head I think regulations have recently changed but pretty sure for breaks you still need to inform Ofsted and RIDDOR.

x

Playmate
02-06-2011, 01:48 PM
a sling out of a jumper now our first aid tutors would have loved you - they had us comign up with all sorts of ideas for slings.

sorry this happened hon. don't worry. Sure you have but just make sure it's all recorded and you've informed who you need to inform. Off top of my head I think regulations have recently changed but pretty sure for breaks you still need to inform Ofsted and RIDDOR.

x

this is my understanding to Juggler :D

kindredspirits
02-06-2011, 02:36 PM
you won't have to inform riddor as the accident wasn't caused by anything in your home (because you are at the park) although ofsted might advise you - they won't be interested.

fluffysocks
02-06-2011, 02:44 PM
thats my worst fear!! oh hun, really feeling for you and the lad.

You did everything right hun, we cant stop them playing-they are kids!

ITS NOT YOUR FAULT

xx

littletreasures
02-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Poor thing and poor you.

Sounds like you did everything you could for him to ease the pain.

At least they had a fun time at the park before it happened rather than happening 5 minutes after you'd been there xx

jelly15
02-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Jope everyone involved is feeling a bit better now.

RachelE
02-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Aww, poor LO.

You did far better than me when dd fractured her arm!
She was getting off the trampoline - which does have a net - and fell onto her arm. It was fractured in 2 places. I got on the phone to dh as soon as we left A&E and burst into tears.

We do feel guilty when we cant protect them all the time - but you did more than an amazing job.

Well done for acting so quickly!

Rachel x

Hebs
02-06-2011, 03:48 PM
my lil mindee broke her arm on tuesday, i'm glad she was at home when she done it :panic:

well done you for coping with it so well xxx

karensmart4
02-06-2011, 04:30 PM
In 9 years of minding nothing like this has happened to me thank goodness! so I can only guess at how you feel ((((hugs to you and the lil one)))).

You did as much as you could and it was just one of those things.....

Get mindees to make him a card tomorrow to cheer him up :)

JCrakers
06-06-2011, 10:01 AM
He's broken both bones in his lower arm so hes in plaster for 4 weeks...right arm so no writing for him (which I think hes pleased about)

He seems fine this morning, hes back at school.
I rang Ofsted to report and had to email in a report too. Looked at my risk assesmetns which cant be made better as everything was in place.
Rang Riddor who dont need to know. Filled in an accident form and got it signed....PHEW.

Mums been lovely as I felt really bad even though I couldnt have prevented it...hes 7 and loves climbing. The day before she said he was up a tree when they went camping. This was only a couple of feet, he just fell awkwardly on it.

Anyway, back to work. Just hope no one else injures themselves. Ive been looking after kids for 17yrs and this has been my first incident..Used a bandage out my first aid kit that has hardly been touched in childminding in 3.5yrs....:D (except the plasters that is)

Becky x