PDA

View Full Version : Food standard ratings

kells_bells
02-06-2011, 07:49 AM
I don't know if anyone's noticed them yet but there's a scheme for businesses that sell or prepare food, to rate your food hygiene and presents you an award/ rating of;
1,2,3,4,5 ranging from immediate improvements needed to very good.
The business has a right to appeal and can also request a new inspection once improvements have been made. They are then given a sticker which they can choose to display or not, this is supposed to help the consumer make an informed decision before using the service.

At present childminders and carers who work in a home setting are exempt from the inspection ratings, but you can have an inspection voluntarily. If you choose not to display your sticker then no one will know what you got as childminders reports are not published on line.

I have recently used a new butcher because they had a 4 in their window, and I thought for them to get a good with all that blood and raw meat around was a good sign.
Would you consider inviting another inspector into your home?
Or do you think it wouldn't have an impact on potential and existing parents views.

karensmart4
02-06-2011, 07:58 AM
In our area up until very recently we have had to be inspected.

I had my inspection about 10 mths ago and got a 5 star rating :clapping: I have my sticker on display and where ever I go now, I notice what star rating businesses have.

I had a letter 3 weeks ago asking if I wanted to opt out of the inspections in the future, I'm guessing this is because of the council cut backs.

Karen

kells_bells
02-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Well done!
I'd not thought about it being a mandatory thing. I was worried that our home would be judged to the same standards as a business kitchen (stainless steel work tops ect) which isn't always practical for a home.

Do you think it's helped your childminding service? Or is the pride in the achievement enough alone?

karensmart4
02-06-2011, 09:19 AM
It looks good in the information pack I give to new parents, I thought Ofsted might look on it as a positive thing.... but she said she was only interested on what was happening on that particular day!

I think it gave me a boost to get the award.... and it made me realise that giving children their 'Wow' certificates must give them a confidence boost as well :thumbsup:

AliceK
02-06-2011, 09:55 AM
We are inspected by EH but they didn't give me a sticker or mention anything about stars. She was very nice but very strict :eek:

xxxx