PDA

View Full Version : Child exposed to chicken pox - would you accept them?

leeloo1
01-06-2011, 03:11 PM
I've just been contacted by a parent - their child has spent the last 2 weeks on holiday playing with his cousin who has just come down with full blown chicken pox.

They've said they assume their child will have caught it and can't come to me, but have asked how long I'll exclude for.

What would you do? Its very hard, as is the little boy doesn't get it then I'll feel bad for having excluded, but if he does and my own children get it then I'll have to close the setting until they've recovered. :(

Also, one of my mum's is pregnant, so I'd rather not have her child catch an infectious disease if I can avoid it.

devoncm
01-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Im pretty sure its until spots have dried and scabbed over, he may not catch it my friends child had them a brother got them after but other brother and mum didnt get them

Helen79
01-06-2011, 04:00 PM
I don't think you can exclude until a child has the symptoms unless it's the parents who have suggested to and they're happy to keep him at home.
My own dd and ds have been in contact with chicken pox so many but have never caught it themselves. I couldn't have kept them home every time just in case.

blue bear
01-06-2011, 04:13 PM
You can't really exclude just in case the child may come into contact on many occasions before he contracts it or may never get it at all.

christine e
01-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Agree I don't see how you can exclude just in case - with regard to the pregnant parent with the first child's parent's permission I would mention what has happened and let her decide if she still wants to send her little one

Christine

aly
01-06-2011, 05:50 PM
my son is 9, has been in contact with al his friends my 1 mindee had it and he has never had it.....in fact my 6 year old and 3 year old daughter ahvent had it yet either and have had contact at some point, i wojuldnt be very happy if my child was not accepted just becausse they were in contact with others...

miffy
01-06-2011, 07:17 PM
I don't think you can exclude just because a child has been in contact with chicken pox - they might not catch it anyway.

Miffy xx

Goatgirl
01-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Hi :),
I think in your position I'd tell pregnant mum a mindee has been in contact with a child who has chicken pox and may or may not come down with it. There's quite a long incubation period though, so it may be while before you even know if he's caught it!

Regarding your own children, they could catch it at any time and not even know where from as its infectious well before the spots appear...

If you apply the same exclusion terms to closing your setting if your children do get it, its only 5 days from when the spots begin to appear until the last one scabs over and hopefully they would get it at roughly the same time :thumbsup:

hope you work something out that everyone's happy with :)
wendy :)

leeloo1
01-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I spoke to the dad and he's fairly convinced that little one will get it as he spent so much time with the ill child. He said he'd keep him at home, as it was a known about infection, so *phew* glad its settled.
:thumbsup:

I really appreciate everyone's time and opinions, so thanks for helping.

Goatgirl
01-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I spoke to the dad and he's fairly convinced that little one will get it as he spent so much time with the ill child. He said he'd keep him at home, as it was a known about infection, so *phew* glad its settled.
:thumbsup:

I really appreciate everyone's time and opinions, so thanks for helping.

Hi :),
They sound like excellent parents to work with :) lucky you
and glad it worked out ok :thumbsup: