PDA

View Full Version : Mealtime, help!

handeme
01-06-2011, 11:13 AM
I have posted on here before about this but the problem doesn't seem to be improving.

I have a 1 year old mindee who has a problem waiting for food.

This morning he has eaten 2 x weetabix with blueberries and then a large portion of raisins for snack.

I have just prepared lunch and he was creating (by creating I mean screaming as if he had been hurt!!) at my feet for the food (bearing in mind he only had eaten snack 30 mins previously).

I have tried settling him down to an activity, played outdoors etc to keep him occupied while I prepare food. I have tried cooking things slowly so that I dont have to spend time in the kitchen preparing lunch but if he sees something in the oven he creates because he can see it cooking. The same with preparing in advance, he can see the sandwich boxes etc we go into tantrum mode.

Even if for instance he has already eaten snack and another child is still eating he will create for there food too.

He can not possibly be hungry I would be full on what he has eaten. Mum has said she wants to work on his problem around food but I can't seem to find a solution and it is beging to stress me out a little.

c x

Flisspaps
01-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Personally I would ignore the screaming. DD is 1 and so is mindee.

Jiorjiina
01-06-2011, 11:28 AM
At least he eats what you make!

It there anyway you can not have him in the kitchen while you prepare food? Like having the kitchen gated off (but the door open), and a baby monitor with you, while he plays?

Also, never say never about him being genuinely hungry. My younger brother is the only person we know who actually put on weight in hospital (he was quite literally born with hollow cheeks), and continues to stay disgustingly thin in spite of eating the worst diet I have ever seen. (I seem to put on weight if I even smell cake :( )

Helen79
01-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Could you make all sandwiches in the morning before they arrive so it's all ready for lunchtime then he isn't having to watch you make the food.
ds would've eaten double what your mindee has & would still be hungry. He is constantly hungry and always asking for food. I know he has a big appetite so make sure he has access to healthy food and let him graze. I would be sick if I ate the amount of food ds does but toddlers use so much more energy running around.

Maybe give him more carbohydraty food for a snack to fill him up more. If he's finished before the other children and asking for more food then give him a bit more, he may just have a bigger appetite than the other children.
He's still only young and hasn't learnt to control his natural impulse around food. Could you maybe teach him the sign for please, then ask him to do that instead of the screaming.
ds always screamed around food, I just ignored it and distracted him and he grew out of it.

handeme
01-06-2011, 11:45 AM
I had tried the baby gate on the kitchen door, it makes him worse screams even louder (the kind of scream that is so high pitched I think I will have a garden full of dogs :laughing:)

Even if i prepare food in advance and then I start to get things out and ready he still screams until he has a mouth full.

c x

blue bear
01-06-2011, 12:02 PM
I have 4 one year old mindees, their appetite varies some eat more than others but all more than yours, example

Weetabix with fruit plus cup/ bootle of milk at 8.30

Snack apple. Raisins, crumpet or toast with a smoothie or milk shake or hot choc if cold about 10

Lunch is cooked lunch with fruit and yogurt around 12 but sometimes earlier if they are hungry and asking ( mine get a plate from cupboard when hungry )

Is your lo average size for age, what portion size is he used to at home?

Work with mum on an agreed portion size, what sort of foods and how often sohe gets the same at home and yours.

If he is getting good size portions for his age/size and how active he is then
Might be using tantrums to get attention and this needs to be ignore ( behaviour not him) talk to him calmly saying when you are having lunch and give a firm no.

Chatterbox Childcare
01-06-2011, 12:20 PM
What about giving him 2 weetabix when he arrives, even if mum has just given breakfast, then fruit at 11 and lunch and hour later.

You know what he has had and that he isn't hungry - maybe a habit has formed at home and it needs breaking - maybe your eardrums with burst first though :D

Maza
01-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Poor you! I was also going suggest a carbohydrate addition to his snack as that's what my two seem to need and they wolf it down - crackers and philadelphia, crumpet, hot cross bun etc as well as their fruit. I started doing it after I noticed that our playgroup serve up large snacks on Monday mornings. Good luck, please keep us updated as I find this post fascinating!

mumto3
01-06-2011, 02:33 PM
my son who is just over 2 does this, its definately an age thing, i just talk to him and keep telling him that im doing lunch now and he has to wait, he does moan and climb up the washing machine but i tell him no and he does get down, i distract him by asking him to get his plate out and i ask him what else he wants with his sandwich, he always gets his own spoon for his yoghurt and points to whatever else he wants

just distract as much as u can and ignore the rest, they need to realise that they need to wait for things sometimes, it will get easier

handeme
01-06-2011, 04:31 PM
What about giving him 2 weetabix when he arrives, even if mum has just given breakfast, then fruit at 11 and lunch and hour later.

You know what he has had and that he isn't hungry - maybe a habit has formed at home and it needs breaking - maybe your eardrums with burst first though :D

Debbie, thats exactly what I do, breakfast generally around 7.30/8.00, snack 10.00ish then sleep and lunch 11.30/12.00.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I am due an inspection and I am really worried what OFSTED will think about this when the arrive, he will no doubt be eating at some point when they are here.

c x

Mouse
01-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Debbie, thats exactly what I do, breakfast generally around 7.30/8.00, snack 10.00ish then sleep and lunch 11.30/12.00.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I am due an inspection and I am really worried what OFSTED will think about this when the arrive, he will no doubt be eating at some point when they are here.

c x

If you're worried about what Ofsted might say, make a note of your concerns, write that you've discussed it with mum and that you're working on a solution together. Ofsted will be more than happy with that :thumbsup:

Maza
01-06-2011, 06:39 PM
I agree, don't worry about Ofsted, they will be used to seeing children cry for all sorts of reasons. As long as they can see that you are keeping the child safe at the time and are trying out different strategies until you find something that works then they will be happy.

I read somewhere that if ch'n are getting grumpy whilst you are getting their food you could put them in their high chair and give them a v light snack to munch on and keep them occupied, a few cheerios, rice cake, breadstick, slice of cucumber maybe. Maybe the answer is just to ignore him, who knows! I quite like the idea that someone else said - getting them to get out their plate etc. so that he is distracted.

Ripeberry
05-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Earplugs! ;)