PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with 2 one year olds - Need Advice!

Blades35
31-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Hi All,

My first child i am due to look after is a 1yr old, i also have my own little angel who is coming up to 13 months, i have been going over scenarios/dilemma's in my head, for instance: When the mindee is due a nap, i have a travel cot upstairs in the nursery (my childs room) but, do I leave my own downstairs unattended (albeit it in a safe room) for a minute whilst I take mindee upstairs to the cot, then come back down for mine, and bring her upstairs too, then settle mindee into nap, or do I take both children upstairs at the same time, What is the best way round these situations? Ofsted aside, I want the best & safest solution for all!? Any other tips for looking after two so young? I am looking forward to lots of things to do, feeding ducks, playing with colourful toys, shapes, sorting etc etc, but the logistics of the naps is worrying me! All advice greatly received! THANKS!:clapping:

handeme
01-06-2011, 06:39 AM
I have 2, one year olds too, one being my own.

The key is trial what works for you, but I wouldnt advise taking both upstairs together that cant be very safe on the steps.

My little ones tend to sleep on school runs or go to sleep in the buggy when we are just at home.

I too had the idea of lovley play time with my 2 one year olds (my own little boy will sit and play) but every ones children are not the same and in fact my mindee wont sit to play he just likes to wander around.

c x

blue bear
01-06-2011, 07:04 AM
We have a downstairs bed room so don't need to go up, probably safer leaving one down stairs in hearing, risk assess and work out what poses less risk.

Enjoy minding it is a great job, sometimes challenging but that what makes it interesting no two days are the same.

Chimps Childminding
01-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Personally I would leave one down stairs and take them up one at a time rather than risk trying to carry 2 babies upstairs together! You would only be a few minutes putting one in the cot upstairs before going back down to get the other. Even if they cried while you had gone I would still think it is the safer option!!!

Blades35
01-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Thank you all, I did think the leaving one downstairs the safer option, but wasn't sure if Ofsted would frown apon me leaving a child unattended, but i guess if its my own, just for a minute? But I probably over anaylise too much, i guess we will find a routine that suits us and settle into it. No doubt I will be back on here once I have started with more questions! :laughing:

Thanks again, this forum is a godsend! :)

lau
01-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi, I have 2 10 month olds at the moment, I am currently registered for 2 under 1's. I have to say that I do leave one downstairs while I put the other in the cot, although my mindee is not completely on the move yet so it is a lot easier. Some scenarios have been a bit challenging to say the least, but I have to say that on the whole I have managed to work things into a bit of a routine but when I have both of them together I do have to think about whether some of the toddler groups are doable due to the level of chaos and room to roam etc there is.

You will find the way that works for you with everything, I took them both to storytime at the local library today which I was slightly dreading and they were both brilliant and then my baby slept in the pram when we got back and K slept in the travel cot when we got back.

I have had to move the travel cot into my older son's bedroom during the day when he is at school as I found that they woke each other up or found it way more interesting to talk to each other when they were both in cots in my baby's nursery

xx

catlyn
01-06-2011, 09:38 PM
I pop one in the play pen or high chair when I am upstairs with the other one....its safe and easier than carrying 2 upstairs at the same time