PDA

View Full Version : he will ONLY sleep in a buggy!

peach
31-05-2011, 02:05 PM
I have a little one who will be 2 in august and mum says he will only sleep in a buugy!

even at home he sleeps in one :eek: he wont go in a bed. I tried putting him into the travel cot and he climbed out and wrecked my sons room so I brought the cot downstairs where I could see him and after putting him back in every 2-3mins for almost an hour I gave up.

what do I do? he is with me 5 days a week from 8 - 6

If you say its nap time he will go and get in the buggy :panic: i said to mum its not good for his back to sleep in a buggy and she said its because he used to have paddys before bed so they strapped him into his buugy to paddy himself to sleep and then once he was asleep they didnt want to wake him up to put him to bed. :rolleyes:

Cammie Doodle
31-05-2011, 02:27 PM
This is so hard to deal with I used to have a child who would not settle anywhere but a car seat :eek: but surely some sleep is better than a tired grumpy child. Maybe get Mum to sign something to say this is how her child sleeps in the day at home (maybe this would go someway with Ofsted)

AliceK
31-05-2011, 02:42 PM
I have a LO who will only nap in the buggy. She's 17mths old and only naps for about 45 mins. Usually this conincides with a nursery run so she falls asleep in the buggy and that's fine but on the days like today when we are not out and about if I try and get her to sleep in the travel cot she just gets very very upset and crys a lot in there and will not sleep. When she gets tired here she will tel me "buggy, buggy". I've told mum and she's fine with it. Not thought about what Ofsted might say though but I would rather a child have a nap in the buggy than get all upset because I'm trying to get them to sleep in a travel cot which they obviously hate.

It sounds like this little one in OP sleeps in a buggy at night at home as well :eek: . Is that right or have I read that wrong. Surely no-one puts their child to bed in a buggy???

xxxxx

Helen79
31-05-2011, 02:48 PM
If it's a lie flat one then it's fine for nap times unless he's asleep for hours & hours. I have it on my permission form to let mindees sleep in the buggy.
Is he a deep sleeper? Could you transfer him over into a cot once he's asleep? Although if he climbs out he's probably safer staying in the buggy.
If he's slept in a buggy for 2 years it's unlikely you'll be able to change his ways now so would leave him to it. Both my own children and most of my mindees have naps in the buggy, I thought it was a common thing to do.

tinynippers
31-05-2011, 02:52 PM
ofstead have always been fine with me when i have said lo have naps in a buggy one lo used to have 2 hour nap after lunch and again they were fine with this so i wouldn't worry about it when lo is at yours. most buggy's these days do tend to lay rather flat/low.

to be honest i would never let my children go to bed in a buggy though but then i see that as parents problem unless your reg for overnight care and you have lo at night time.

xxx

snufflepuff
31-05-2011, 03:01 PM
I have had children sleep in buggies- it was the way their parents did it at home. I just made sure I had signed permission and used lay-flat buggies.

Seems rather odd for him to sleep in a buggy all night though!?

kells_bells
31-05-2011, 03:28 PM
I have a lo who can only sleep bolt upright, she now can sleep on the couch sat up too. She has problems with her ears so wakes up screaming if you even tilt her slightly. Although it's far from ideal sometimes needs must and any sleep is better than none.

Chell
31-05-2011, 03:40 PM
I think as long as Mum knows where he is sleeping and is happy with it then that is what matters. I don't think it is dangerous napping in a buggy. My own three children never slept in a cot through the day, they were on the sofa or in the buggy.

YOu could perhaps do a risk assessment, it sounds like the buggy is the safest option.

Playmate
31-05-2011, 03:42 PM
I have 2 children who only sleep in buggies during the day and I have written permission from the parents. My own son had chest problems and always had to be propped up at night;which was a nightmare and always slept well in the buggy. When I look at some of the possitions children sleep in when in a cot I'm sure their backs are no worse off in the buggy! My son is now 19 and is a very energetic musical theatre student with no back problems :clapping:

alwaysright
31-05-2011, 04:38 PM
like everyone else i dont see a problem with the children have a sleep in a buggy, i do it and always have, ofsted have never said this isnt allowed, as long as the child is getting a sleep i wouldnt worry

miffy
31-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Wow, I wonder what the parents will do when he's too big to sleep in a buggy? :eek:

I don't think there's much you can do about this - parents are obviously happy with him sleeping in a buggy so just get their written permission.

Miffy xx

Dragonfly
31-05-2011, 06:10 PM
I have a 19month old child and the parent likes him to sleep in a buggy and would prefer him sleeping in the garden (fresh air) some parents like to keep cots just for bed time at night. Can see nothing wrong with a buggy, getting the rest is important. but Im not sure about a buggy all night guess its up to the parents.

peach
31-05-2011, 09:31 PM
thank you ladies you have made me feel lots better x

i know i found it quite shocking that he slept in a buggy all night at home but im not his mum :rolleyes: (i wouldnt do it i sould emagine a safty gate and few unsettled nights would work wonders)

JCrakers
01-06-2011, 08:26 AM
My little mindee sleeps in the buggy as I dont have a car for work so walking everywhere means she falls asleep on the way home from toddler group/park etc.

Cant believe little one sleeps in a buggy overnight...things parents do to get a bit of peace :laughing: If they had stuck out his tantrums for a few days he would be in a bed.
Whats he gonna do when hes 5/6yrs old?

Becky

jumpinjen
01-06-2011, 08:57 AM
i would say risk assess that he is safer in buggy, and get mum to sign permission stating that she has requested that he sleep like this.

Good luck to them when he needs to be in a bed!

i often put my little ones to sleep in the buggy in the afternoon to avoid disturbing them when we had to do the school run halfway through their sleep.

jen x