PDA

View Full Version : Can I?

mumof4tobe
31-05-2011, 10:50 AM
I looking into childminding last year for the first time(properly anyway)
I even had my name down for a place on the pre-registration course but cancelled cause I didnt think i could do it.

Ive got 4 kids of my own, 5, almost 4, 2 and 16 weeks

Am i being unreasonable thinking i'd be able to cope with my own kids as well as others, not to mention all the paperwork that seems to be involved.

I dont even know where to start with all the stuff I'd need to get ready for an inspection.

:panic:

AliceK
31-05-2011, 11:00 AM
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to cope with another 2. Once you get organised and into a routine with it all it just becomes normal. Well except the paperwork and I can't really advise on that as I am quite behind on mine :blush: . Getting your policies and procedures, risk assesments etc done will take a lot of time up but once they're done you only need to review them and amend if neccs once or twice a year. It's the LJ's that I get behind on and my accounts.
Depending on your 4yr old and whether he/she is at school yet full-time you could either have 1 after school and 1 under 5 space or if your 4yr old is not yet at school full-time then only 2 before / after school mindees but no under 5 spaces.

Good luck. Go for it :thumbsup:

xxxxx

mumto3
31-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Hi,

Ive been looking into childminding too as im a qualified nursery nurse and have 3 kiddies (9,6 and 2)

U must have ur hands full with those ages, u still could childmind but as u already have 3 under the age of 5 u would have to have older children so still doable, u could have 2 after schoolies and then in holidays too, having that many of ur own with their ages does restrict u a little but u can still earn enough for some extra pocket money

I havent started yet so dont know realistically how much paperwork is involved but whether u could handle that and ur own responsibilities depends on ur lifestyle and whther ur children demand alot of attention or are quite independant, i think only u can know what u could do

hope that makes sense

The Juggler
31-05-2011, 01:28 PM
only you know what you could cope with hon. sounds like you are doing a fairly good job already. I'd say that with ages of your own you'd be looking at over 8's or 5-8's only. I'd say that children of this age that you take on (that you have never known as littlies) MIGHT be more demanding and take longer to settle down to your house/boundaries than littlies do so depends on how stretched you feel with your 5 and 4 year olds ;)

However, if you start reg. now by the time you finish it's likely your 4 year old will be off to reception or nearly (it can take 6-9months) so you'd be allowed an under 5 full time by next September plus another schoolie.

mumof4tobe
31-05-2011, 03:10 PM
my almost 4 year old starts reception in september, hes 4 right at the end of august :)

so between the house of 9-3 id only have my 2 youngest, would they take that into account?
to be honest i'd really love under 5's, im hoping to be driving by the next year so would be able to plan porper days out for the little ones without having to rush home for school pick ups mid day, unless a little one was at our nursery(the only do morning sessions)

i think im gonna go to a pre-registration session and see how i feel then
thanks for your advice :thumbsup:

mummyMia
31-05-2011, 03:17 PM
I would go for it!

Your kids are very young now and it sounds like you have your hands full BUT it can take forever to get registered. It has taken me a year and a half since I first started and am still not registered:angry: :angry: :angry: I am still waiting for one last crb. So if you start the ball rolling now you may find that by the time you are registered your two eldest will be in full time school, your 2 year old may have already started preschool and your youngest won't be such a tiny baby any more. By that time you may well find that you can cope with one more under 5:)

samb
31-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Yes they take the number and ages of your children into consideration when registering you. I have 2 of my own (2 and 5) and live in an upstairs flat so can only have 2 more children under 8 (only 1 under 1). All the other childminders I know are registered for the full amount of children though. I used to nanny for a family - they had 4 children and so I had 6. I found a 13 year age gap with 2 under 1s for 55 hours a week too demanding but may have coped better if I was childminding them as I could have decided more about what we did etc - as a nanny I had to do everything they expected of me if you see what I mean.