PDA

View Full Version : Help Observations

moljak
30-05-2011, 08:51 AM
I've been minding (this time round) for a year now and have just got my head around observations (I think).With the help of Sarah 007 of course :)
I've 2 mindees at the moment and have their observations in their Learning Journeys.Is that the right place to keep them? I understand they will then leave with them.I have one mindee going in July.

What I haven't been doing is group observations though.Should I be doing specific group observations? I have done observations on mindees when they've been playing together but made them mindee specific.Does that make sense?????????

Should I have an observation folder seperate to their learning journeys? to show Ofsted or will they just look at current mindee LJ's?

I feel I'm constantly questioning the work I do and whether it's right or not.Wish I had someone to come out and tell me.
Would this be something my development worker would do if I rang and asked her? I haven't seen her in the year I've minded.Not sure what her role is.

Kes
30-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Ofsted are only interested in the children you have at the time of the inspection.

Observations should be in the LJ's so your doing right.

I don't do group observations I think that works best in a nursery where they have more children. Only time I would possibly do them is if I was looking for triggers to a childs unwanted behaviour.

PixiePetal
30-05-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't do group obs - I do mention in an ob if they were playing with another child and sharing etc but as mine are mostly tinies they only play alongside each other really

moljak
01-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Thankyou.
I continually question myself lol