PDA

View Full Version : Sharing information with other settings

pinkbutterfly
28-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Question to those more experienced ones .... I have been sharing information with schools by usually providing them with LJ and a list of topics I was planning to cover. Now this has not been an issue before because I only had one mindee at a time (as I have just one space for EYFS child registered with Ofsted) however I now have 3 other mindees who are older. These mindees feature in LJs and I'm somehow uncomfortable sharing LJs anymore not only because other children are involved but also it occurred to me that my children are on the photos and so is my house. I don't mind the photos being shared between child's family but I'm not to keen on other settings looking at my childrens' pictures. I know it may sound silly but that's just me.
Would it be sufficient to provide summary with 6 areas of development and what the child has achieved in my setting and then in the same way written out what we are planning to cover?
I'm not sure I've explained clearly what I mean but will appreciate comments.

birch24
28-05-2011, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't share the L J. What I do is give the school a letter to introduce myself and to say that the parents are happy for me to share info about the child, I get the parent to sign also to say that they agree. I also request to be on the mailing list then any topics that they are following I try to do as well.

Hope this helps a bit, there will be others who do different things and they may help you more.:D

alwaysright
28-05-2011, 08:45 PM
I wouldn't share the L J. What I do is give the school a letter to introduce myself and to say that the parents are happy for me to share info about the child, I get the parent to sign also to say that they agree. I also request to be on the mailing list then any topics that they are following I try to do as well.

Hope this helps a bit, there will be others who do different things and they may help you more.:D

i dont currently have an eyfs children that attend other setting but this is what i have in place a well, i just call it my transition letter, gives few basic details about the child, introduces myself and my contact details

catswhiskers
28-05-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm the same about this. I've photocopied bits from folders to show private nurseries/kindergardens and after having no response I wonder why? I go to all the lengths of writing a letter, introducing myself, photocopying obs, photos etc. and then receiving nothing back.

I would just write a letter introducing yourself and explaining how many days you have child and what their current interests are.

If Ofsted come to visit me (my last inspection was 3 and a half years ago) I will tell them I've made every effort but that nurseries etc. aren't interested.

I've heard that Ofsted are really hot on this now (communicating with other settings, health visitors, teachers, etc)

That's all very well but with settings other children attend, I don't drop off or collect so don't get to meet anyone there.

nokidshere
29-05-2011, 11:51 AM
I don't do LJ's for schoolchildren and the only information I share is the daily stuff about school so I can pass messages etc to the parents.

The school is the primary carer - if they are full time - so they are the ones who should be doing LJ's for them. Having children for a couple of hours after school doesn't warrant planning, obs or LJ's.

Kaye

Vic3003
30-05-2011, 03:20 PM
I don't do LJ's for schoolchildren and the only information I share is the daily stuff about school so I can pass messages etc to the parents.

The school is the primary carer - if they are full time - so they are the ones who should be doing LJ's for them. Having children for a couple of hours after school doesn't warrant planning, obs or LJ's.

Kaye

Does this mean that for my rising 5 before / after schooler that I'm taking on in Sept - the school are responsible for his LJ and ofsted won't expect me to have one?

(sorry for the hijack:) )

pinkbutterfly
30-05-2011, 04:40 PM
No you're wrong nokidshere. If child is in EYFS age group which finishes in August AFTER their 5th birthday you should be doing planning, obs and learning journey. So if you have child in reception class even though they attend full time education you still have to do it and share information with them. It doesn't matter if you have them for 15 minutes or 2 hour or longer ... you still have to do something.
We don't have to do anything like that for children in KS1 (key stage 1) and older so in year 1 or older.

nokidshere
31-05-2011, 03:56 PM
No you're wrong nokidshere. If child is in EYFS age group which finishes in August AFTER their 5th birthday you should be doing planning, obs and learning journey. So if you have child in reception class even though they attend full time education you still have to do it and share information with them. It doesn't matter if you have them for 15 minutes or 2 hour or longer ... you still have to do something.
We don't have to do anything like that for children in KS1 (key stage 1) and older so in year 1 or older.

I didn't say that you dont have to do them - I said that having a child for short periods after school doesn't warrant them.

nokidshere
31-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Does this mean that for my rising 5 before / after schooler that I'm taking on in Sept - the school are responsible for his LJ and ofsted won't expect me to have one?

(sorry for the hijack:) )

Sorry Vic - I didn't mean to give the impression that they dont have to be done - only that I think its a complete waste of time for a child that is in school for 6 hours a day, has the school doing all the obs and planning and is too knackered to want to do anything else when they get back to spend an hour or so with us.