PDA

View Full Version : What do you hate the most - SEF or tax return?

Maza
27-05-2011, 09:12 AM
I've set aside today to tackle my very first tax return and am not looking forward to it. Is it as bad as the SEF which took over my life?!

Which one do you hate the most? Or maybe you just love them both...

cs01
27-05-2011, 09:26 AM
I would say the SEF as my hubbie does my tax return ;)

AliceK
27-05-2011, 09:30 AM
I hate the SEF, actually I'm scared of it. I keep meaning to update it but always find an excuse :blush: .
Tax returns don't really bother me, they're quite straightforward once you've got all your figures worked out which you will have done by the time you think about filling in the tax return. BUT I haven't done mine yet, maybe I will get around to it over the weekend??

xx

snufflepuff
27-05-2011, 09:35 AM
SEF is worse. No doubt about it. The tax return is a pain in the bum but nowhere near as bad as SEF! My first inspection was earlier than expected so I hadn't done any of me SEF when Mrs O called- I literally spent the whole weekend doing it, even ate meals at the computor.

Flisspaps
27-05-2011, 09:37 AM
SEF.

Tax return was fairly quick and painless. The SEF has taken up hours of my life so far, and I'm still not finished. I know it's voluntary but it has to be better than hours of grilling from an inspector.

alwaysright
27-05-2011, 09:38 AM
i hate both with a vengeance :mad: both take over my life when i do them, although my tax return always gets done on about the 28th january just in time for the deadline as i can never find time to do it then it takes over my life for a week when i panic :)

Mollymop
27-05-2011, 09:41 AM
The SEF definately!

I do my accounts every month so I don't find it very hard to do. It only takes about 15 mins to do your tax return online, it takes something like 15 days for me to do my SEF!!

Mollymop
27-05-2011, 09:43 AM
SEF.

The SEF has taken up hours of my life so far, and I'm still not finished. I know it's voluntary but it has to be better than hours of grilling from an inspector.

You'll still get hours of grilling from your inspector, I spent ages dong my sef but still my inspector was here for 3.5 hours!:(

singingcactus
27-05-2011, 01:55 PM
SEF! Tax takes minutes, SEF is never ending...

sweets
27-05-2011, 02:01 PM
tax return is really easy! when i was due to do my first one i put it off for as long as possible then set aside a whole afternoon to do it, it took about 40 minutes! lol, this year it took me even less time as had kept my books up to date all year and had filled them out every month.

the SEF is:censored: which i why i refuse to even do it! :laughing:

ChocolateChip
27-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Got to be the SEF! :panic:

Tax return is fairly simple if you have all your figures, but the SEF for me is a shadow hanging over my head that I know I need to tackle as will be getting THE call soon :eek:

appleblossom
27-05-2011, 03:32 PM
SEF.

Tax return was fairly quick and painless. The SEF has taken up hours of my life so far, and I'm still not finished. I know it's voluntary but it has to be better than hours of grilling from an inspector.

I still got a grilling from the inspector as she hadn't bothered to read my SEF. She said "I've printed it off but not got round to reading it". It took me absolutely hours. So i've decided as it's voluntary I'm not going to volunteer to do it again.

Tax return is easy peasy. Mine was done and submitted by 16th April.

Chimps Childminding
27-05-2011, 03:55 PM
SEF!!!!!!

I hate it!!! I am no good a selling myself!!! Feel really thick when I really don't get what they are asking for (even with help from Sarah's book :blush: ) I put it off for as long as I possibly can!!!

Tax return doesn't bother me!! Use NCMA accounts book and it is fairly straight forward to do tax return from that even for a simpeton like me :D

miffy
27-05-2011, 05:13 PM
I don't like either of them but hubby helps with tax return - wouldn't let him near my sef though! :laughing:

Miffy xx

breezy
27-05-2011, 05:54 PM
SEF, its so long winded and repetative :(

Louise0208
27-05-2011, 06:35 PM
tax return took roughly 15 mins

SEF is still not finished after about 20+ hours work! :blush:

funemnx
27-05-2011, 06:39 PM
SEF definately the worse, my Tax takes 1/2 hour tops - maybe I'm doing it wrong.... :blush:

Daisy1956
27-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Don't mind doing my tax return. HATE the SEF.

sillysausage
28-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Looks like everyone feels the same, the SEF it is for me too.
Tax return is straight forward, may take a bit of time if my accounts are not up to date, but the information is all there in my receipts and diary.
With the SEF you have to think too much about everything you do, trying to find alternative ways of writing the same thing, and selling yourself (which doesn't come naturally)