PDA

View Full Version : do you give the kids your coat??

Donkey
26-05-2011, 09:40 PM
went to school to pick up schoolers...

always start with the youngest and work my way round, Mindee, 5 in foundation was born with a heart condition and may need more surgery when he is older so he is prone to infections...

as he was gathering his things I asked where his coat one and he shook his head...

so me being me whipped off my waterproof raincoat and put him in it, pretty much covered him head to toe but at least he didn't get wet... I had a hooded top on, most def not waterproof...

went to get his older sister... no coat... no way I was taking off my hoody!!
went to get another family member, again no coat!!

at least the last 2 had coats but one had no hood :s

family live across the road from school, sister said auntie might be home so we toddled off to her house, no one at home... but at least we sheltered from the worst of the down pour..

got them home.... and at least they didn't get soaked...

but I gave up my coat for the youngest... how many of you would do the same??? just wondering if I am crazy lol

bearing in mind I am recovering from an ear infection!

The Juggler
26-05-2011, 09:47 PM
i have done before - now I keep a large supply of spares and take these with me :rolleyes:

Chimps Childminding
26-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Yes I would have done!! One of my mindees turned up today in just a tee-shirt and leggings (had Forest school so don't need to wear uniform), I found her a hoody out of my spares box to wear to school as I didn't think it was warm enough just for a tee-shirt! Glad I did cause it didn't really warm up much!

emmadines
26-05-2011, 10:20 PM
hummmmm, well id like to say yes but I have 3 and i know if one hasnt got a coat the other two also wouldnt have a coat (they are brothers) the other thing is we back onto the school and the gate is 2 secconds from the door!

onceinabluemoon
27-05-2011, 05:42 AM
Yes I would give them my coat, its not their fault that the adults in their lives didnt think to ensure they would be warm and dry

I have some spare coats here too, and sunhats, and winter hats, and gloves etc etc

mushpea
27-05-2011, 05:57 AM
probably not,, its up to the parents or if olde enough the children themesleves to remeber their coats and if they dont then they get wet,, i can have up to 5 schoolies and if they all forgot coats how do I choose who to give mine too? also if i get ill from getting wet and cold then I have to close.
sorrry if that sounds harsh but I know if I send my child out on trips or to school he goes with everythnig he needs, its not hard to bung suncream, hats and a roll up waterproof coat in a bag with spare cloths.

Louise0208
27-05-2011, 06:03 AM
yes i would...& hope someone would do the same for me if my LOs were getting wet, (not likely to happen) its not there fault mum hasnt got the brains! :p

i just stocked up on pack-a-macs to keep under the buggy £2.99 inc P+P off ebay :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
27-05-2011, 06:17 AM
depends on the age of the child :blush:

If they are older and are capable of taking one themselves without a parent telling them - prob not, and hope they think for themselves next time.

For a younger one, yes - not their fault but would tell them to remind mummy/daddy/other to take it next time.

My kids always had a pack away mac in their bags all year :) and I would suggest to parents to do the same

miffy
27-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Depends whether they're likely to trip over my coat and fall over! In that case NO, wouldn't want to finish up with a trip to A&E!

I do have spare waterproofs for the little ones and umbrellas for the older ones if they want them.

Miffy xx

Vickster
27-05-2011, 06:47 AM
I would or take spares. Although mine would be a trip hazard on them so maybe not a good idea.

MaryMary
27-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Both my after schoolies didn't have coats yesterday, but that is unusual for them. One of the mum's phoned me as it was raining where she was to warn me. I think we had forgotten what rain was here 'cos it hasn't really rained for nearly 3 months!!:eek:

We just hung about in the school until the worst of it had cleared (was approached by a prospective parent while i was waiting :) ) as i had the car but it was parked down the road.

i do have spare coats at home, as I had to use them all the time for a family I used to have :angry:

i think if I had been in your shoes I would have done the same for a LO with known health problems :thumbsup:

Mouse
27-05-2011, 07:59 AM
I must be very cruel as I wouldn't give my coat up for a mindee to wear :blush:

I keep spares here for the littlies, so I can always pop one on them if they haven't got one, but I don't have any for after school children. I do have a selection of umbrellas that I put under the pushchair though. I only do a school pick up now & again, but when I went last week, none of the 3 children had coats. One didn't even have a cardigan. Luckily the rain wasn't very heavy, it wasn't that cold and I did give them each a brolly. It didn't even occur to me to let one of them have my jacket.

I'm afraid that if parents don't think to send them with a coat or pac-a-mac (I know these three have got them), they run the risk of their children getting wet.

rickysmiths
27-05-2011, 08:17 AM
No I wouldn't give a mindee my coat. :eek: It is their parents responsibility to sort their children out at any age.

I still have to point out to both my teenagers 18 and 16 that it might be a good idea to take a coat with them :laughing:

I have bought some rain capes which I take if I know a child wont have a coat. Though if I know a parent always forgets, I get them to provide me with a pac a mac for their child which is kept at my house. :thumbsup:

Mollymop
27-05-2011, 08:26 AM
I am horrible ain't I... because no I wouldn't give them my coat!:blush:

I take spares just in case it rains. But i feel a bit cross doing it, it should be up to the parents to ensure their children have everything they need.

I always make sure my kids have a raincoat in thir bag in the summer just incase it rains on the way home or at school. Our school keep the children outside at playtimes if it is raining (unless it is belting it down)

We walk everywhere and I get fed up with the little ones coming out of school or nursery only for it to rain and they have no coat because it was nice that morning and mum takes them to school in the car. I have to remind parents to bring them all the time

ajs
27-05-2011, 08:32 AM
i have done in the past and probably would in the circumstances that you mention about the child's health ( i wouldn't want a cold or virus affecting his heart)

but if the parents don't send the children in the correct clothing, I will tyr to find them spares but won't put myself out if they don't fit or they won't wear them

AliceK
27-05-2011, 09:33 AM
I must be very cruel as I wouldn't give my coat up for a mindee to wear :blush:

I keep spares here for the littlies, so I can always pop one on them if they haven't got one, but I don't have any for after school children. I do have a selection of umbrellas that I put under the pushchair though. I only do a school pick up now & again, but when I went last week, none of the 3 children had coats. One didn't even have a cardigan. Luckily the rain wasn't very heavy, it wasn't that cold and I did give them each a brolly. It didn't even occur to me to let one of them have my jacket.

I'm afraid that if parents don't think to send them with a coat or pac-a-mac (I know these three have got them), they run the risk of their children getting wet.

Same here. For LO's in the pushchair I have plenty of spare jackets etc and will make sure they stay warm and dry but older children I'm afraid they wouldn't get my coat.

xxx

Louise317
27-05-2011, 10:13 AM
I would have given mine up to :) Parents responsibility, but not child fault...
I send my son in with a waterproof every day regardless of weather that way he's never caught out x

Blaze
27-05-2011, 01:14 PM
I tend to have ponchos / umbrellas on the bottom of the buggy...but if I didn't for some reason, because of this LO's medical circumstances I would give up my coat - but normally I wouldn't - I am far more likely to get ill without it then my schoolies!:rolleyes: :laughing:

Donkey
27-05-2011, 06:09 PM
just astounds me as to why they wouldn't even a little rain coat!!!

I am not having enough spare coats for all my schoolers I picked up 6 yesterday...

I guess my collection might build up as my dd gets older :rolleyes:

i sometimes use one of her old ones for my smallest mindee :)

ORKSIE
27-05-2011, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=Donkey;930301]went to school to pick up schoolers...

always start with the youngest and work my way round, Mindee, 5 in foundation was born with a heart condition and may need more surgery when he is older so he is prone to infections...

as he was gathering his things I asked where his coat one and he shook his head...

/QUOTE]
Errrrr Im sorry but parents dont pack this LO with suitable clothing with a obvious serious condition:panic: Thats awful. Makes ya laff dont it:(
Good for you to put this Lo first. :thumbsup: