PDA

View Full Version : What are the rules on using toilet rolls?

Polly2
26-05-2011, 09:01 PM
I use toilet rolls for craft but recently a parent told me that her lo's nursery don't use them for hygene reasons.

I remember reading something on here a long while ago on this and egg boxes also and there was a link for more info.

What do you all do and does anyone have any official info on this?

Thank you :thumbsup:

MaryMary
26-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Whatever next!!! :mad:

The mind boggles :rolleyes: I do remember reading about heuristic play, and the suggestion was to use cardboard tubes, and added 'not toilet tissue', and I wondered what that was all about?!

What do they think we do with them?! :eek: :laughing:

karen m
26-05-2011, 09:11 PM
well i use toilet rolls and kitchen rolls,never had ofsted comment so will continue to use until told otherwise

Twinkles
26-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Myth !

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/august.htm

RachelE
26-05-2011, 09:17 PM
I must admit I dont keep toilet rolls anymore!

We have 3 bathrooms and in all of those we have free standing toilet roll holders. - where you can stack 4 on it upright and then one at the top.

I have ds (9) and dh - neither of whom can aim straght!! :rolleyes: I dont feel happy handling toilet roll tubes that those 2 may have 'splashed' on!

JMO.

Rachel x

MaryMary
26-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Myth !

Thank you! :clapping: Common sense prevails :jump for joy:

catlyn
26-05-2011, 09:29 PM
I get cardboard tubes from a local factory they are the insides of these

http://www.simplypackaging.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=44

I pick a box up every couple of weeks,.....they are good for some crafts....really rigid and strong but I still use toilet rolls as well

Louise0208
27-05-2011, 06:14 AM
i use them but my DS school wont accept donations of them :rolleyes:

miffy
27-05-2011, 06:51 AM
Myth - must admit though I prefer to use kitchen roll tubes! :laughing:

Miffy xx

Polly2
27-05-2011, 07:14 AM
Myth !

Thank you :clapping: thats the link I was looking for!

tinynippers
27-05-2011, 10:36 AM
the school that i work at are allowed to use egg boxes but not toilet roll tubes xx

rickysmiths
27-05-2011, 10:52 AM
I have never stopped using toilet rolls. I have not infected my children or their friends, numerous cubs or any mindee in the last 18 years :laughing:

Mouse
27-05-2011, 11:08 AM
I have never stopped using toilet rolls. I have not infected my children or their friends, numerous cubs or any mindee in the last 18 years :laughing:

Same here!

We use toilet roll tubes and egg boxes and I've never made anyone ill :thumbsup:

mrs coops
27-05-2011, 11:14 AM
i was told on my icp course not to use loo rolls but my sisters nursery puts them in the microwave for ten seconds to "sterelise" them :blush:

Happy Bunny
27-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Was told by my co-ordinator that we are allowed to use toilet rolls as long as they are put in microwave to sterilise them.

aly
27-05-2011, 12:28 PM
i was told on my icp course not to use loo rolls but my sisters nursery puts them in the microwave for ten seconds to "sterelise" them :blush:
so your sister is happy to put 'infected' rolls in the microwave to 'sterilise' them but not use them without it?...doesn't make sense if there were germs etc stopping us from using them in the 1st place don't you think those germs would now be in the microwave?....and surely 10 seconds is not long enough to 'kill' germs etc anyway?

I use them, didnt do us any harm when we were younger, in fact we did so much when we were younger that ofsted/cssiw would have a fit now...:D:D

aly
27-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Sorry re-read that..your sister's nursery!

nokidshere
27-05-2011, 12:31 PM
:(
Was told by my co-ordinator that we are allowed to use toilet rolls as long as they are put in microwave to sterilise them.

:( yet more people who have no idea what they are talking about!

sweets
27-05-2011, 12:48 PM
whats a bit of wee between friends! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i use them and will continue to do so even if told not too :thumbsup:

Mouse
27-05-2011, 01:00 PM
whats a bit of wee between friends! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That has just made me snort out loud...very unladylike. My son wanted to know what was so funny :laughing: :laughing:

mrs coops
27-05-2011, 01:07 PM
so your sister is happy to put 'infected' rolls in the microwave to 'sterilise' them but not use them without it?...doesn't make sense if there were germs etc stopping us from using them in the 1st place don't you think those germs would now be in the microwave?....and surely 10 seconds is not long enough to 'kill' germs etc anyway?

I use them, didnt do us any harm when we were younger, in fact we did so much when we were younger that ofsted/cssiw would have a fit now...:D:D

I haven't used them because i thought we werent allowed to.And yes it's my sisters nursery that put's them in a microwave not my sister personally.

samb
27-05-2011, 01:28 PM
When I worked at a nursery we weren't allowed to use toilet rolls or egg boxes but I use them here! Was quite surprised that my dd's school uses them though

aly
27-05-2011, 04:13 PM
I haven't used them because i thought we werent allowed to.And yes it's my sisters nursery that put's them in a microwave not my sister personally.
what i was trying to get the point was...

if these toilet rolls are supposed to contain lots of germs why would you put them in the microwave, where you put food in too?

onceinabluemoon
27-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Wouldn't want to eat ion Mrs Coops sisters nursery, specially if I had a microwaved lunch - YEUCK!!

I use toilet rolls, I just check there's no obvious sign of contamination, lol

I've known about the HSE myth thing for a few years not through, theres some really good ones on there form what I can remember...