PDA

View Full Version : what observations for 5month old ?

nelly
26-05-2011, 11:07 AM
hello everyone, im stuck again really dont know what observations to do for a 5 month old baby . any ideas would be most grateful xxxxx:panic:

Pixie dust
26-05-2011, 11:22 AM
how about around PSED - recognising familiar people attachments with special people.

Physical - making movements will they reach for objects/ hold and explore things
maybe use a treasure basket to explore items

Hope thats some help

nicoleon
26-05-2011, 11:27 AM
I agree, PSED and physical will be great. Some do simple mark making at that age as well. Handling things. Responding to outdoor environment; i.e. trip to animal farm etc.

How far is the little one physically? Some crawl with 5 months some only just sit...

nelly
26-05-2011, 11:31 AM
I agree, PSED and physical will be great. Some do simple mark making at that age as well. Handling things. Responding to outdoor environment; i.e. trip to animal farm etc.

How far is the little one physically? Some crawl with 5 months some only just sit...

he's only just rolling over no crawling yet:) x

Greengrass74
26-05-2011, 11:37 AM
How about anticipating food routines, e.g. does the little ones behaviour change just before meal time. Also

Does the little one respond when you copy their sounds. (Communication)
Do they enjoy you rocking/bouncing to music (creative development).
What about mirrors, does the little respond (PSED)
Eye contact, encouraging smiling (Communication)

What about using puppets, jack in the box, anything else that disappears

Hope these help, I find observing little ones of this age fantastic as they are taking in so much and wanting to learn all the time.

Dave

nicoleon
26-05-2011, 11:52 AM
also: things like lying in the baby gym. does he reach out for any of the toys / look at them/ make noises (squeal with delight for example)

The Juggler
26-05-2011, 01:54 PM
i agree, physical and PSED mostly. are they settling well, responding to you and others (children in your setting). What they are looking at, being observant and interested, trying to hold bottle with you when feeding, do they tell you/how when they are wet or hungry.

CLL: responding to noises or facial expression with copying.:thumbsup:

Maza
26-05-2011, 02:24 PM
I think you just answered your own question! You observed him rolling over and so you next steps would be to provide lots of space for floor play - back or tummy to encourage him to roll over more. Or to really extend you could write about providing a bumbo/ring/semi-circle cushion thing to build up core muscles to lead to sitting.