PDA

View Full Version : Lifeline

snufflepuff
26-05-2011, 08:20 AM
I had a phonecall yesterday from a lady who was installing a lifeline system in my Grandad's flat. She asked if it would be ok to use me as an emergency contact and of course I said yes. There's also my Dad- but he lives and works just over an hour away, and a friend of Grandad's who pops in to check on him/ does his shopping for him- but she doesn't drive so she would have to wait for a taxi or walk to him. Which means that the chances are, I would be the one who is able to get to him quickest. I explained that I could be there in 5 minutes if it's just me, but it would be closer to 15 minutes if I'm working and need to strap children in to the car etc.

I've been awake half the night worrying about the practicalities of it all. Making sure all the correct car seats are ready in the car beforehand just incase, getting children in the car, getting them all out at the other end and in to his flat (which is like fort knox!) keeping them all safe and protecting them from potentially seeing something scary- he might have fallen, hit his head, he might have trouble breathing and be very distressed etc. What if the phone rings when i'm expecting a child to arrive?

Maybe i'm worrying needlessly, i'd guess if he needs me it would be in the night as that's when he is at his worst.

Does anyone have any advice?

The Juggler
26-05-2011, 08:52 AM
hon, can you be an emergency 'out of working hours contact' so say they can only put you down as a contact before xam and after xpm??

I know dh's mum had one but if it went off it went to an appointed carer/warden who would come - that might be worth investigating??

miffy
26-05-2011, 09:21 AM
The lifeline system means they ring you as the first point of contact if the alarm goes off.

TBH I would say no during working hours as you will have no idea why the alarm has activated until you get there and it could be a situation you wouldn't want to take mindees into.

Miffy xx