PDA

View Full Version : I've just had a brilliant idea!

keeks
26-05-2011, 06:49 AM
I've been looking for some sort of rubber feet to put on children's chairs and tables when we use them in my laminate floor kitchen. They slide terribly and it's not very safe.

This morning I woke up thinking BALLOONS! Cut the narrow bit off and put it on!

I've not even tried yet but as my sons just shook their heads when I exclaimed I am a genius, I just had to come on here to share my huge brain. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

xx

miffy
26-05-2011, 06:51 AM
I'd never have thought of that........................ does it work?

Miffy xx

clare's bears
26-05-2011, 06:57 AM
let us know if it works need to do mine sounds agood idear.

linzi133
26-05-2011, 07:05 AM
Wow......sounds like itwould work to me!

mummyMia
26-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Sorry, really don't want to ruin your idea:blush: but I would be very careful about using balloons ...

On my first aid course the trainer told us that when a child is choking almost any obstruction can be cleared with a hard thump on the back. The one thing that can't be dislodged is a piece of balloon. All you can do is blow hard over their mouth and pray that it moves down into the lungs. The way he talked about it had us all pretty shocked:(

Or maybe I just worry too much! At least that's what dh seems to think!

Twinkles
26-05-2011, 05:20 PM
very difficult to blow up though :p

funemnx
26-05-2011, 06:03 PM
I bought some felt round things from Homebase to put on mine, they have a sticky bottom to stick on the foot of each chair so that they slide but don't scratch the floor. They come in packs of 8 I think :thumbsup:

Ah, just read your post properly and realise you don't want sliding! Ooops! :blush:

JCrakers
27-05-2011, 08:51 AM
I have a wooden dining table and chairs and a laminate floor. Because my chairs have square based legs I bought a carpet tile from Focus with a sticky backing. Cut it up into tiny squares and stuck them underneath....works a treat..no scratched floor. :D

I put some on my sofa too so when i pull it out to hoover it doesnt mark the floor.
Hope your invention worked :D
Becky x

Mouse
27-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Sorry, really don't want to ruin your idea:blush: but I would be very careful about using balloons ...

On my first aid course the trainer told us that when a child is choking almost any obstruction can be cleared with a hard thump on the back. The one thing that can't be dislodged is a piece of balloon. All you can do is blow hard over their mouth and pray that it moves down into the lungs. The way he talked about it had us all pretty shocked:(

Or maybe I just worry too much! At least that's what dh seems to think!

I have to say, that was my thought as well. I'd be worried about the balloons ripping easily & leaving bits that a child could put in ther mouth. I'd have thought it would only take a couple of scrapes backwards and forwards for them to tear.

What about trying rubber gloves instead? I don't know if you'd be able to cut the fingers off & force them over the legs? I'd guess they'd be harder wearing than a balloon, so less likely to rip & become a choking hazzard.

Mollymop
27-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Won't the balloon rip, that's my first thought? xx

desiderata
27-05-2011, 12:40 PM
What about using some of that rubber matting they use for keeping plates etc. still. You can use glued on the bottom.

The Juggler
27-05-2011, 12:56 PM
or give the bottoms of the legs a good sand down so they don't scratch the floor.

keeks
06-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys, when I put the first balloon on the thought struck me too - what if it comes off and gets stuck in someone's throat! I didn't think of that at first.

So back to the drawing board, I have heard that there are rubber things to put on similar to the felt ones (it's to stop sliding rather than scratching). If I can't find them I'll try the rubber matting, Desiderata. Thanks for the tip!

Mission!

xx