View Full Version : What do we actually "HAVE" to do - training related

Helcatt
25-05-2011, 05:55 PM
I know I have to repeat

First Aid
Safeguarding

every 2 to 3 years

But do I have to repeat

Health and Safety every few years? (what a waste of time that course was, Sarah's E book did the trick)
Food Hygiene

Someone said to me today that there were 5 things that were mandatory, what are they?

HX

FussyElmo
25-05-2011, 06:00 PM
I thought it was just first aid that we legally had to do - all the others are just good practise :thumbsup:

sarah707
25-05-2011, 06:00 PM
First aid is mandatory... safeguarding is very good practice...

Food hygiene might be very good practice or required depending on your local authority (but not for Eyfs).

Thank you for your kind comments about the HACCP e-book my inspector liked my file last week.

Hth :D

Helcatt
25-05-2011, 06:21 PM
First aid is mandatory... safeguarding is very good practice...

Food hygiene might be very good practice or required depending on your local authority (but not for Eyfs).

Thank you for your kind comments about the HACCP e-book my inspector liked my file last week.

Hth :D

This is what I thought - which is why I was confused by this woman today

Ta

HX

chrissie250
25-05-2011, 07:21 PM
IHBC course within 6 months of registration too............although obviously this need not be repeated x

Flisspaps
25-05-2011, 08:55 PM
What's that Chrissie250? I can't find any info on the net about that, and I've never heard it mentioned before.

Pixie dust
25-05-2011, 09:03 PM
it's the new introductory course for home based childcare.

Helcatt
25-05-2011, 09:11 PM
was about to ask the same!

I have the ICP which is what they did when I started and did that before I was registered with Ofsted.

I think this woman must have been confusing "mandatory" and "good practice" though I know the woman in charge of stuff within the council here tries to make out stuff is mandatory even when I know its not. Its what she would like to see happen!

HX

sarah707
25-05-2011, 09:18 PM
The ICP (introduction to childminding) course is called different things depending on where you live in the country.

For example, in Cheshire it's called ICC (introduction to childminding Cheshire).

And yes as Chrissie says it's statutory but once only, not renewed :D

Helcatt
25-05-2011, 09:29 PM
The ICP (introduction to childminding) course is called different things depending on where you live in the country.

I see, just to confuse us thickos

HX

Rubybubbles
26-05-2011, 10:42 AM
First aid
Safeguarding
Risk assessment and health and saftey (one course in bucks)
Inclusion
Behaviour

is that the 5? it better be as I have done 3 out of the 5 this year:laughing: I know all 'good' practice (apart from First aid) also Food hygiene in my bucks

HTH I love nothing more than spending my weekends doing these:rolleyes:

miffy
26-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Only the First Aid is a legal requirement - the others (safeguarding, food hygiene etc) are just considered good practice.

Miffy xx

Helcatt
26-05-2011, 02:35 PM
thanks everyone. You're saying pretty much what I thought. I really could not face the thought of wasting another saturday for a course that is rubbish if I don't HAVE to do it

And the R/A, Health and Safety one that I did was rubbish

Hx

Flisspaps
06-06-2011, 09:35 PM
IHBC course within 6 months of registration too............although obviously this need not be repeated x

I emailed my LA about this as I've been registered for 6 months and had heard nothing about this (or ICP as it can be known) and was told it is not required under EYFS and is not offered in my area, although if I want I can do an NVQ, although I might want to wait until the EYFS review findings are implemented!

mumto3
07-06-2011, 12:13 AM
I emailed my LA about this as I've been registered for 6 months and had heard nothing about this (or ICP as it can be known) and was told it is not required under EYFS and is not offered in my area, although if I want I can do an NVQ, although I might want to wait until the EYFS review findings are implemented!

Where do u live?

So in ur area all u have to do is register with ofsted and off u go, its so wrong, in my area i have to do the new 12 week course that i have to pay £215 to do even tho im fully qualified nvq level 2,3 and 4 in childcare, the whole procedure should be the same throughout all counties

Grrr makes me mad :angry:

Flisspaps
07-06-2011, 07:10 AM
I'm in Telford. Have kept the email in case Ofsted query my lack of relevant qualifications when they visit!

mumto3
07-06-2011, 07:45 AM
U could ring ofsted to ask, it doesnt seem right to me, better to be safe than start minding illegally

Flisspaps
07-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Even if Ofsted say yes, my LA aren't offering it at all to anyone so every new minder in my area will be in the same boat - I've been minding six months now anyway! As she said, it's not a requirement under EYFS - it's not stated anywhere in the guidance that it's needed unlike First Aid.

sarah707
07-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Even if Ofsted say yes, my LA aren't offering it at all to anyone so every new minder in my area will be in the same boat - I've been minding six months now anyway! As she said, it's not a requirement under EYFS - it's not stated anywhere in the guidance that it's needed unlike First Aid.

However the EYFS does require that...

Adults looking after children must have appropriate qualifications, training, skills and knowledge.

This is normally understood by the majority of local authorities (and certainly by Ofsted) to be attendance at an introduction to childminding course.

Plus it is a statutory requirement of the Childcare Register so if you have not done an introduction to childminding course you cannot legally care for children aged 5+...

Childminders must ensure that they successfully complete, within 6 months of registration, a course approved by an English local authority designed to enable the childminder meet the requirements of registration

I hope this clarifies the situation for those childminders who are sending me pms questioning why they have been told by their local authorities that they cannot childmind until they have attended a relevant course. :D

Playmate
07-06-2011, 07:48 PM

New Cm's in my LA now have to do the course on-line offered by NCMA.

mumto3
07-06-2011, 08:04 PM
New Cm's in my LA now have to do the course on-line offered by NCMA.

I wish I could do it online as Im a qualified nursery nurse, do u have to pay for it through ncma?

Flisspaps
08-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Thank you for that Sarah707 - have quoted the line from the CR in another message to the lady that told me nothing was required. Would rather email so that I have responses in writing IYSWIM (can't be told I must have been confused several months down the line then!)

Will be interesting to see what she says. It is ridiculous that each authority has it's own rules though, it would make more sense for the guidance to stipulate that you MUST do X Y or Z course rather than whatever the Local Authority deems to be acceptable. Perhaps my council don't approve of any of them ;)