PDA

View Full Version : need ideas

jaytravis
25-05-2011, 04:53 PM
i look after 2 kids after school age 10 and 8 they donyt normly come in the holidays but she has asked me to have them 1 day nextweek i am ment to have my inspection that week either weds or fri(if she turns up that another post ) thing is the 8 yr boy never wants to do anything what ever i suggest he sais no to or if i ask him he says nothing its not to bad after school as its only a hour but next week i have 9-5 what can i do with him its going to look bad if ofstead come and he is sat watching tv as he wont do anything
help

Louise0208
25-05-2011, 04:55 PM
put a lampshade on his head & bung him in the corner :cool:

no ideas sorry.....nothing occupies my kids that age :blush:

miffy
25-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Give him a pad of post it notes and ask him to write down any toys he would like out to play with and anything he wants to do next week whether it's arts and crafts or a trip to the park.

I have just done this with my children tonight - they have planned out what they want to do. It will be good evidence for Ofsted too! :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Greengrass74
25-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Have you had a chat with his parents to see what he likes and dislikes, maybe he can bring something from home that he loves to play with.

Talk to his school about Maths or english programmes that they use, you will be able to use them to as most are available on the internet, some of them are great fun.

We have a couple of 8 year olds and we work with the school using the same programmes that they use, the kids have great fun on the computer.

Hope this helps and I hope the inspection goes well.

breezy
25-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Good ideas given already, I usually find the parks a winner with older kids !

mushpea
26-05-2011, 06:02 AM
turn off the tv and suggest an activity,, if he dosent want to join in then fine but tell him to find himself somthing to do,,, after school it may just be because hes tierd and knows you will put the tv on, when you have him all day can you take them out for a walk or to the park?

Milli147
26-05-2011, 12:20 PM
These are the same ages as my dd and ds. So am trying to think...

I would definately get something new to get out when Ofsted come, to hopefully engage him.
I know all kids are different but my 8yr old ds would like..

Inside
Lego
Oodles of doodles books
Jump ahead yr 3 or 4 cd rom (educational but fun, honest!)
Planting stuff
Remote control cars
Anything that needs a real (supervised!) hammer and nails, spanner, screwdrivers!

Outside
Football
Basketball
Baseball..u get the idea
Planting
Bug hunting
Den building - either blankets etc or garden canes and branches
Soil and gravel rather than a sandpit, to play with diggers etc, and to 'plant' with branches for trees, rocks, ponds etc

Surely if you put out some of these things even the moodiest 8 yr old would get involved???! Good luck anyway, hth :)

jaytravis
26-05-2011, 12:51 PM
thanks for the ideas everyone i asked him and we are going to do some cooking then some early farthers day stuff

loocyloo
26-05-2011, 01:41 PM
i have been known to 'accidently' unplug the tv before now :rolleyes: amazing how they can entertain themselves when they have to!!! :D

jane5
26-05-2011, 05:39 PM
put a lampshade on his head & bung him in the corner :cool:

no ideas sorry.....nothing occupies my kids that age :blush:

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1: