PDA

View Full Version : Activities: Do you insist children join in?

Chell
25-05-2011, 10:20 AM
I couldn't think how to word the title. :idea:

If you have planned an activity, perhaps baking or something craft around a table then do you expect the children to join in?

With the older children then I always give them the option. The activity is there and it is up to them if they want to join in. The way I see it is that they've been at school all day so they need time to chill out and do as they please.

With the toddlers, I am never sure. Do you just allow them to wander coming back to the activity as they please or do you insist they join in? Just wondering what OFSTEDs view is likely to be if they were inspecting?

mumto3
25-05-2011, 10:23 AM
personally i wouldnt insist on them joining in as i think freedom of choice is important, if they are made to join in then they wont enjoy it or gain from it, thats my view

when i worked in nursery ofsted loved freedom of choice for the children

Playmate
25-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Personally I never force a child to do anything they don't want. I have one child who will not entertain any craft or cooking activity. She loves books and dolls and I just ensure that she has things she can access, is safe and allow her to watch or walk away as she pleases. Hopefully one day she will suprise me and join in :D

Louise0208
25-05-2011, 10:25 AM
i will ask them to join in but i never insist, my LOs never play with what i have 'planned' :rolleyes:

my schoolies never want to do anything....planned or not :p

Stew....pid
25-05-2011, 10:34 AM
i generally get them to plan with me, What shall we do tomorrow ? ive never insisted they join in, i just coax them to have a go :)

grindal
25-05-2011, 10:38 AM
2 of my mindees love "doing" planned activities. They will get involved as I get bits and pieces out, ask me millions of questions about what we are doing, why we are doing it, how it will work etc. My 3rd mindee is far happier being left to get on in her own little world. Sometimes curiosity will get her and she will come and join in, but it is usually quite short lived.
My network DO came to observe me last week and I sat down with mindee and a book and she (mindee) got up walked across the floor, helped herself to her own book and started "reading" it to herself. I asked my DO what I should do if I was being Ofsted observed - and was told the inspectors would far rather see me letting lo get on and interact when she wanted it than force myself to make her interact cos I was being onserved.

Chell
25-05-2011, 10:46 AM
i generally get them to plan with me, What shall we do tomorrow ? ive never insisted they join in, i just coax them to have a go :)
I'm talking about smaller children, those too young to discuss we we'll do.

Chell
25-05-2011, 10:48 AM
2 of my mindees love "doing" planned activities. They will get involved as I get bits and pieces out, ask me millions of questions about what we are doing, why we are doing it, how it will work etc. My 3rd mindee is far happier being left to get on in her own little world. Sometimes curiosity will get her and she will come and join in, but it is usually quite short lived.
My network DO came to observe me last week and I sat down with mindee and a book and she (mindee) got up walked across the floor, helped herself to her own book and started "reading" it to herself. I asked my DO what I should do if I was being Ofsted observed - and was told the inspectors would far rather see me letting lo get on and interact when she wanted it than force myself to make her interact cos I was being onserved.
This is what I meant. This morning we were baking. The little girl who is almost two sat with us the whole time, as did my daughter who is almost three. The little boy, just over two stayed for a minute then lost interest and wandered off which I let him do. I just wondered how much I should persuade him to stay IYSWIM or do I just carry on with the girls.

Stew....pid
25-05-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm talking about smaller children, those too young to discuss we we'll do.

:blush: oooopps

Chell
25-05-2011, 10:53 AM
:blush: oooopps

LOL, I didn't explain myself very well. You know when you think that you are doing something the right way but wonder would OFSTED actually agree. Not that I need to worry about OFSTED for a few years.

sweets
25-05-2011, 12:30 PM
i don't 'make' children join in but they are encouraged, if we are baking then i insist they sit at the table and just watch if they dont want to stir, pour etc.

im sorry but as adults sometimes we have to do things we dont want to do, children should be given lots of choices but not with everything, sometimes they just have to lump it.

i have one little mindee 2.5 who would do absolutly nothing if i didn't 'make' her, she usually ends up enjoying the activity.

my post makes me sound really hard but i'm not really :p

The Juggler
25-05-2011, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't - no. This goes against the principles of the EYFS really :)

miffy
25-05-2011, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't either. I don't see the point as they wouldn't enjoy it

Miffy xx

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
25-05-2011, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't - no. This goes against the principles of the EYFS really :)

Totally agree

sandy64
25-05-2011, 04:55 PM
no i wouldnt make them join in i would offer them maybe books jigsaws drawing on the next table so were still all in one room like us we all dont like doing same thing but would be easier if they did lol:)

sweets
25-05-2011, 04:59 PM
i don't 'make' children join in but they are encouraged, if we are baking then i insist they sit at the table and just watch if they dont want to stir, pour etc.

im sorry but as adults sometimes we have to do things we dont want to do, children should be given lots of choices but not with everything, sometimes they just have to lump it.

i have one little mindee 2.5 who would do absolutly nothing if i didn't 'make' her, she usually ends up enjoying the activity.

my post makes me sound really hard but i'm not really :p

well it looks like i am the only MEAN minder! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

blue bear
25-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Mine do what they like really, I try to offer a variety on the same theme to suit each individual child and their likes/ dislikes. For instance during one inspection the inspector noted how during a painting activity some children were fully involved painting their feet whilst another chose to use a paintbrush, two of the children painted for twenty minutes but the other one painted for 4/5 minutes then played in the water intended to wash off the paint off their hands.

The eyfs is all about individual planning and meeting each Childs needs,

funemnx
25-05-2011, 07:23 PM
Personally I never force a child to do anything they don't want. I have one child who will not entertain any craft or cooking activity. She loves books and dolls and I just ensure that she has things she can access, is safe and allow her to watch or walk away as she pleases. Hopefully one day she will suprise me and join in :D

I've got a little fella like this(train mad), I always ask him and he always says no, hopefully one day he'll change his mind!!

Hebs
25-05-2011, 07:27 PM
i say "right we are going to xxxxx" and they all join in, never EVER had a child yet refuse to do something :thumbsup:

Tinglesnark
25-05-2011, 07:42 PM
We often have this situation, yesterday i set up the playdoh for them all and then our neighbours popped over with their huge traintrack and suddenly our playdoh seemed very boring indeed! So, they set it all up and got stuck in whilst i packed the playdoh away...

I dont make them do anything that they dont want to do :thumbsup:

i will usually have another "activity" that they can get stuck in to If they wander off half way through an activity. (baking for instance) then i will carry on with whomever IS interested and direct the other child to the extra (cars/small world/books/colouring in etc - something "usual" that doesnt need "setting up")

Many a time have i finished off baking a cake on my own, only for them all to suddenly rediscover their enthusiasm when it's time to ice and decorate it! :laughing:

Ah its all a case of "go with the flow" in this house :thumbsup:

Chell
26-05-2011, 06:33 AM

I follow this at meal times. I have one child who often decides he doesn't want to eat as he would rather play. I always say that if he is finished that is fine but he needs to sit until the girls are finished. If he was able to wander off then the girls would decide they were finished too.

Hebs
26-05-2011, 06:42 AM
I follow this at meal times. I have one child who often decides he doesn't want to eat as he would rather play. I always say that if he is finished that is fine but he needs to sit until the girls are finished. If he was able to wander off then the girls would decide they were finished too.

i have this rule too, we all sit at the table together until everyone is finished :thumbsup:

The Juggler
26-05-2011, 08:56 AM
mealtimes and handwashing are the only times I insist:thumbsup:

manjay
26-05-2011, 09:20 AM
mealtimes and handwashing are the only times I insist:thumbsup:

Me too. Making a child do an I activity that I think they may want to do goes against everything I believe in as a childcare provider. I provide provocation in the resources I put out each day but I follow the children's lead in whether they want to do it or not.

As an adult I hate being made to do something that I really don't want to do so I would never insist a child did:D