PDA

View Full Version : E45 cream

mumtodaniel
29-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Hi the mum on one of my mindees wants me to put E45 cream on her daugher as she gets excema, which is worse at this time of year. Would this go on the NCMAQ medication forms, or do I just need to do another permission form for this.

She has asked me to do one for calpol just in case, she is 4 and half and can this be done on a permission form, or does this to have to go in the medication book I have from the nCMA.

sarah707
29-04-2008, 06:10 PM
With the cream, I get written permission from parents to put it on as required, then I make a note of the times when I have done it and parents sign to say they are happy with what I have done... I've got an ongoing medication form.

I do not know what the ncma forms are like - I'm sure someone will come along to help you soon. :D

Heaven Scent
29-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Yes every time you administer the medication or apply cream but it is always handy to have the letter giving concent then get them to sign the form I've heard somewhere that you also need to telephone parents before you actually administer the medication but this is a bit extreme if you have written permission especially in the case of teaching parents and others who are not often easily able to take personal phone calls.

It would be better for them to take time off to look after their children themselves just because they feel a little under the weather - all this permission stuff is getting out of hand one lot of permission and a signature to approve that we have administered the medication should be enough - I know we are in the unfortunate position of not having witnesses when we give medication to children but there has to be a little trust and respect for professionalism - Whose to say that even if someone gets 50 signatures and makes 50 phone calls that they either won't make a mistake or will give a purposeful overdose or underdose to a child. I personally feel that faffing about with all this permission stuff and filling out forms leaves us more open to error. I think the best thing for you to do is call the ncma and your insurance company and ask them for something in writing its all getting very confusing.

buildingblocks
30-04-2008, 07:56 PM
I agree with Sarah. Get mum to signa form to say you can apply the cream and then have a form where you you put the time you apply it and get mum to sign. I had a child who I had to apply cram to for eczema and I noted it eeach day and she signe dat the end of hte week. I also used to put down times on the childs daily dairy sheet (I also do this with medicine as if one parent picks up or someone else the carers a home always know when last dose was given

Rach30
30-04-2008, 08:13 PM
In the NCMA big folder with medication forms in there is one for permission to administer medication or treatmnet over an extended period of time , it give asthma as an example. I would personally use this one or make your own :)

sarah707
30-04-2008, 08:17 PM
I forgot to say... if it's for eczema I would strongly suggest you either wear a glove (not latex in case of allergy) or put cream on a hot washed, non-fluffy cloth (new one each time) and use that to stroke it gently into the skin following the direction of the hairs...

Sounds awful I know, but as the mother of a boy with chronic eczema I would not expect anyone to touch my son's skin - he is prone to infections and I would not be totally comfortable with anyone else risking their health.

Also, e45 often comes in a pot rather than a pump dispenser and every time you put your hand in you are transferring potential infection back into the pot.

I hope this helps! :D

mumtodaniel
01-05-2008, 12:16 PM
thanks sarah will do. This little girl only has very mild eczema and the mum uses the cream as a preventive method.

She has asked to me to put in on once a day when she is here, she is here three times a week. Can I get her to sign a permission form that covers this, or do I have to get her to sign each and every time. Could do letter that says if more than once a day to get permission etc. What do you think?

ajs
01-05-2008, 12:22 PM
i haven't read any of the other posts cos i know sarah knows what she's talking about but

can i just say that both my daughter and myself are highly allergic to e 45
i use to use it on charlotte's excema on her face and it was always really sore then one day my hands were covered in the most awful rash so i put two and two together and stopped using it all together after a while charlotte's excema cleared up and so did my hands.
no idea if it was causing the excema or making it worse but we stay well clear of it now

sarah707
01-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Lots of people have reactions to E45... I think it's because it contains anhydrous lanolin ... it's made from sheep's wool... lots of people I know via my National Eczema Society membership are very allergic to lanolin.

I use Diprobase on prescription for every dry patch on everyone in the house and have never had a problem... might be worth mentioning this to mum if she's bought it off the counter or if the dry skin seems not to be getting any better. :D

Blaze
01-05-2008, 01:17 PM
I can't use E45 either...though lanolin nipple cream I have no problm with!:rolleyes: :D