PDA

View Full Version : food safety & hygiene dept visit...help

jellybean cc
24-05-2011, 06:24 PM
I have just got a phone call from the council to say they are coming on Friday to inspect my kitchen.

help, advice, anything, please.

what do i need to know and remember. I did the on-line course but it was so long ago.

thanks for any help advice anyone can give. They are coming at 12 o'clock so dinner is going to have to wait till 1:00. mind you we normally sit down to eat at 12:00 so if i stick to normal time my kitchen could be so full of used cooking pots he wont be able to inspect properly. lol

Milli147
24-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Mine was really nice!
She didn't quiz me on the course questions, just asked me about where I buy food, checked I kept all receipts, how I stored it, whether it was cooked fresh or reheated, and how I would reheat if so.
She didn't look in my freezer or cupboards, and only checked my fridge as an afterthought!
She did ask about my animals..how I made sure they did not come into contact with food or surfaces. My cats are too fat or old to jump up onto the surfaces anyway but I always clean them before use in any case.
She asked if I used a meat and a fridge thermometer, I do have a fridge one, but not a meat one - she said maybe have a look and see if I thought it would be useful!
She liked my colour coded chopping boards (Lakeland)! I do remember her being very interested in those!
Honestly it was so informal - I think they can see within 2 minutes of coming into your home and meeting you if they have anything to worry about!

Greengrass74
24-05-2011, 07:10 PM
We just had ours and she was really pleased with the set up. The things she asked and looked at were

-Fridge thermometer and logging the temp daily
-cloths used, we use J-Cloths
-differant coloured chopping boards for meat, veg etc
-no house plants in kitchen
-she asked a lot about reheating food and chilling of food
-personal hygiene
-pet food and feeding pets, we have a small westie
-food storage
-food allergies of any minded children
-chemical used for cleaning
-cleaning schedule
-keeping a diary.

You should have been given a "Safer food better business for childminders" folder from the Food standards Agency,which has all the info you need.

She was really nice and friendly, in fact she was pregnant and local to our area so she took one of our business cards, so she must of been happy.

I agree with Milli they can tell within the first couple of minutes so first impressions are important

Good luck for the visit

Greengrass74
24-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Here is a link to the "Safer food better business for childminders" folder

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/sfbbcmcomplete.pdf

jellybean cc
25-05-2011, 04:35 PM
thank you for your replies, they are a great help.
roll on Friday afternoon when its over.

jellybean cc
27-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Well he came today and all went well. Need to wear a hat when cooking and apron. Should change into separate cloths before cooking as play cloths might be infected.
But we got a grade 5 which is the top one in my area and we are going to get a sticker to go in the window saying we are a grade 5.

so as we have a good kitchen we are treating ourselves to take out tonight, after all i don't want to mess my clean kitchen up do i ...lol

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

tulip0803
27-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Congratulations:clapping:

miffy
27-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Well he came today and all went well. Need to wear a hat when cooking and apron. Should change into separate cloths before cooking as play cloths might be infected.
But we got a grade 5 which is the top one in my area and we are going to get a sticker to go in the window saying we are a grade 5.

so as we have a good kitchen we are treating ourselves to take out tonight, after all i don't want to mess my clean kitchen up do i ...lol

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

Glad it went well but......................... change your clothes before cooking? wear a hat and apron? Give me strength! :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

Flisspaps
27-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Should change into separate cloths before cooking as play cloths might be infected.

So who does he think is going to be supervising the children while you're off getting changed into cooking clothes and then back out again after your meal?

Louise0208
27-05-2011, 06:40 PM
i prepare food 5 times a day....id spend more time in the bedroom getting changed :rolleyes:

.....and im not wearing a hat for anyone!

miffy
27-05-2011, 06:49 PM
i prepare food 5 times a day....id spend more time in the bedroom getting changed :rolleyes:

.....and im not wearing a hat for anyone!
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Miffy xx