PDA

View Full Version : potty training need help please

TRACEY1969
24-05-2011, 05:20 PM
This mindee has just turned 3 years and we have tried potty/toilet training him now for the last 3 months. He wares pull ups because if he wees or poohs himself in pants he screams that loud social services might pay me a visit. Mom and Dad say they have tried everything stickers, books, toys, dolls sitting on potty, watching dad go to toilet, favourite snacks you get the idea. It also doesn't help that mindee doesn't talk he is still in mumble jumble speach and i have metioned that he should say some words by now (but he can count to 30 and say them backwards) i told them to visit the health visitor not just for his speach but he never interacts with anyone. They said they did book him in for his speach but have to wait 6 months. Mindee starts school in September, can anyone help with some ideas please.

Health visitor say mindee is just fine and theres no problems (i sightly disagree)

blue bear
24-05-2011, 05:32 PM
I try potty training for one week and if by wednesday there is no progress i put them back on a nappy and try again in a couple of weeks.

Sounds like this little man does not want to play ball, personally I would forget about it for a while and try again later.

Potty training should be a fun game with lots of reward(praise).

Have you tried looking up speech on the internet to gage whether he is in the bounds of normal or not for his age?

Louise0208
24-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Im not a big fan of pull-ups, i have potty trained 4 of my own children & 6 mindees (while minding years ago) & not 1 has been able to use pull-ups as they are intended.

They look, feel & do what a nappy does so LO is basically being told to not do what s/hes been doing natrally in nappies for the past 3 years ....as soon as i go with pants only its soo much easier as LOs do not like the feeling of wet clothes.

iv been through potty training this month with my own DD, we used pull ups for the first week when we were out & about & she might as well of wore a nappy so we took the plunge & chucked them....dry now for 2 weeks :thumbsup:

TRACEY1969
24-05-2011, 05:50 PM
I try potty training for one week and if by wednesday there is no progress i put them back on a nappy and try again in a couple of weeks.

Sounds like this little man does not want to play ball, personally I would forget about it for a while and try again later.

Potty training should be a fun game with lots of reward(praise).

Have you tried looking up speech on the internet to gage whether he is in the bounds of normal or not for his age?

not tried the internet yet but cm who come to mine for play days have also mentioned his speach and not interacting e.g story time or singing we sit in a circle and mindee just walks off and plays by himself.

Tried potty/toilet training before Xmas then we stoped due to mindee crying all the time so we tried again 3 months ago all he says is No his only word. School starts September and he really needs to be out of nappies/pull ups otherwise i have to go to the school and change him because school wont.

TRACEY1969
24-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Im not a big fan of pull-ups, i have potty trained 4 of my own children & 6 mindees (while minding years ago) & not 1 has been able to use pull-ups as they are intended.

They look, feel & do what a nappy does so LO is basically being told to not do what s/hes been doing natrally in nappies for the past 3 years ....as soon as i go with pants only its soo much easier as LOs do not like the feeling of wet clothes.

iv been through potty training this month with my own DD, we used pull ups for the first week when we were out & about & she might as well of wore a nappy so we took the plunge & chucked them....dry now for 2 weeks :thumbsup:

parents said they have tried pants on him but he screamed and cried when he wet himself he stood in a corner of the room. neighbours went round to see what was going on

AliceK
24-05-2011, 08:19 PM
not tried the internet yet but cm who come to mine for play days have also mentioned his speach and not interacting e.g story time or singing we sit in a circle and mindee just walks off and plays by himself.

Tried potty/toilet training before Xmas then we stoped due to mindee crying all the time so we tried again 3 months ago all he says is No his only word. School starts September and he really needs to be out of nappies/pull ups otherwise i have to go to the school and change him because school wont.

When you say school, do you mean the pre-school / nursery, free 3hr day type place? Only asking as if so then they can't exclude for him wearing pull-ups and they should be able to change him if he needs it. I only know this as my DD started nursery in Jan just after her 3rd birthday and I specifically looked into this and then asked them about it as she was in pull-ups too.
Sorry if that wasn't what you meant.

xxxx

francinejayne
24-05-2011, 08:30 PM
When you say school, do you mean the pre-school / nursery, free 3hr day type place? Only asking as if so then they can't exclude for him wearing pull-ups and they should be able to change him if he needs it. I only know this as my DD started nursery in Jan just after her 3rd birthday and I specifically looked into this and then asked them about it as she was in pull-ups too.

xxxx

Was just about to say the same. My son has just turned 3 and started pre-school / nursery 2 afternoons a week just to get him mixing with other children and used to leaving mummy! He is still in nappies and is showing no interest in potty training whatsoever. I have tried him a few times but he just has no idea yet. Nursery do deal with him if he needs changing whilst he is there. I wouldn't worry about the potty training for your mindee yet, he just isn't ready. As for the speech side of things then maybe the little one needs help?

TRACEY1969
25-05-2011, 07:30 AM

xxxx

yes he starts nursery 3hrs a day and have stated to parents they wont change him and if he poohs they will ring me to change him. Im not happy to do this but i do charge all day for his place as i have him in the hols full time. I have told parents that i have other children in my care and im not happy if i get a call from school to change him because its not fare on the other children if we are out at playgroups etc.

Chimps Childminding
25-05-2011, 09:34 AM
yes he starts nursery 3hrs a day and have stated to parents they wont change him and if he poohs they will ring me to change him. Im not happy to do this but i do charge all day for his place as i have him in the hols full time. I have told parents that i have other children in my care and im not happy if i get a call from school to change him because its not fare on the other children if we are out at playgroups etc.

Sorry, but I wouldn't be sending him to a nursery that won't change him if he has an accident!!! What if you were out and it was going to take you a while to get back in order to change him, would they just leave him in it :eek:

Also what do you do with your other mindees while you go into the nursery to change the child :angry:

I would suggest to mum that he stays with you for a little longer until he is properly potty trained and then look at sending him to nursery at a later date!

AliceK
25-05-2011, 09:50 AM

If I were his mum I would challenge this. My DD had pull-ups on and if she pooed they would change her, also if she was very wet they would also. I would be speaking to the head of F1 on this and then if no joy go to the head.
Sorry, that doesn't help your problem though does it.
It sounds like LO just isn't ready for toilet training yet. My DD managed to go straight from pull-ups into pants and has only had 1 accident and that was deliberate (don't ask!!). But she was 3yrs and 7mths, she just wasn't ready before then.

xxxxx

TRACEY1969
25-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Sorry, but I wouldn't be sending him to a nursery that won't change him if he has an accident!!! What if you were out and it was going to take you a while to get back in order to change him, would they just leave him in it :eek:

Also what do you do with your other mindees while you go into the nursery to change the child :angry:

I would suggest to mum that he stays with you for a little longer until he is properly potty trained and then look at sending him to nursery at a later date!

if he misses the September intake the other intake isn't till the following September and i think the parents need a wake up call about his speach and interacting as i think he needs more help with both. I am going to ring the school as i have a good relationship with them to find out there rules and regulations on this.