PDA

View Full Version : In A Pickle i think...

VINASOL
24-05-2011, 10:01 AM
my girls are playing and I'm excluded :eek: and not allowed to watch so am peeking over my laptop :blush:

When I signed up parent we contracted 3 days a week, flexible days which at the time was made out to sound ocassionaly would move days. Now, however, it has changed and parent's days change each term (haven't done an amendment to the contract)...so contract says Tue, Wed and Thur. She asked to change dates this term to Mon/Tue/Wed which meant that the first week of this month was a BH (which I don't usually charge and did not realise when first agreed) so how can I justify charging for Monday (i.e. I'd only be paid 2 days instead of 3).

She's changing days next term too and whereas I never have them on a friday as dad is home, she will be working on a wed/thur/fri...so i did query that it was definitely 3 days a week (we have a 6 week notice/change period).

Now I don't mind the swapping of days as it suits me fine, but as long as i get paid for 3 days a week - so have done invoice in this way - is this acceptable?

sarah707
24-05-2011, 05:13 PM
I think you need to sit down with the parents and write down exactly what they need and exactly what it will cost them.

That way you can both be sure you are following your contract / fees policy.

Hth :D

miffy
24-05-2011, 05:17 PM
I agree with Sarah, you need to update your contracts to cover the changes.

Mum may well expect to only pay for the two days the children are with you.

Miffy xx

wendywu
24-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Just say that as long as you get paid for 3 days per week then that is fine.

Many minders will not swap days so she is getting a good deal. Otherwise she could do this every time a BH comes up. :)

VINASOL
25-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Just say that as long as you get paid for 3 days per week then that is fine.

Many minders will not swap days so she is getting a good deal. Otherwise she could do this every time a BH comes up. :)

don't know what to do.

Contract DOES state 3 days flexible...tried to explain to mum that had she not changed her day from Thursday to Monday i would have been paid 3 days that week. Because the Monday was a BH and I didnt' have them she says that she shouldn't pay.

Also, she has changed days for next term to Wed, Thur, Fri but (she is a teacher) her last day is 21st so doesn't need me on the friday, BUT our term-time finishes on 22nd so TECHNICALLY she should pay (although I have decided not to work on that day).

She says that she wants 3 Flexible days per week, but if it ends up only being 2 days a week then she should only pay for the day she uses.

No nursery/ASC would do that? I also reminded her that I don't consider inset days as part of the school term although a lot of CMs do and charge for it whether they come to them or not.

she DOES get a good flexible deal with me and she is using the fact that I am a new CM to get her own way (her old CM refused flexible days).

Not sure where to go from here as she refuses to pay

kindredspirits
25-05-2011, 08:43 AM
if your contract says 3 days a week - then charge for 3 days a week. Simple.

I'd be inclined to call her bluff and tell her that if she is not happy with that then you will adjust the contract so she pays for 3 set days a week with no flexibility - she can't have it both ways.

VINASOL
25-05-2011, 08:48 AM
if your contract says 3 days a week - then charge for 3 days a week. Simple.

I'd be inclined to call her bluff and tell her that if she is not happy with that then you will adjust the contract so she pays for 3 set days a week with no flexibility - she can't have it both ways.

She has asked that we sit down and re-do contracts for new term in September to state that she doesn't pay for days if fall on a BH monday or if only uses 2 days....but DH doesn't want me to...Gosh, I have definitely learnt some things...

moogster1a
25-05-2011, 08:59 AM
No No No!! She does not dictate the terms of the contract.
You are self employed. if you want to charge for BH's then you charge.
If you want to charge for 3 days a week you charge for them.
She is not your boss. Tell her you are happy to have her only pay for 2 days a week, bu they must then be set days and you won't be able to take her child on other days as you will have other mindees to fill those days.
Otherwise, she can pay for a minimum of 3 days a week and use any 3 she wants subject to suitable notice ( which is a good deal for her)