PDA

View Full Version : overnight care

emily79
23-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Hi I live in a 2 bed house with my house mate we both want to start childminding together as we have both worked in childcare for a number of years we have our briefing session next wednesday. Do you have to have separate rooms for overnight care or can the children share the room with you? our rooms are huge and they will have their own beds obviously We do this with our friemds and families kids when they stay.

HMT81
25-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Hi, as far as I am aware they cannot be in the same room as you

missnaughty
25-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Hi, as far as I am aware they cannot be in the same room as you

Do you know if they can stay in the same room as another child?

HMT81
26-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Do you know if they can stay in the same room as another child?

I'm sorry I don't know. Might be worth phoning Ofsted and asking them

Stew....pid
26-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Id say thats a big no no and OFSTED wont allow it to happen, we do overnight and respite and had to show we had a spare childfriendly room for the children to use, having a child in your room could lead to complications, what you could do is you and your room mate share 1 room and change the other bedroom into a childfriendly bedroom, but would seek advice from OFSTED before you go spending money as they may still refuse you overnight care on your certificate.

tinynippers
26-05-2011, 12:30 PM
im reg for overnight care, in most circumstances each child has to have their own room, but i have recently received permission (also parent signed extra permission form) for a girl to share with my dd as she's in the same class at school this child will be on a bottom bunk and my dd is on the top. she's 5 and dd 5 next month, if it had been a male child it would not have been allowed. i also have permission for another child to be in my room as its a baby but as soon as he is 9 months he has to be in room on his own i only have him aprox twice every 4 weeks but when i do my ds comes in with me on his ready bed. hope this helps a bit. xxx

jane5
26-05-2011, 06:09 PM
I am registered for overnight and ofsted wanted to know at my pre reg inspection how many children and what ages at any one time.

I said 2 children under 8 (this is now on my registration certificate so if you want more then say how many) and they said that it was fine for them to share my 2 year old dd's bedroom with her. They don't have to have a room each and I could put an 7 year old boy in the room with her even though I personally wouldn't because I dont think this is appropriate.

If they where over 8 then it has to be girls and boys separate.

I don't know about sharing a room with you because I haven't registered my bedroom for childminding so this did not come up.

Ofsted where more concerned about clean bedding for each child, having a toothbrush for each child and whether I would be close enough to hear them if they woke in the night.

As some one else said maybe you and your friend could share if you do have mindees overnight as to be honest it is not going to be every night.

TinaH
26-05-2011, 08:28 PM
I just recently had my pre-reg visit and I am going to be registered to have 1 overnight. I asked the inspector if mindees need to have their own room and she said no. I told her babies under 6 months would sleep in my room in a travel cot and older children in my son's room and she was fine with this. I didn't actually ask if older children would be allowed to sleep in my room as I would feel weird about this. I was intending on buying a mattress to go on the floor in my son's room but the inspector suggested that I could just put the mindee in the same bed as ds :eek: :eek: :eek: (he is 3 and sleeps in an adult sized double bed). I was quite surprised and queried this but she said it would be fine as long as the sheets were clean. So you might just find that Ofsted are more flexible than you think. Best to just wait until your pre-reg visit and ask. You may find that they will only register you for one or two overight even if you are allowed more children during the day.